Sign in to follow this  
Jacpher

Ethiopian PM Meles Zenawi dies after illness

Somalia   

Daqane;858913 wrote:
@ somalia what do you mean good riddance was he not related to you since you called him adheer all the time, I thought he was atleast a close family freind.
;)

Adeer did his work, he was an unfortunate partner.

Somalia   

Daqane;858924 wrote:
Then dont abandon his memory when he needs your prayers the most.

He doesn't haunt me like he does the rest of you so I am pretty sure I'll get over it.

NGONGE   

Daqane;858921 wrote:
Some times in the name of wit we cab trivialise real issues, refering to him as a bogeyman like he did not exist and did not do the things he did is perhaps something to be gone over by you.

Dry your eyes, adeer. The man is dead and no worse fate (in this world) can befall him than that. Now if you want to be grown up and talk about the consequences of his death or changes it may bring to the horn of africa, then I'm all ears. If, however, you want to do a bellydance of joy and wail like an old woman, dee don't get upset when I start mocking. Wax fahan.

Daqane   

I will try my best adeer to do all three things at approximately the same time growing up, and ceasing my wailing belly dance, still you refered to melez as a bogeyman the definition being "an amorphous imaginary being used by adults to frighten children into compliant behaviour." obviously there is something wrong with that perhaps flippancy?

Anyway let us settle down to the deeper nuances of the issue just a few hours after the actuall happening and figure out the nitty gritty of it.

NGONGE   

^^ Good man.

I call him a boogey man because he is just that. He was just one man and Ethiopia's conflict with Somalia neither began nor will end with him. So when I see people cheering his death and placing such an importance on it, I believe I am within my rights to call him a boogeyman.

Anyway, what do you think will happen next?

Daqane   
He was not a bogeyman he schemed, he killed, personally signing off on letters and orders placed on his desk, or in general blocking aid convoys to the destitute, he approved and promoted rape as an instrument of torture e.t.c as for the rest already stated my position, nothing will change maybe a few tweeks here and there, perhaps someone with less finesse and knowledge of somali psyche might take over, maybe some one who does not know how to rally the west as spectacularly as Zenawi did, but in the end his system is too entrenched economically, militarily, in foreign policy ethiopia is the lynchpin of the horn its troops police sudanese peace, and enter deep in to somalia at will, eriteria has been contained in particular because of the special brand of paranoia of their leader, economically nothing prospers unless the TPLF get their cut through a very systematic process, calls to jihad in ethiopia are a dead end, and politically the myth fedralism endures and burns up what ever political energy they might have been to change the center in endless bickering and rush for promotion at the peripheries, and as am sure you are aware the system has been moulded to make it seem that what ever the tigrays did the amharas will do ten times!! although we all know what the tigray can hardly be bested by any one, so expect the same old same old.

Chimera   

Definitely a positive thing for Somalia/Somalis whichever way you look at it. Meles Zenawi was a ward of Siad Barre, the man enjoyed our pristine beaches when Somalia was a US ally and a tourist gem while Ethiopia was highlighted for all the wrong reasons by the likes of Bob Geldoff and Michael Jackson. The man spend years amongst Somalis of the upper-echelon and learned all of our strengths and weaknesses. The latter he used to devastating effect, then replaced Somalia in Western diplomacy and finance, from being a US ally, to having Ethiopian Airlines fly the old routes of Somali Airlines.

A weakened and disunited Ethiopia is always good for Somalia, this has historically been a fact. The death of Zenawi will be a major loss of confidence for the TPLF and they will be forced to focus their attention on the growing bubble within, which will result in dubious characters within Somalia losing support, and the strengthening of legitimate Somali politicians that want to bring back a strong republic.

Daqane   
That is a very optimistic view of things, only these legitimate somali leaders you keep refering to never dissapoint when it comes to disappointing, snatch defeat from the jaws of victory e.t.c

N.O.R.F   

Good riddance.

But, to equate this to the end of Ethiopia is silly. The new Somali government can take many lessons from Zenawi's era in terms of geopolitical positioning, utilising natural resources, development funding (some re-directed to military), encouraging foreign investment and infrastructure development.

Yunis   

NGONGE;858967 wrote:
Since I didn't get much from here, I went to a xabashi forum and had a browse at what they have to say. They're as mad as Somalis.
:D

Haye , you relish these opportunities, even going into Habashi site to spoil our little death celebration of a tyrant who played a key role in Horn of Africa's demise for so long:

To be sure, we are not talking about an imminent regime meltdown. It is still firmly in control of the repressive machineries of the state, which are humongous, the largest in Sub-saharan Africa.

So, ok nothing substantial will change immediately, but, at a minimum Zenawi's death will further cement other key players (less Malicious in their interest) establish influence in the Horn of Africa which is already happening.

I share Norf's views but I think that in terms of FDI, infrastructure or geopolitics, Guelleh has done much more, ie without being the key Western ally or having endless natural resources.

It's not widely known GDP growth is inflated in Ethiopia and skewed in favor of foreigners, land grabbers or an elite while the very tight police state deny trade and opportunities to citizens (hence why growth is controversial).

NGONGE   

^^ Keep up dee. I said I relish informed discussions in reply to Yunis's query as to my reasons for searching for Xabashi websites. There are a couple of good articles on that site but, like I said, the Xabashis there seem to be even madder than our Osman. :D