Sign in to follow this  
Nur

The Nail Of Juhaa

Nur   

Nomads

I am starting this thread as a continuation of a discussion about the conflict in Somalia with brothers Norfsky, Xiinfanin and Castro. But its open for all to participate.

The driver of this topic is a confusion on the identity and the secret hands behind the latest Mogadishu Bombing in which three Ministers and many Medical students were killed in a coldblooded carnage while many others were injured. This particular incident was one of many similar violent incidents as well as many indiscriminate heavy artillery shelling that has mercilessly targeted civilians as a collective punishment by proxy international actors in the current Somali political dilemma. A single life that is lost is as precious as any other life, an incident that claimed the lives of 70 Somalis as well as over a hundred wounded civilians by the African mercenary forces in Mogadishu did not warrant any denunciation from the media, and hence from Somalis abroad.

No one has claimed this latest senseless bombing which is mysteriously monopolized by the TFG and, to date, no independent commission was appointed as required to analyze the evidence collected at the site, such as blood samples, phone records just before the bombing, the trail of Hotel visitors up to the date of the incident and much more data to verify expeditious claims made by the TFG Government, as well as conducting a long term investigation of the drivers of this unfortunate incident.

But, for a reason beyond me, The International news Media (which will be driven out of business soon by freelance journalists in the internet) is skillfully proving John Kennedy's famous theory right; that its possible to fool some of the people all of the time. As a result of that theory, its becoming popular these days among Somali intellectuals to blame the Shabab Al Mujahidoon movement for this particular incident despite their immediate and vehement denial of taking any part in this atrocious incident.

This incident is only a symptom, but not the ailment that we as Somalis are suffering from, so to get to the bottom of this affair, we need to dig deep below the surface to find out the real ailment, because, as long as we are constantly distracted by these side events, as unfortunate as they are, we will never have the time to diagnose the true ailment that is ripping us apart nor the time to find a suitable permanent cure for our national dilemma.

The Somali dilemma is very complex, and as we all know, complexity calls for more and deeper knowledge of the conflict variables and their attributes to solve the equation. This conflict has multiple players, some are in the ring, while others are quietly coaching the players, and are in reality pulling all the strings of the events that is causing the ailment in Somalia.

Since the collapse of the Siad Barre regime back in 1991, foreign players with an international cover have failed bringing peace to Somalia on their own terms after purposefully igniting the 18 year old civil war with an inter-clan enmity, Iraq style. But in a miraculous turn around of events, and against all odds, from the rubble of that civil war, an Islamic uprising headed by the Islamic Courts of Somalia regained the upper hand from the CIA trained and funded inter-clan civil war instigators and warlords. In part, this was due to the Somali social nature, who are both naive (Libaax nimaan oqoon baa hilib ka soo rita) and nosy, two unique characteristics that made it impossible for foreign designs to succeed as planned, and which continues to be the case to this date.

The current conflict has historical as well as political and lately religious roots that have to different degrees contributed to the complexity of this conflict.

The way to solve a complex problem is thus, to simplify it by isolating factors apart and grouping like factors on one side of the equation, and their probable outcomes and impacts on the other. By studying each factor and its contribution to the whole problem, we can then categorize the weights of these factors based on a set of criteria to assess their impact, which will allow us to start somewhere on what the problem owners value most. At this point, we should have generated a list of factors in which the factor with the most impact is listed as No. 1.

Logically, then, we need to approach the most devastating factor of all, without which addressing other factors will be an exercise in futility. This is the most basic way to approach a problem with this complexity.

Before I delve deeper into the nature of above factors and analyze their interactions, I would like to share with you all an inspirational story, which I have selected as the title of this debate:

The Nail Of Juhaa.

Musmaarkii Juxaa

Once upon a time, there was a man called Juxaa. Juxaa used to own a house and he wanted to sell it, even though he wanted to leverage some permanent control over the property.

So, in the property sale contract, Juxaa put a very fine line : That a specific nail on the wall should not be included in the sale and not removed from the wall as he had a sentimental attachment to that nail and he could not sell it as a part of the house.

The buyer hurriedly agreed to this small, but significant condition of sale, as he believed that it would not interfere in the usage of the property.

Few days later, Juxaa showed up to visit the house he sold, and when the new owner asked him why he visited, Juxaa responded : " Oh, I came here to visit my nail, I miss it!"

The new owner, amused at first, welcomed Juxaa in his house, served food and drinks generously, but the frequency of subsequent visits has remarkably increased to the point that the new owner could not tolerate to have Juxaa show up anytime , day or night at his house with the pretext of visiting his nail on the wall.

