Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

KABTA ROG!

AYOUB   

NGONGE;868859 wrote:
^^ Yes but the important question is, would you worry about an upturned shoe?

Ayoub, the Iraqi guy threw a shoe at Bush when he last visited Iraq. Bah, I thought you people were up with world news.
:P

Oh the news, I get it now. The dameer must the one we were accused of eating, right?*

Showqi   

raula;869113 wrote:
^^^ma 6-dii shawaal iyo kabadan baad gudeyse..xagee ka dhacde beryahaan mise mid baa luuq kugu xidhe
:D

Being busy Dear raula.............Beryahan geeleygaa cirka lagu malayaa

Garnaqsi   

NGONGE;868468 wrote:
“xita hadaan diiday, maxa danbiga aniga la ii saari laha? Adiga maxay kuu qabsan waayeen?”

“anigu waan rogi laha”

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant! I love this answer. A deep issue in moral philosophy is raised in here. :cool:

I think the whole point for Kabta rogan is health related. In most cases there is good chance that someone could have stepped on human saliva or stool or other things that can help transmit diseases. Since most houses back home do not have air conditioning and instead leave their windows or doors open for cool air to enter the house, leaving shoes upside down helps air carry anything that could have been stepped on and increases chances of transmitting diseases or viruses. So essentially this is a health issue disguised as cultural/religious as with many other cases.

NGONGE   

^^ That makes sense but I reckon the idea of upturned shoes predated houses and health risks. I believe it to be a myth like any other.

The gaalo have the stuff about walking under ladders, breaking mirrors, doing things on odd numbered days and many other similar lunacies. In fact, all other cultures have such superstations and they all play along the lines of “good” and “bad”.

I am not a social scientist or a historian but I reckon the origin of all these things is a fat dose of OCD. I mean who else other than an obsessive compulsive would worry about an upturned shoe, a skewed table or crooked carpet? Think of all the “waxan lama sameeyo” cultural myths and tell me if you can’t sniff a strong whiff of OCD associated to every single one of them.

p.s.

I hear Xaaji X opens his browser and closes it three times before starting to surf the net. Waxa la yedhi, if you do that you'll always read good news about SL. :D

NGONGE   

N.O.R.F;870603 wrote:
But is it superstition or the guest making sure his host's house isn't messed up by him (or his friends)?

It's not about guests, saaxib. It's about shoes ANYWHERE (in the street, the mosque or a house).

N.O.R.F   

The scenario here sounds like two guys in a house that isn't theirs arguing over whether or not to turn over a shoe. In such a scenario, kabta wa la iska rogaa :D

Doubt many Somalis care or even notice up turned shoes anywhere else.

^actually, any turned shoe upset me till recently when I re-examined those traditional taboos ("sheydaanka ku tukada" used to say ayeeyo) and other things in the light of let's first find evidence such as an authentic hadith (just like with all those threatening mails).

I can't see even how it makes much sense healthwise as things such as soap washing hands after toilets, cutting nails and washing hands again before meals etc are much more important yet often ignored (we had hand washing and few hygiene related OCD at home).

I still have a daily mental list of few things to go through but envy brethrens and others with more relaxed routines and who may do those things more naturally (I suspect both approaches have positives but the middle ground is best).