Sign in to follow this  
money

Women MPs - Representation along clan lines

money   

so far there are total number of the Women MPs is 35 out of 275 = 13% (rounded) - not even have the 30% quota

Here's a breakdown chart along clan lines. This chart is based on the latest released list of the MPs (255) and can change within coming days.

5th Amalgamation:

women MPs = 5 --- 16% (rounded) - not bad

Biibi Khaliif Maxamed

Fahmo Axmed Nuur

Khadiija Maxamed Diiriye

Maryan Aweys Jama

Saaqa Aden Mohamed

D&M

women MPs = 6 ---- 10% (rounded) - they could've done better than this

Dr. Muumino Sh. Cumar

Fadumo Nuur Maxamed

Fowziya Maxamed Sheekh

Luul Cabdi Aadan

Maryan Macalin *****

Xabiibo Maxamed Kheyr

D&M have 4 remaining seats to fill and none is expected to be for women

DD Block

Women MPs = 3 --- 5% (rounded) very disappointing - there are 2 remaining seats for the clan - and it is unlikely these seats would be given to women

Saado Cali Warsame ( legendary and sometimes controversial singer)

Sacdiya Careys Ciise ( daughter of the great Saar poet/meastro Careys Ciise Kaarshe (AUN)

Sahra Jama Ali

DR-Block

Women MPs = 10 --- 16% (rounded) - a good start

Aamino Cumar Jaamac

Busharo Cabdi Diriye

Caashakoos Maxamuud Cumar

Cadar Abdi warsame *****

Duniya Maxamed Cali

Faaduma Xasan Cali

Faduma Odowa Rageh

Khadra Ahmed Ibrahim

Sahro C/qadir C/raxman

Saynab Maxamed Caamir

The clan has 4 seats to fill and it's unlikely that for women to get any.

H block

Women Mps = 11 --- 18% - a good start

Amina Mohamed Abdi

Caasha Xaaji Cilmi

Jawahir Axmed Cilmi

Maryan Cariif Qaasim

Naciimo Maxamed Gacal

Nadifo Maxamed Osman

Qaali Axmed Diiriye

Sacdiyo Cumar Sheegow

Samira Xasan Cabdulle

Ubax Tahliil Warsame

Xalimo Xasan Cumar

H-Block have 8 remaining seats to fill. It is expected at least 1 seat would be a women which could increase the quota within the block to 20% but would not have any significant changes on the overall women representation in the parliament.

Reference:

http://hiiraan.com/news/2012/Aug/war...ta27-19110.htm

http://www.waagacusub.com/images/Som...mentarians.pdf

Abwaan   

money, thanks for taking the time to do a summary on this. I still think that clans should be asked to complete the 30% share for women. Women should get their complete share of the MPs, period.

lol@fight....how Somali of you.

Insults don't leave much room for dialogue or improvement. And to say Somalis consider their women property is dead wrong. And your comment absolves of you of any responsibility and simply blames everyone else. Perhaps, it doesn't occur to you a society is sum of individuals with diverse thoughts and aspirations.

I wonder how many men on SOL considers the women in their lives property or how many women consider themselves to be a man's property?

Apophis...Perhaps we should ask Somali women how they feel about this. Let's hope properties have mind of their own. Who's average Somali man?

Habo...the sad thing is when such sweeping generalizations are made about other societies, some here would admonish you but the same respect is given to their kind.

raula   

***<----appreciates the cock-fight ensuing***.

well as for the stats..pathetic...but foreseeable as in shouldn't expect much from post-colonial, post-war authoritarian govt's.

Malika   

^Hey Habo - Belated Eid Mubarak.

What is sadder is as soon as a Somali learns to read or write markasii buu dadkisaa kuu soo jeesada with all sort of nacnac - tragic indeed.

raula   

***<----appreciates the cock-fight ensuing***.

well as for the stats..pathetic...but foreseeable as in shouldn't expect much from post-colonial, post-war authoritarian govt's.

Mr. Boston--waa runtaa! war heedhahaya..(Malika & Che)..ani dee habo in lai' noqdo baan rabaa maxaa dhacey..or i be ayeeyo to some...this habo thing is messing w/my cup of tea. Spread the love dee

Malika   

^Dear, women have got along way to change how men see us - iska daa a failed state reinstating itself with few women here or there as law maker - what about the likes of USA with few women senators even though it claims to be 'champion of democracy'..blah blah

So the likes of Apophis are in right to think 'women are just property' without any mind of their own..Women need to start seeing themselves as leaders/politicians/law makers and deman their fair share wherever they are.

Malika   

MMA - in due time insha'allah..lol - Now which clan should I affilate myself with as am a true presenter of 'Somaliweyn' - ps. Which old men need I know?..Lol

Blessed   

It's actually not that bad (best representation Somali women had so far) and it's most certainly not the end, judging from news conferences these ladies mean business and will be making history, I'A.

somalia-nca-women-340_227.jpg