One day, Juxaa visited the house and as usual, the new owner served him food and drinks, but Juxaa wouldn't leave. When it became very late, almost time to sleep, the agitated owner asked him to leave, but Juxaa shot back at him claiming that he has a fundamental right to sleep under his nail, which was in the contract.

The new owner of the house, sold the house back to Juxaa at a significant loss.

Moral of the story.

We Somalis have inherited Juxaa's nail from Imperial powers, only to discover that now that our current dilemma, in addition to our nice little clan conflict dimension, has also another dangerous dimension: Imperial Owners who have an interest to visit and sleep under their nail:

The War On Terror Nail which is a pretext for A. Securing Natural Resources, (i.e. Oil & Gas, etc), B. Strategic Regional Designs ( Military Bases), C. Protection of the warlords whom they have empowered to legitimize the Somali National Resources heist

Lets get on with the critical complexities driving current events. And as I've said, our aim is to take an inventory of the players and their impact on vital issues affecting the lives of the Somali People. Once we capture the main factors, we shall analyze their interactions and impact on Somali national interests. The following is a non exhaustive list, please remind me if I have forgotten a vital impact factor.

Bismillah, wa bihi nastaciin:

Somalia's Nation -Rescue and Building Dilemma

A. IMPACT Issues

A.1 Sharia Law and Order

Independence of the Judiciary

Sovereignty and Territorial Integrity

A.1.1 National Security

Transparent Governance and Civil Service

National Defense

National Guard

Military

Police

Intelligence ( Criminal Investigation Dept. )

International Counter Intelligence

A.1.2 Islamic Judicial System

A.2 Moral Issues

A.2.1 Gender Issues

A.2.2 Public Decency and acceptable social norms

A.3 Human Welfare Issues

A.3.1 Public Health and the Internally Displaced

A.3.2 Education and basic skills training

A.4 Natural Resources

A.4.1 Oil and Gas National Strategy Law

A.4.2 Minerals National Strategy Law

A.4.3 Food supply chain

A.5 The Environment

A.6 Private Properties and Public Land

Players:

B Local Somali Groups

B.1 Xizb Al Islam

B.2 Shabab

B.3 Sufi Group

B.4 Warlords

B.5 TFG Government

C Foreign Stake Holders

C.1 US

C.2 Ethiopia

C.3 Kenya

C.4 IGAD

C.5 UN

C.6 EU

C.7 NGOs

Analyses:

I will begin this analysis with a question posed by brother Xiin:

What do the Al Shabab Movement want?

This type of question in the Arabic Balaagha, is known as "Tajaahul al Caalim". The subtle philosophical aspect of this question implies that Xiin does not not know, when its a given that he has already taken a firm position of what they want, with which he clearly does not agree with.

This type of question is usually asked from a higher ground, an authority of sorts, that has secured some tangible gains on the ground while a competitor, through violence is undermining its legitimate authority.

Clearly, the above is not the case, and in a conflict, where both parties claim to be on the higher ground, the way to mediate is to equate the parties and to force them to be arbitrated by a single Sovereign authority that they both obey. Logically then, it follows that we need to start the analysis from the perspective of that highest Authorities, which in our case is Allah SWT, the only authority that both parties claim to have surrendered to.

Allah SWT says:

"Fa In tanaazactum fi Shey-in, fa rudduuhu, ilaa Allah, wa ilaa arrasuul" meaning when you disagree on an issue, refer it to Allah SWT "The Quraan), and the Messenger" (of Allah) The Sunnah.

Therefore, InshAllah, I will be mapping all the above issues and their impacts with the Quraan and the Sunna to see if we are off the mark or if we are indeed on the right track, Siraatul Mustaqeem, and not on the Siraatul Daalliin, nor the Siraat of Al Maghduubi Caleyhim, because, a lost person does not guide others..

I will begin my analysis of the problem by discussing the moral of the Islamic Sharia. The five kulliyaat, of which the preservation of faith is the most important. The effect of the impact issues on the preservation of faith shall be examined in depth, followed by a similar analysis of the other Kulliyaat.

...................To be continued inshAllah!

Nur

2009 e-Nuri Problem Solvers

We Attack Problems, Not People!

Great post ya Nur. Though my hope that you would not labor on the details of the conflict (who killed the ministers, who committed suicide at a particular event, and who shelled the masses…etc) seems to have been dashed.

