Sign in to follow this  
Tillamook

Who hates the 4.5 system?

It's funny how most Somalis interested in our political affairs have embraced it, yet everywhere you look nobody wants to come out openly and say they like it. Is it not the prefect remedy for a clannish society such as ours? Or does the .5 bit seem a little unfair for some people's taste? What's there not to like?

A_Khadar   

True, it wasn't and isn't now good system to admire, but thought was a solution to Somalia's clan loving mentality. I am sure when dest settles, better system will be crafted t to replace with it.

Taleexi   

Better than what we've been practicing for the last 20 yrs or so! - I've come to the conclusion that Somalia will never be free from tribalism even if Religion becomes the law of the land therefore, let us accept the fact and manage it.

That's what I'm saying: If it works( and it does seem to be working from the look of things today)--why don't more people accept it for what it is and be more open about it? There should be nothing to be ashamed of, after-all as someone has previously said..."Clan is Everything" in Somalia.

This damn thing institutionalizes our utterly backward qabilism and for that I hate it. On the other hand I cant help but to mentally acquiesce to it given the fact that our clanish ways rule our collective lives as Somalis.

I just wonder, will we ever move past our qabils and become an issues society?

Somalia   

Tillamook;862432 wrote:
^

How do you mean?

People are being chosen based on qabiil, not achievements, I can't support that, it's a sort of affirmative action, that I am against. But as the others said, it's a necessary evil for the time being.

aero   

The 4.5 system is utterly offensive especially for the minority group who are basically being flat out told that they're worth half of whatever the other qabyaladooyin are. They should brainstorm and come up with a fair balanced system where all clans and subclans can be represented equally.

^^ Its not like they were interested in political seats in the first place before 4.5 have ever seen the minority groups being in the top leadership of Somalia.

aero   

^That's a baseless assumption. If we are to move forward from here, we need to set forth from an equal starting ground.

They have equal rights they are Somali citizens they just have less mps in the parliament because they are not an actual clan but a group of clans who are a minority.

Xaaji Xunjuf;862501 wrote:
^^ Its not like they were interested in political seats in the first place before 4.5 have ever seen the minority groups being in the top leadership of Somalia.

The obvious is Barre's regime. Several top military men, PM, and Minister of Religious Affairs were from such clans. Before that in the 60's there were several MP's from these communities, as well as police chiefs who took over at independence. You are clueless as usual and just want to spout your bigotry, don't pretend otherwise lol.