Sign in to follow this  
OdaySomali

INstant exponentian increase in Soomaali literacy

I've just tested my theory and I have concluded that the latin alphabet much better suites the Sooomaali language. There are certain noises that (I think) you can't present using the arabic alphabet like

oo (goorma) unless you slightly change the pronounciation and property of the word = جوْرْمَآ

ee (dabadeed)

ii (iigu yeedhi)

o' (go'ay)

i' (ri')

etc.

Here is my pathetic attempt at an example text:

Walaaleyaal waxa aan idin leeyahay waa inaynu ka fikernaa sidii aynu dadkeena u barilahayn sidii ay wax u qori lahaayeen.

وَلَلَيَآل وَحَ آنْ إدِنْ لييَهَيْ وَآ إِنينُ كَ فِكيرنَا سِدِيْ اَيْنُو دَادّْكَينَ ءُ بَارِ لَاهَيْنْ سِدِيْ اَيْ وَحْ ءُ قرلَهَاين.وُ قرلَهَاين.ي

Marksman   

DoctorKenney;990359 wrote:
Safferz is partially right. The literacy rate is generally measured in one's ability to read in their
native tongue
. But that's the entire point of this thread! Most Somalis in Somalia are unable to read Somali, because it's written in the Latin script, but virtually all of Somalia can read the Arabic script.

So for the sake of conveniency, the OP is proposing that we switch the Somali language to the Arabic script, and this will make our literacy rate at least 90% literally overnight. A strange thing happened in Turkey back in the 1920's. Kemal Ataturk changed the Turkish language from using the Arabic script, to the Latin script. So the Turks, who were accustomed to reading their language in the Arabic script, were now forced to learn the Latin alphabet. The literacy rate in Turkey went from 80% to 0 in a single day.

So the 40% figure is irrelevant, because this is something we can all acknowledge.

I agree with DoctorKenney. I don't see the use of the Arabic script as a threat, but more as an asset. Clearly the Osmanya and Kaddare script haven't benefitted us.

The difference between those that know the Latin script versus Arabic today in Somalia is huge.

In the past for centuries the Arabic script was used by those who were literate in Somalia. If we want a fast and smooth recurrence of literacy, using the Arabic script would be a great start. (That's the discussion)

Also remember that Somalia is forging better ties with Arab nations. For instance, Bibliotheca Alexandria has sent (or is sending) 50.000 Arabic books to Somalia.

No we're not Arabs, but Somalia is both an African and Arab nation. It has been since it entered the Arab League.

I do think kids (and adults) do need to learn how the Latin script works though. English might become an important unofficial 3rd language. Even at vacancies at the Somalia government they ask for people to be able to speak English, but speaking Arabic is optional.

Marksman   

OdaySomali;990486 wrote:
I've just tested my theory and I have concluded that the latin alphabet much better suites the Sooomaali language. There are certain noises that (I think) you can't present using the arabic alphabet like

oo (goorma) unless you slightly change the pronounciation and property of the word =
جوْرْمَآ

ee (dabadeed)

ii (iigu yeedhi)

o' (go'ay)

i' (ri')

etc.

Walaaleyaal waxa aan idin leeyahay waa inaynu ka fikernaa sidii aynu dadkeena u barilahayn sidii ay wax u qori lahaayeen.

وَلَلَيَآل وَحَ آنْ إدِنْ لييَهَيْ وَآ إِنينُ كَ فِكيرنَا سِدِيْ اَيْنُو دَادّْكَينَ ءُ بَارِ لَاهَيْنْ سِدِيْ اَيْ وَحْ ءُ قرلَهَاين.وُ قرلَهَاين.ي

Interesting.

Khayr   

Literacy is an important indicator for
development
and quality of life in a society, it's linked to how people fare economically, socially, politically, it even has an impact on health. It's also linked to women's empowerment in a society,

Saff, if you equate literacy with progress then your premise is

that Somalis are uncivilised and backward due to their low literacy rate and that lack of being civilised or cultured is rooted in this arab religion centered viewpoint.

Literacy = Intelligence?

If the qualitify of life is measured by your indexes and your likes then we are definitely uncivilised people.

Let us be honest here with ourselves.

Khayr   

Oday, your new theory is silly.

Af Somali is a spoken language and not a written language.

Arabic is on its own a spoken and a written language.

Somalis were not in need of their spoken word being tranliterated into latin. It was a case of modernizing and "civlizing"

Somalis that was led by Siyad.

OdaySomali;990486 wrote:

oo (goorma) unless you slightly change the pronounciation and property of the word =
جوْرْمَآ

ee (dabadeed)

ii (iigu yeedhi)

o' (go'ay)

i' (ri')

etc.

see how difficult that's.....its a nitemare.

i wouldn't like somali script to be written in arabic it seems ******, the speaking and writing doesn't fit together it's good this way it's like it or not!

Safferz   

Khayr;990501 wrote:
Saff, if you equate literacy with progress then
your premise is

that Somalis are uncivilised and backward due to their low literacy rate and that lack of being civilised or cultured is rooted in this arab religion centered viewpoint.

Literacy = Intelligence?

If the qualitify of life is measured by your indexes and your likes then we are definitely uncivilised people.

Let us be honest here with ourselves.

That's the opposite of what I said actually, but you don't read.

Khayr   

Saff and others,

What would be the possible objective of measuring the literacy rate?

What qualities does a "literate"

society possess versus like an "illiterate" society?

By the way, if I call someone like Saff, an illiterate Ph.D candidate? What am I really saying about her? :)

P.S. Am not trying to insult Saff.