Sign in to follow this  
Jacpher

Ethiopian PM Meles Zenawi dies after illness

As brutal as Zenawi was, he used Somalia as a case study and enacted federalism from the start. Also, the massive hydroelectric developments underway as well as the securing of foreign investments in the manufacturing sector will make the Ethiopia a manufacturing giant in this decade. So, while he was a douchebag on social issues, he certainly went out with a bang.

Somalia   

Blackflash;859004 wrote:
As brutal as Zenawi was, he used Somalia as a case study and enacted federalism from the start. Also, the massive hydroelectric developments underway as well as the securing of foreign investments in the manufacturing sector will make the Ethiopia a manufacturing giant in this decade. So, while he was a douchebag on social issues, he certainly went out with a bang.

Co-sign

LANDER   

Conqueror,

Do not take for face value what some of these hypocrits like General Duke are writing in here. The likes of him were the biggest cheerleaders to Ethiopia's 2006 invasion of Somalia in the name of tribal pride and actions even the biggest coward would be ashamed to gloat about. Now you see them posturing in here claiming they are ecstatic with the death of the Ethiopian leader. None of us may know who's destined for hell but we all know the standing of hypocrits within our deen.

LANDER   

Che -Guevara;859013 wrote:
Lander... You are defending Conquerer silly just to make point about Duke?

I find hypocrits like Abdulahi Yusuf and Duke more repulsive than bloody ruthless leaders like Meles who at the very least were looking out for their own national interest, perhaps as a somali 'nationalist' you should have a better appreciation for that than I do.

Somalia   

LANDER;859010 wrote:
Conqueror,

Do not take for face value what some of these hypocrits like General Duke are writing in here. The likes of him were the biggest cheerleaders to Ethiopia's 2006 invasion of Somalia in the name of tribal pride and actions even the biggest coward would be ashamed to gloat about. Now you see them posturing in here claiming they are ecstatic with the death of the Ethiopian leader. None of us may know who's destined for hell but we all know the standing of hypocrits within our deen.

There's nothing hypocritical about it. It was not about tribal pride but about fighting Islamists, something that is widely accepted today with Ethiopians in Gedo, Bay, Bakool, Hiiraan and Galguduud, so the only hypocrites are the ones turning a blind eye today, to what they saw as an invasion in 2006, you must be one of them.

Somalia   

LANDER;859019 wrote:
I find hypocrits like Abdulahi Yusuf and Duke more repulsive than bloody ruthless leaders like Meles who at the very least were looking out for their own national interest, perhaps as a somali 'nationalist' you should have a better appreciation for that than I do.

Tell me of just 1 hypocritical thing Abdullahi Yusuf did and your point is valid, name just 1.

ElPunto   

^Presumably it wasn't in the Somali national interest to fight Al-Shabab extremists in 2006 but it is now?

Good riddance. I think the state of Ethiopia will keep following his policies but he was a very savvy politician with an extremely good knowledge of Somalis - not sure the EPDRF party's bench is that deep to produce another Meles which oughta to be good for Somalis in the future.

Somalia   

Why, what's the difference, we have a different president so we must conform to different national interests. Our current president who switches side and gets his clan on his side, he's not a hypocrite, but the man who stated his objective from the beginning is the hypocrite, Lander is ironically nothing more than a qabilist, if somehow Sheikh Shariif has the national interest at heart now even though he's doing the exact job of his predecessor.

ElPunto   

^Relax Somalia it was rhetorical question - his claim is to be dismissed. Either fighting Al Shabab was bad in 06 and now - or it was right then and now. Can't have it both ways.

Somalia   

ElPunto;859037 wrote:
^Relax Somalia it was rhetorical question - his claim is to be dismissed.
Either fighting Al Shabab was bad in 06 and now - or it was right then and now. Can't have it both ways.

Exactly my point. :)

Chimera   

The Islamic Courts Union WAS NOT Al-Shabaab! The ICU were 13-15 courts, with Al-Shabaab constituting only one court, with little to no power. The ICU was what the Muslim Brotherhood of Egypt is today, the Somali Spring predated the Arab Spring by five years, only to be squashed by a paranoid America.

The situation of today where Al-Shabaab is a filthy anti-Somali organisation filled with foreigners, and one of the 5th richest terrorist group as a result of the illegal invasion can't be compared to the ICU period, who were pro-Somali and whose rule is majoritely characterised as a popular grassroots movement providing stability, opening various derelict economic outlets such as the seaports, airports and the destruction of the bloodsucking warlords. However in hindsight, I believe they should have never risen to power, because they had no friends internationally in the Bush era and the consequences of their removal would have extreme dire effects on the country for years to come.

But let's not rewrite history!

Chimera;859060 wrote:
The Islamic Courts Union WAS NOT Al-Shabaab! The ICU were 13-15 courts, with Al-Shabaab constituting only
one
court, with little to no power. The ICU was what the Muslim Brotherhood of Egypt is today, the Somali Spring predated the Arab Spring by five years, only to be squashed by a paranoid America.

The situation of today where Al-Shabaab is a filthy anti-Somali organisation filled with foreigners, and one of the 5th richest terrorist group as a result of the illegal invasion can't be compared to the ICU period, who were pro-Somali and whose rule is majoritely characterised as a popular grassroots movement providing stability, opening various derelict economic outlets such as the seaports, airports and the destruction of the bloodsucking warlords. However in hindsight, I believe they should have never risen to power, because they had no friends internationally in the Bush era and the consequences of their removal would have extreme dire effects on the country for years to come.

I agree. As much as I personally dislike Sharia law, the ICU was a more holistic movement and used little violence against locals. They were a net benefit compared to the savages that call themselves Al-Shabaab.

Mooge   

Chimera;859060 wrote:
The Islamic Courts Union WAS NOT Al-Shabaab! The ICU were 13-15 courts, with Al-Shabaab constituting only
one
court, with little to no power.

oh the innocence. macalin ceyroow and his alshabab was the most powerful wing which controlled the agenda of the ICU. somalia had its first suicide bombing in Baidoa under the ICU before abdulahi yusuf even lifted a finger and was holed up in baydhabo. it is all in the books. i agree with you let us not rewrite history. past is past. let us move on.