Nevertheless we can still, I hope, talk about the current gridlock and identify which party in this conflict summoned its strengths to continue the violence and reject dialogue. In its most contemporary definition, conflict arises when there is a clear divergence of interest. That is to say, parties’ aspirations cannot be simultaneously achieved. The incompatibility of interests therefore lays the foundation for the basic construct of a zero-sum scheme. To diminish such pronounced divergence of interests, one must possess deep understanding of the interests, and aspirations of both sides. And with wisdom and prudence, one would hope, favorable alternatives that satisfy both parties could be found. And with that framework in mind, lets not become fixated upon reading narrow narratives risking important matters, and even the large picture of why the conflict is occurring in the first place, recede into the background. Also, as a rule in this debate, lets not cite known grievances to rationalize one party’s madness.

I begin with a simple proposition, followed by an easy query: Alshabaab ya Nur as I said many times before has become the primary driver of current violence and mayhem in Somalia. This ya Nur might not have been the case few years back. But it’s sadly so today. As a man who insists on giving this group the benefit of the doubt, I would like you list what are the aspirations of alshabaab. In a bullet point fashion, enumerate, if you will, the primary objectives alshabaab are fighting for to achieve.

Once those become clear, we shall evaluate whether these goals are valid, and if yes whether they are realistic, and if yes, what are the best options to achieve them. We shall then take a look at what alshabaab did vs. what the other party did to step back from this deadly standoff.

As a footnote, conflicts are not always resolvable, or have possibility of fair settlements. But they are all manageable. We will see insha Allah what method would be most applicable to Somalia’s stalemate.

N.O.R.F   

Nur, will post my ones and twos soon. However, I believe we should be following Xiin's proposition if we are to get to the crux of the issue.

Nur   

Akhwaani Xiin and Norfsky

The real question is not what the Shabab want, its what the warlords lurking behind the flimsy government of Sheikh Sharif want? there was no problem between the members of the Former alliance of the Islamic Courts Union up until when the will of those who decided to join the warlord government was broken while the Shabaab and the Xizbul Islam factions stuck to their guns and kept on fighting the Ethiopians until they drove them out in humiliation.

If we want to solve the current debacle, we need to return things back to the state of affairs of summer of 2006. The blatant invasion of Ethiopia and its destruction of what was left of the warlords 16 years of mayhem and chaos, who have also assisted the Ethiopian invasion and the covert military cover of the CIA has created the current intransigence of the resistance movements in Somalia. Simply, they don't trust someone who failed to destroy them.

In Somalia, well recorded gross violations have taken place committed by many players who have collectively stand behind these heinous crimes against humanity in Somalia, The UN has violated its mandate, the Ethiopians have violated Somalia's sovereignty, and the Americans in their wild goose chase, have reverted to a Fascist state respecting no human values nor any international law including their own.

When I started this thread I planned to address the core issues that are driving the Somalia problem. its hasty to simplify the problem by asking what a particular group wants.

Please allow me to complete the above thread so that I can enumerate all the factors that are contributing to the current violence in Somalia.

Nur

Abtigiis   

Originally posted by Nur:

while the Shabaab and the Xizbul Islam factions stuck to their guns and kept on fighting the Ethiopians until they drove them out in humiliation.

Nur

Shiekh Nur, kolkaa dadka miyey xorynayeen mise way xoraysanayeen; si ay maalinba mid dhagax iyo qarax ugu dilaan.

I have read your posts and most dwell much on conspiracy theories and factual global power dynamics which the Somali's, of all nations, can do nothing about. If America wants to dominate the world, if the Israel's are oppressing the Palestinians, and if America wants to encircle China by taking Afghanistan, surely the salvation for those wronged nations can not come from Somalia.

Waa islaantii xaabada la liicaysay ee tiri in kale iigu dara oo kale xaalkaaku ya sheikh.

Ethiopia threatened Somalia's territorial integrity and Sovereignty. Alshabab threaten the very existence of Somalia,as a country and as a people. Alshabab are worse. And this is not coming from a fan of Ethiopia, as you may have followed on this site. I will prefer to live with Ethiopia than Alshabab and their ilk.

Nur   

Abtigiis writes:

I will prefer to live with Ethiopia than Alshabab and their ilk.

You have my sincere prayers for your wish, to be with them in this life, and to be raised with them in the day of judgement. Amin.

Based on a Hadeeth by Prophet Muhammad SAWS that everyone will be raised with those they like.

