Sign in to follow this  
Dr_Osman

President or Prime Minister Who Runs The Country? The Dr Is Confused

Positive   

I see the problem now. It is the translation!

( click on the english translation)

The word xukuumad = The executive- The Prime Minster and his Council of minsteries. .

The word dawlad= The government or State

The Prime Minster is the head of the Council of Minsteries ( xukuumad-).

The President is the head of the State/government ( dawlad) which includes more than

the Prime Minster and Council of Ministeries.

I think this settles the confusion and hopefully it will be corrected ( if I'm right ).

The Awakener2

Dr_Osman   

Positive. There is no translation issue and look at the responsibilities of the president he cant do anything without the p.m approval yet the pm can do anything without him. Even just reading the duties tells u alot. But what really cant be answered is why the speaker can take over the presidency YET the president cant touch the PM spot and needs to be held down by 50 ministers and the existing PM. Wax ba jiro. The whole government collapses if the PM resigns but not if the madaxweyne does. Even the speaker can do the role which tells u alot about its significance.

Dawlada somalia is 3 qeyb.

1. Legislative

2. Executive

3. Judicial

We know who the legislature is its the parliament, we know who the judicial is the courts. The executive is clearly titled for prime minister and his cabinet. Wa fulinta. Where does the president fall into the mix? his head of state no problem there which is FIGURE head but not power. Tell me one thing the president can do without the PM and I can tell u 100 things the PM can do without the president.

The only one thing the president can do is nominate the pm and you can bet your bottom dollar who he will be talking about that but I wont spoil it for u naive kids.

Oh by the way the constitution says the president is the head of the state. Like the queen is. Jamhuriyadu=state. Represents the nation as a whole as a figure head for the people. Dawlada is where go'anka and decisions is made hence why noone can just slip into it if the pm resgns and he has to hold it down till someon takes over or the whole cabinet needs to hold it down together so noone abuses the power.

Thats all im saying. The PM is clearly the govt, his duties reflect it also especially the part how the president needs to speak to the PM on any executive decision since that position is not executive. Not one place does it say the president has executive powers yet it says it for the PM a fair few times. Executive power is what siyad had as a president and why he could do what he wanted. But somalis think the title president give u that which they will find out is not the case in Somalia today.

Cut a long story short, the president meets and greets, hosts foreign delegates, represent the nation cause his the figurehead and thats about where it ends for the president since his not apart of the executive and if he wants something executive done hence he needs to consult and get approval from the PM cuz he is the government and holds executive power.

End of story niyahow

Dr_Osman   

yeah right, u ever hear american speaker take over the president role. No, why? cuz american president has executive power. Thats why noone can take over the PM role cause it's the government, its where shots are called and not anyone can fill it, but a symbolic role can be filled by anyone as a care-taker even the speaker or even properly the ministery of post cuz there is no power to abuse since its not executive and that explains why the president needs pm approval to do anything executive since the executive or govt is with the pm and he the president is head of state a symbol.

Anyone denying this is insane or in denial its clear as day. Read the duties, read the titles, read why the president cant do anything with pm approval and go read what the pm can do. Add two and two together u might figure it out like i did

Dr_Osman   

Thats true position the separation of power is for checks and balances.But i am talking about executive, this is where policies are executed, projects executed, people sacked, people hired, this is the heart of any govt regardless who holds it be it PM or president cause either one can hold it but without it u can't enforce anything.

The executive power of somalia lies with the prime minister, its our system. Some other countries have it with the president. Its not that PM is powerful or the President, its the executive that makes them powerful and it has fallen into the LAP of the prime minister.

Positive   

The decissions of the Councils of ministries and Prime Minster has to be appproved by other branches of the government; likewise proposals come to the president from the other branches; that is how checks and balance could work.

No branch of the government has sole power.

The Awakener2

Dr_Osman   

Positive. All I said is the president has no executive power. That his not role, his a symbolic figurehead for somalia. The head of government the man who calls the SHOTS in the government is the PM. Not one person can be named as minister, official, ambassador, head of key agencies or even the army generals without the PM nominating them or approving any requests from the president and he doesnt have to approve it either. He can refuse to.

The president is more symbolic sxb and there isnt anything wrong with that.

Mario B   

The president is the head of the state and he is more than symbolic...he appoints the PM and if the government falls he just appoints somebody else to the job of naming the council of ministers, headed by the new PM a la Farmajo and Gaas. The President stays put when the government loses vote of confidence. [only leaving if his term is up]

Positive   

It is a waste of energy to discuss whether the President or PM has more power; they have complementary responsibilities which are spelled out in the Constitution and we prefer that they co-operate by working together as team.

It may be more useful though to discuss the following discrepancy which Dr. Osman presented.

Article 97. postulates that The Council of Ministers is the highest executive authority of the Federal Government and consists of the Prime Minister, the deputy prime minister (s), ministers, state ministers and deputy-ministers.

Down in the article it continues to read that PM's responsibilities include quote.....(a) Be the Head of the Federal Government....... unquote;

Well the Prime Minister as the First Minister of the Council of Ministers which is the highest executive authority of the Federal Government has to be the head of the Executive branch not the head of the Federal Government as written above.

In the Somali version we find the following:

Awoodaha Ra’iisul-wasaaraha waa

(a) Madaxa Xukuumadda Federaalka ah;

Translation:

The responsibilities of the PM are (to):

(be) the Head of the Executive ( branch ) of the Federal Government.

The translations and wording of the Constitution in different languages, including the Somali, may need to be looked at by concerned authorities.

The Awakener2

Carafaat   

Shinbir Majabe;868489 wrote:
Ditoore! we shall discuss this after 2 or 3 weeks, (PM ka marki la magacaabo).. haddii kale beecdaalis ayay noqoneysaa inaan ka doodno arintaan haddane PM loo magacaabo reer kale!
:D

:D :D :D

Dr_Osman   

Positive the executive branch is the government, haven't you noticed yet? I am yet to find anyone explain why the govt collapses when the pm is not there yet the president is such a weak role that anyone can caretake it and the govt doesn't collapse. That is quite amazing don't you think. The only logical explanation for this is that presidency role doesn't have executive power and therefore isn't a sensitive position that can do damage which can explain why the role can be filled willy nilly.

There is no where that says the president is a leader of govt. This is concerning and somalis should face up to the music. I mean queen elizabeth is head of the state in england doesn't mean she is head of govt because she hasn't got the executive orders since that is within the executive branch.

You can easily be head of govt if you have executive branch which makes more sense since you CAN do things. The only way I can sum it up from extensive reading is the president is appointed by parliament and then the president nominates the PM to effectively carry out his executive duties but the president can't sack the PM and will need 50% of the parliament vote in order for that to happen. The president picks his president sheekadu waa kaa topic closed and the evidence speaks for itself.

Anyways im done this will be interesting

Carafaat   

Prime-Minister comes from the Latin phrase, 'Primus inter pares'. In means the first among equals or first among peers it's describing the most senior person of a group sharing the same rank or office.

I wonder who is more powerfull the Prime Minister who chairs meetings or the man who has the cheque book. :D

Dr_Osman   

carafat it will be interesting to see how this pans out. Very strange when the president can't do anything that is executive hadusan soo jeedin raisal wasaaraha. I was expecting it was the other way around.