Sign in to follow this  
Jacpher

Ethiopian PM Meles Zenawi dies after illness

Jacpher   

Ethiopian Prime Minister Meles Zenawi has died at the age of 57, state media say, after weeks of speculation about his health.

Mr Meles was admitted to hospital in July. The nature of his condition has not been made public.

Speculation about his health began when he missed an African Union summit in Addis Ababa earlier last month.

Mr Meles took power as the leader of rebels that ousted communist leader Mengistu Haile Mariam in 1991.

Deputy Prime Minister Hailemariam Desalegn, who is also Ethiopia's foreign minister, will be acting head of government, state television said.

"Even if Ethiopia has been badly affected for missing its great leader, Prime Minister Meles Zenawi initiated fundamental policies and strategies which will be further strengthened," the TV said.

Three weeks ago, a government spokesman told the BBC that Mr Meles was in "a good condition and recuperating", and dismissed reports he was critically ill.

The spokesman, Bereket Simon, declined to give any details about Mr Meles' whereabouts or what he is suffering from.

At the time, there were reports that Mr Meles was in hospital in Belgium, suffering from a stomach complaint.

BBC News

To my knowledge, one of the best Ethiopian leaders, after King Negash (Converted to Islam during Prophet's time).

I urge all the commentators to respect the dead, for only Allah knows if Meles Zenawi said the Shahada secretly on his death bed or perhaps even before his illness.

One hopes for a better leader for the people of Ethiopia than tinpot dictator Melez. Also better relations between the entire East African nations insha Allah.

How is that a joke?

Meles Zenawi was the only Ethiopian leader that gave Somalis, Oromos and others their own States within Ethiopia to administer their own affairs. He allowed Muslim organizations to grow and established Freedom of Ethnicity and Religion.

Mengistu's era that didn't exist. The era of Ethiopia's kings, such as Menalik and Co, that didn't exist.

The Zack   

^So you did support the dead swamp frog, didn't you? He was worse than Mengistu, he made locals of each area kill their kinsmen. Worst of all dictators! The world is a better place today.

^ I support no one.

Just like Alexander Litvinenko converted to Islam on his death bed, I ask people to refrain from insulting the dead, for there is a chance he [Meles Zenawi] might have converted to Islam on his death bed. That's all.

Jacpher   

^Say may the dictator Meles burn in hell, ameen.

Imagine the political struggle and the power shift Ethiopia to witness. I hope his victims including the Somali region see better days ahead.

Conqueror;858768 wrote:
To my knowledge, one of the best Ethiopian leaders, after King Negash (Converted to Islam during Prophet's time).

I urge all the commentators to respect the dead, for only Allah knows if Meles Zenawi said the Shahada secretly on his death bed or perhaps even before his illness.

Screw you! Tell that to the Somali women his forces ciyaalka kasoo tuureyn. Caku dh@b@dh!l!f

Alexander Litvinenko, the former Russian Spy converted on his Death bed. Only Allah knows everything. We were not with Meles Zenawi and definitely not during his death. All I'm saying is, let's not insult the dead. Anything is possible. He could've taken the Shahada.

^ I have damiir and I have the intelligence to recognize that only Allah is the 'All Knower'. Who are WE to say "Rot in hell" to so and so, especially Meles Zenawi who has had many interactions and encounters to Muslims of different Ethiopian ethnic groups?