Nur

Abtigiis   

Dear Sheikh Nur,

I hold you with high regards and it is not easy for me to say what I said there. But I genuinely feel you are in denial mode the last couple of months and don't say the right things about Alshabab and their atrocities. And in case you think the Taliban way of governance was better than what Americans are doing in Afghanistan, you may look at Kabul today and compare that with when the Talib's were in control.

The type of theocracies espoused by Taliban, Shabab has no place in Somalia. The Somali public doesn't want it and it will be very dictatorial of you if you think it should be imposed on them.

Alshabab, Xisbul Islam and all politically motivated religious organizations who crave for power will be completely destroyed as they are an imposition on the Somali people.

Tell me why they ate fighting today if they wanted the country to be freed from Ethiopia? You will say it is because the Ugandese (kuffars) replaced Ethiopians! Fine, but tell me what these bunch of former-thugs-turned wadaads will do if they have their way. Will they not be imposing the kind of rule they imposed in the areas they already control? I don't have to see all the movie they are about to introduce to Somalia to judge them. I have seen a promotional clip and that is sickening.

AT, your way of thinking and vocabulary is rather unislamic, "theocracy" in the sense of Shariah and rule by the learned, or Ulamas, is exactely what we should strive for as Muslims.

Actually, no matter the mistakes of the Taliban, you have no choice but to prefer them, and by far, to any secular government.

To put things in their context, and however cynical this may sounds, the hasty or faulty implementation of Shariah and any resulting injustice is almost irrelevant in the bigger scheme of things.

As for brother Nur, though I may point out to some inaccuracy (Ethiopians left only through As and HI struggle), the priority should be to focus on the way forward in a pragmatic way.

By the same token, imminent threats such as Kenyan or Ethiopian oil exploitation in Somali occupied territories, further acculturation of our occupied cousins alongside Somalis in the Diaspora, urgency of environmental and humanitarian challenges etc should be incorporated into the equation with their respective coefficients.

Whether it be in terms of Shariah implementation prerequirement, wider Da'wah or mere military logistics, the necessity for a consensual administration, willing to play the diplomatic game, is self-evident (few would mind HI or AS taking over if a coherent, unified strategy as well as reassuring PR were forthcoming)...

Nur   

Abu Salma bro.

A wise and a balanced opinion. As for the Ethiopian army's face saving exit through the TFG "negotiations", it's debatable at best, but I hold to the opinion that the resistance was too hot to handle for the Ethiopians. At any rate, I do agree with you whole heartedly that the way forward is not militancy alone, AS and HI and the sincere brothers in the TFG need a reproachful mending of fences before dealing with the wider audience that have succumbed to the well financed an choreographed western Media Blitz that gave Ethiopia's ugly invasion, occupation and destruction of Somalia an appealing face lift while demonizing the Somali resistance after dividing them by virtue of a vicious PR Campaign.

As I have posted above, the stakes are high, but, as in the advent of Islam, its a Fitnah trying times, I pray that Allah makes the believers firm on their faith till they meet Him. Amin

Nur

If we want to solve the current debacle, we need to return things back to the state of affairs of summer of 2006.

Nur

^^ :D:D

Ilaahow kuu naxariiso

Castro   

^^^^ I didn't even see that statement. It sums up Nur's position in a nutshell.

The blatant invasion of Ethiopia
and its destruction of what was left of the warlords 16 years of mayhem and chaos, who have also assisted the Ethiopian invasion and the covert military cover of the CIA
has created the current intransigence of the resistance movements in Somalia.
Simply, they don't trust someone who failed to destroy them.

Sheikh Nurow, yours is not nostalgia saaxib. You have now left the realm of reason. And since we can't turn back the clock, you suggest we tolerate suicide bombings? And you blame the CIA for the mayhem caused by the Shabaab?

Ayaan darro indeed.

N.O.R.F   

Akhi Nur,

I, like the others, was hoping we would move away from discussing the events of 2 or 3 years ago. I think it is safe to say the participants of this discussion were on the same page with regard to the invasion and what transpired during the occupation. I was also hoping that we wouldn’t get too bogged down on wider geopolitical matters and the role of the media. We are all well informed adults who are aware of the media games and the role of the super power(s).

What we really need to discuss, as Xiin touched on earlier, is:

1. Who are AS and affiliates?

2. What are their objectives?

3. Are they Islamically correct in their pursuit of those objectives?

4. What are their reasons for refusing a sit down?

This, my friend, is what needs to be discussed if we are to really get to the crux of the issue.

