Sign in to follow this  
guerilla

Family planning

We were 22 siblings. Eebbe mahadiis, we never felt anything but loved and loving one another as siblings. Now being scattered around the world, we visit one another and we are happy. Plus our parents would never worry about biil, government pension iyo waxaas.

Dadkiina qurbaha ku daac daacsanaayo, calooshooda u buuxdo micnaha awlaadka badan waalidiinta Soomaaliya iyo Afrikada kaleba joogo u dhalaan ayee dad ilooway iska dhigaayaan -- it is the future retirement plans and benefits.

Runtii Reer Galbeed iska doon doon intee isleeyihiin maxee iyagiiba isiloowi doonaan. If you don't like ciyaal, then don't have. Let those who have them have, ma idinkee biil idinka sugooyaan.

Overpopulation is a Myth.This is for those who argue we have a population problem. This refutes your pointless ideology.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=OiVrYLQXsUk

I am all for family planning and can't see myself having more than two kids if any. But people have a right to reproduce and none of the problems will be fixed by having less people. I challenge anyone to prove otherwise. There is no difference if i have 5 starving kids or 2 starving kids. 5 is actually better as more will survive. Less children isn't going to stop the drought from happening, fix bad governance or increase the resilience of the community to natural disasters. It is natural to think that maybe that starving children shouldn't be born because his life will be ****ed due to no fault of his own but God and reasonable people will blame those who truly are at fault and that dead child will be on their hands. Even the parent maybe to blame for lack of planning for regular disasters if they have the means.

guerilla   

aero;864139 wrote:
It seems like with our culture, the more you produce, the better off you are. Perhaps that works in a nomadic society but in the concrete jungle here? I'm not so sure. I've noticed families where the mothers are pregnant practically every year and I come across needy children who only seek their parents attention but lose it after a year because another one is on the way or is born. So they go on destroying and creating havoc. The mother or hell even the father doesn't have the time to teach them a thing or two about edeb, akhlaq and ixtiraam for the most basic things in life. In result, you have a troubled child with no foundation. I am a firm believer of upholding quality over quantity and ask our fellow brethren to produce children of substance instead of a massive number
:)

I read this article today on the under achievement of Somali children in the UK, http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/sep/03/somali-pupils-farah-role-model

guerilla;864351 wrote:
I read this article today on the under achievement of Somali children in the UK,

There is only so much one person like Mo could do to help these kids. I dunno how the teenagers are in UK/Europe, but the Somali kids here just seem to be getting worse and worse. Everyday 'wax kaayaabiyo' ayaad ku arkeysaa kuwaan. I dunno, maybe it wasn't such a good idea after all for people to have these big families. And people that wanna get married and start a family right now....waxaan idin oron la'haa, ilaahay ha idiin fududeeyo.

Aaliyyah   

Most somalis have anywhere from 6 kids to 10 kids. That's the common trend. That's reasonable I would say.

It is only the men who have more than one wife that end up with 20 plus kids. Maybe, if they can't provide for their kids they shouldn't be allowed to have more than one wife (after all that is what islam dictates if you can provide have as many wives as you want)..Laakin qof lacag badan haysan oo 20 caruura dhalaya yaa ku korinaya. Inkasto ilaahay risiqooda qabo hadana xoga wa la xisaabtama.

Aaliyyah   

Apophis;864365 wrote:
Lately I've been thinking maybe it's how (in our culture) children are raised. In our culture the extended family and society at large help raise kids. If a kids is seen doing something inappropriate by an adult, they would tell them off or report them to the family and so forth. No such a thing exist in our host countries. So it comes down to the parents, they have to be much more attentive than back home. So a smaller family would be much more appropriate rather than a large family.

Well put.

Blessed   

I reckon this will solve itself out over time. People are getting married later, delaying having children and leaving long gaps due to work commitments, my sister sees this trend in her hospital with young Somalis in the UK. I do think it's possible to have more than two and raise them well.

As for odayga from the thread, he was reer miyi, that was the dhaqan and he mostly likely felt that contraception was xaram and didn't have knowledge or access to it anyway - which is true for most people back home. I also echo the sentiments of those that said that reducing the number of children a family has, will do little to address poverty which is a consequence of bad governance / conflict.

Apophis;863960 wrote:
Why?

