Sign in to follow this  
Mooge

What if the government takes away your child?

Aaliyyah   

^Yeah hun our duty is to only suggest. If the person in question doesn't wanna hear it then one has stop preaching.There is no compulsion in Islam. Alhamdulilah.

raula   

Saxansaxo..I couldn't have said it better. You've got good parents/but other unfit elements that work against them i.e. the school system, lack of support from social workers/system, the criminal/CPS (child protective services) that is convoluting to navigate. & you've got bad parenting that need some wake up calls & at times its the kids who instigate such cases by trying to teach their parents a lesson/get them off their hair sort of et cetera. Ilaahey hanoo sahlo. Once, you've entered the criminal system of USA, its tough to clear you image & name.

Aaliyyah   

Saxansaxo;870574 wrote:
I'm not really familiar with other places but in scandinavia and specifically Norway, there are more kids taken out of their homes and a large proportion of them are somali children. The government have recieved their share of critisism and even been accused of state kidnapping. I know there are many parents who shouldn't raise kids and clearly are not capable of doing so. Except for few cases, relatives ( some even resourceful) are usually not allowed to to take care of them, let alone anyone with the same culture and religion. And since there are few somali or muslim fosterhomes existing, the odds of these kids turning out to be dad dhisan with deen and culture is very slim.

Those who actually are trying to raise their kids properly are unfortunately sharing similar fate, having their kids unneccesary questioned by teachers or kindergarden workers. I know i'ts a part of their job, which is really fine. But what I dont like is how some are instigating conflicts that did not previously exist, planting ideas in the minds of vulnerable and easily persuaded children and sometimes even blowing small misunderstandings out of proportion. Luckily some are revealed but not many. Maybe these occuring incidents is perhaps strenghtened by the fact that the somali community is relatively less connected and passive when it comes to dealing with these matters, contrary to 20 years back. I believe the child services are really testing the waters when it comes to somalis. Since many somali parents does not know how to go about it, or try not to disclose the misfortune of loosing their kids to others, helping them is often too late. Decaying families and lack of awareness of the society and its language does not really help much eiher. That's why I think our children are more prone to experience this. The eurocentric behaviour pertaining to ways of rearing children expressed by kindergarden workers and by the child services is quite obvious in many cases aswell. I'm not saying somalis are not at fault here, many really are, so the faults goes both ways which in turn makes it difficult to cooperate. But what's missing, which they are also critized for, is their lack of efforts when it comes to helping these families at their homes with their kids. That is instead of resorting to the extremes,
which is breaking up families. Something they say is the last resort, but does not seem to be in many cases.

Ilaahay ha u sahlo soomalida dhibaato yarayn ayaa haysata dadkeena.

Well put. It is sad that some people think that the system is trying to keep the somali families together. Sadly that is not the case, it is only wishful thinking. Thanks for shedding some light on the issue.

Ameen to your du'a.

Ibtisam   

I dont understand- IT IS NOT the systems job to keep Somali families together (nor is it the community's job) in the west that is the family role. IF you cannot keep your family together, chances are you will lose them. The system role is to protect those who need protecting.

As for deen iyo dhaqan- well if Somali families volunteered more- that should solve the problem. We have special appeals and campaigns in the UK for Somali foster parents-

Religion wiixi allah uu qorey aya nooqon, how many do you know, their father is a mullah and the kids madaax ku socodo- at the same time, I've seen kids growing up in the strangers of places finding their own path in life alone both in Religion and life success.

Of course you have good parents and bad parents- that is a given and the majority are probably good parents, but it is pointless protecting those who can't or are not willing to take care of their kids just simply because of hoohaa about gaalo wants Somali kids (which largely comes from our iisla weyen that we are good and perfect everyone wants a Somali child- because our kids are pretty and look iska daal lol so wa la inga qaadaya, OR it is a religious warfare and caruruta aya la doonaya ii la gaaleyo)

Blessed   

Most Somali parents are fantastic and have no contact with social services, so it's baffling that some on here insist that Somaali are under attack, how funny. Teachers have to worry about not falling on the wrong side of the law themselves as well as holding down a challenging proferssion, so it's hilarious to think that that they sit around plotting how take Somali kids from parents. I personally know two mentally ill sisters whose parental responsibility was revoked and given to their ex husbands, their children didn't spend a day with strangers. The children's act only spells out basic safety measures, common sense rights of children and parents responsibilities and duties in meeting them, most parents do these intrinsicly, you don't need the law to feed and dress your kids, for example but the law is in place because there will be a tiny exception who won't. If a parent meets these simple requirements social services and schools, doctors iskama hor imanayaan. Simple as!

Juxa   

Somalis are not under attack but i hope neglectful parents would be.

one of the main problems is relatives find difficult to offer fostering somali kids at risk as in many cases the parents object. Regardless of whether a child is removed or not, the parents retain their parental rights which can only be removed by a court order

as Ibti and blessed said, in london now there is a massive programme to get somali parents to adopt and volunteer. at the moment local authorities aim to put somali kids with pakistanis or other muslims communities

Blessed   

Somaalis are so paranoid, I once translated for a mother who refused to sign the referral forms for a speech therapist, she somehow got it into her head that schools had it in for Somali kids (surprise) and “signature keeda I ay been been ku helaan rabeen”, siday wiilkeeda u duraan (???) oo waxay doonaan ku sameeyaan! Then you get islaamaha who insist that nurses want to kill them because dadka waaweyn xumbanhooda ayaa lagala baxaa, cidna dan kama laha, siiba Somaalida oo loo arko dad iska liita, cidi u hadlayn.