Are you up for discussing the above? The nitty-gritty?

Nur   

Quick responses:

Akhi Xiin: We are on a different wave lengths if you find that statement amusing. One can't just walk over others, and ask for a dialogue, it isn't that simple brother. If time can't be rewound back to 2006, which is what made you laugh, then, we have to accept the facts on the ground, and that is also in favor of AS at present, the TFG can humbly ask for negotiation with the AS in the evolving new Sovereign Capital of Somalia, Kismaayo.

Castro writes;

Sheikh Nurow, yours is not nostalgia saaxib. You have now left the realm of reason. And since we can't turn back the clock, you suggest we tolerate suicide bombings? And you blame the CIA for the mayhem caused by the Shabaab?

Akhi Castro:

Don't get me wrong saaxib, I don't tolerate young men shredding themselves into pieces, worse yet, I don't accept the deception and oppression that drives them to such hopelessness committed by institutionalized human rights violators, Do I blame the CIA? Isn't the CIA an innocent, benevolent aid and human relief organization assisting Somalis by giving them food and assisting them how to govern themselves? How can I blame such an organization saaxib?

Akhi, Norfsky

If you can be patient with me as before, I will touch on these points with clarity in time inshaAllah.

The reason that I have listed all the factors, players and impact issues is to examine Who is doing what, and the weight such impact will have on the whole of Somalia.

I will assure you brother, if we go with the current " Moderate" popular nation building scheme through Ethiopian and International institutions, that in a very short time, you will be facing another animal, much more dangerous than the AS; you will wish the AS are back, Somalia will not be a Sovereign state, the UN and AU will dictate every law to this slave country, and a fundamental conflict with all that you believe will be a reality. A popular wisdom says that: Not everyone who sh..t on you is your enemy, Not everyone who gets you out a sh..t is your friend, and when you are in deep doodoo, keep your mouth shut!. We are indeed in deep doodoo to our chin, and to a distressed person waving a SOS sign, any net thrown to catch him, looks like a life saving rope, freedom is not served on a silver platter!

The west has diluted all of their religious and ethical values slowly, transformed Sodomy to an acceptable institution, and that rotten moral net is being widened to poorer nations, through so called international non gov. organizations ( NGO)to dilute Islam too, beginning with the handy dividing western terminologies, " A Moderate Muslim", referred to those who are showered with praise for their abandonment of fundamental tenets of Islam, in order to encourage them to do away with remaining Islamic tenets, hence the shedding of the crocodile tears about the menace of the concocted "Extremism" Media jargon.

Nur

Castro   

Don't get me wrong saaxib, I don't tolerate young men shredding themselves into pieces, worse yet, I don't accept the deception and oppression that drives them to such hopelessness committed by institutionalized human rights violators, Do I blame the CIA? Isn't the CIA an innocent, benevolent aid and human relief organization assisting Somalis by giving them food and assisting them how to govern themselves? How can I blame such an organization saaxib?

The west has diluted all of their religious and ethical values slowly, transformed Sodomy to an acceptable institution, and that rotten moral net is being widened to poorer nations, through so called international non gov. organizations ( NGO)to dilute Islam too, beginning with the handy dividing western terminologies,
" A Moderate Muslim", referred to those who are showered with praise for their abandonment of fundamental tenets of Islam, in order to encourage them to do away with remaining Islamic tenets, hence the shedding of the crocodile tears about the menace of the concocted
"Extremism"
Media jargon.

Nur

Brother Nur, now you are talking complete nonsense. The West (remind me again where you live?), through its CIA and NGOs and its dilution of religion and morality is turning Somalis into faggots so lets blow ourselves up? Never mind that killing oneself is an express ticket to Jahanam and worse still, unlawfully killing even one innocent person is equivalent to killing all of humanity.

But we're not talking about that now, are we sheikh Nurow? We have many enemies to fight and the end justifies the means. :rolleyes:

There's no discussion to be had here.

At this point, in password kii brother Nur la xaday baan u malaynayyaa :D .

How else could one describe Kismayo of all places where xuruubul fitnah are raging as we speak, and Muslim blood is being spilt on a weekly bases as a Sovereign Capital of Somalia!!!!

I agree with Castro and North, if Nur is not willing to talk sense and discuss reality on the ground without cheap slogans and clichés, there is no discussion (a meaningful discussion, that is) to be had here.

This Keligii Muslim madness called Alshabaab is a threat to the religion itself. It's sad, really sad, that Nur supports this fitnah .

Wallee waa naloo baqay