Ps: Has anyone seen Idiocracy?

I have. It`s a hilarious film until you start realizing it`s dead serious.

I'm of the opinion that economic development and education will sort out many of these problems. Overpopulation is a symptom of poverty, not the cause of it.

What is wrong with people having alot of kids it's their personal choice. Shouldn't we all be minding our own business and doing our own family planning instead of doing the family planning of others. There is nothing to discuss here since it's a personal choice. You can't force your beliefs on to others.

Chimera   

Guerilla, Somalia has enough resources to sustain a hundred million people, we are only 10 to 15 million people today. If the country were to be blessed with sincere politicians that initiated economic reforms, build the right infrastructure and maintained a stable society, then the concept of 'famine' would be a thing of the past, this however has nothing to do with the size of a family, if you had one child in a conflict zone, that child would still be at risk, one way or another. That child would still suffer hunger, miss out on education and healthcare because his/her region is in a bloody WARZONE.

Consider this, Somalis always had big families and with little resources for most of their history maintained a self-sufficient society that exported its surplus to Europe and the Middle East, the concept of food-insecurity especially in the urban areas only rose with instability. If you go through historic famines, be it the Swedish, the North Korean, the Ethiopian, the Chinese, they always happened during times of dictatorships, state-collapse, bad economic reforms and war. Almost never because of 'overpopulation' or 'lack of food'. Instead the links between suppliers and consumers was cut off, or the lucrative farms were taken over or made derelict and food storage facilities looted or shut down.

You can't blame a family of farmers for having five children just because a group of masked men decided to drag their region into a black-hole forcing them to flee and be on food-aid, which resulted in your entitled westernised azz being plagued by informercials, how dare they! This big family of sons and daughters were doing fine before all that crap happened and when stability returns they too will get back on their own two feet.

Instead of talking about a dumb concept like 'family planning' in a country with a relatively small population compared to its neighbours and the size of its territory, focus on 'economic planning' that can lift more people out of poverty and enrich the country as a result. Family planning doesn't increase the wealth of the country, you will still have a dirt-poor family with one or two children, not to forget the elderly of our society would be f.cked now that they lost their vast network of sons, daughters and grand-children that would provide them with everything they need. This same network would provide any sick relative with the means to access healthcare, and education.

Focus on 'political planning', which if cultivated the right way can result in the country having a strong foundation and stable environment. Remember before the war we had the highest literacy rates, the most deepsea ports, the biggest sports-facilities, the most modern hospitals, an elaborate road-network, the biggest merchant marine fleet,. There is no telling what level we would be at today, had we not squabled politically and went into self-destruct mode. I think where Tunisia is today is where Somalia would be if the last two decades had been one of stability.

Its ridiculous that people are pointing at Somalia's population, when most of its neighbours have already passed the 40 million mark, in just thirty years, sometimes on territories much smaller and with less economic potential than Somalia. No country outside of DRC Congo in Africa can touch Somalia's combined wealth in resources, be it oil, gold, uranium, agriculture, aquaculture, renewable energy, and tourism. It's worth trillions of dollars if its handled well and for a population the size of Somalia (10/15 million) and the wider Somali world( 20/25 million) that is more than enough.

You entire argument is a fallacy, you should be discussing conflict resolution, upgrading infrastructure and creating more jobs in dozens of big-money making sectors. With time the urbanization rate currently standing at 40% would rise to at-least 80% and with that comes a more educated population, a more industrialised country, better societal safety-nets that would discredit the concept of 'clan' and 'big families' through a fair tax-system and sovereign fund that benefits the average Farah and Xalimo. A more advanced economy concentrated around specific cities would also increase the cost of living and this would naturally force couples to rethink the size of their families.

You're putting the cart before the horse then sprayed it with a submachine gun, what's next eugenics?

Bluelicious;864387 wrote:
What is wrong with people having alot of kids it's their personal choice. Shouldn't we all be minding our own business and doing our own family planning instead of doing the family planning of others. There is nothing to discuss here since it's a personal choice. You can't force your beliefs on to others.

I agree. There's nothing wrong with having a large family, many will react emotionally to the sight of starving children and end up coming up with band-aid solutions. People have always died in Somalia, many people will continue to die in Somalia and the only thing that'll fix that is large scale population collapse or economic growth.