Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

SOL Movies Club II

Bowser jr down, King Koopa to go (James Cameron and the rumoured upcoming 60 fps Avatar sequels) :) (yes, I'm actually happy about hearing about the limited release) Strange I haven't heard about this. Thanks.

Chimera   

Lol@ King Koopa, brings back memories of the 8-bit nintendo game.

BTW, Avatar was a big disappointment despite the hype. A movie that did live up to its hype is The Avengers, which blew me away and I have seen it 8 times, very rare that I'm captured by a film like that. With Avatar it felt artificial, and I have never bothered to watch it again since 2009. The 4D nonsense got everybody going.

You know what Chimera, I actually loved Avatar. It was a great cinematic experience and I'll probably always remember seeing it for the first time - something I can't say for too many films. I ended up seeing it several times in IMAX and it was always as beautiful. Then I bought the DVD/Blueray box and couldn't watch it at home. It just wasn't the same. For me, Avatar is a film that only works in the cinema. But that's not what you want out of films.

Avengers was a lot of fun. Joss Whedon is a fun writer (have you seen Cabin in the Woods? I hate horror but that's another hilarious gem). Speaking of funny films, have you seen Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter? It's so unintentionally funny, I haven't laughed so hard in a while. Pure unintentional comedy gold. :D (there's a fight/chase scene where the bad guy throws a horse at Abe Lincoln whilst they're running on top of horses, you gotta see it :D)

Chimera   

5, my opinion or taste are just that, mine. There are plenty of films I love which most of the world hates, at least you got a couple hundred million people agreeing with you. The Cinema effect can definitely add alot to an otherwise mediocre film. My first cinematic experience was 'Men in Black', I was a kid and I watched it completely by myself, with popcorn and everything.(though my sis worked at that same cinema complex) I still haven't experienced a similar feeling of wonder and joy as that cinematic episode, I guess its the universal 'first time' rule.

I haven't seen any of those films yet, instead I have been catching up: The Crazies (awesome), Deja Vu( I realised I can watch anything with Washington in it), The Recruit, First Sunday(Tracy Morgan is hilarious) some Japanese/Korean films and some golden oldies like Stargate (1994) and The Rock (1996), they are all available on youtube lol. I will check the Abraham Lincoln one out, and Cabin was already on the watchlist.

Maarodi   

5;864504 wrote:
You know what Chimera, I actually loved Avatar. It was a great cinematic experience and I'll probably always remember seeing it for the first time - something I can't say for too many films. I ended up seeing it several times in IMAX and it was always as beautiful. Then I bought the DVD/Blueray box and couldn't watch it at home. It just wasn't the same. For me, Avatar is a film that only works in the cinema. But that's not what you want out of films.

Same here, but it was the first time I went to an IMAX with good friends, and also the movie had a plot twist as well, something I didn't expect and it's a good thing because I always try to predict what will happen. Plus the whole socio/cultural aspect to it made it that much interesting as well. Some Palestinians actually identified with the Navvi wore the costume to a

Avengers was a lot of fun. Joss Whedon is a fun writer (have you seen Cabin in the Woods? I hate horror but that's another hilarious gem). Speaking of funny films, have you seen Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter? It's so unintentionally funny, I haven't laughed so hard in a while. Pure unintentional comedy gold.
:D
(there's a fight/chase scene where the bad guy throws a horse at Abe Lincoln whilst they're running on top of horses, you gotta see it
:D
)

The sad part about Abe Lincoln movie is that some kids now believe/will believe that he was an actual vampire hunter! At least American kids anyway.

Since the tread took an international turn, the only one I can contribute at the moment is the first Korean movie I watched titled "Man From Nowhere"

Here's the trailer:

Maarodi;868305 wrote:
Same here, but it was the first time I went to an IMAX with good friends, and also the movie had a plot twist as well, something I didn't expect and it's a good thing because I always try to predict what will happen.
Plus the whole socio/cultural aspect to it made it that much interesting as well.
Some Palestinians actually identified with the Navvi wore the costume to a

Yeah, the killings and the misery the human battleships wreck, are a very thinly veiled criticism of global colonization and slavery, and exploitation of natural resources by human corporate greed.

Cameron very successfully combined these themes and issues of corporate greed & exploitation of the third world and threw in a love allegory; all with dazzling visuals and astounding technical skills. His technical eye for detail is unparalleled (though script is rather weak). Chris Nolan writes terrific scripts with his brother, but for some reason (lets blame the Britishness) his films despite the sleekness, somehow end up feeling rather cold.... Jim Cameron's scripts are weak but his films are always somehow warm and full of heart (even Terminators - especially Terminators). If only the two collaborated...

Chimera   

Apophis;868952 wrote:
L/C was really good but I would rank it third after Lock and Snatch. Then RocknRolla at fourth.

This trumps them all, I laughed my azz off, sometimes being stuck at a 1 min scene for 15 minutes because I couldn't stop rewinding, seriously hilarious. I give you two words ''Karate-chop'' and ''dwarf'', I won't say more lol:

in-bruges-poster-388x600.jpg

Chimera   

^You're breaking the law, reconsider that post N.O.R.F.

Apophis;871513 wrote:
New Hobbit trailer

Where the hell is Smaug?

LOL@ the Dark Robocop Rises, everybody is dark and angry these days.

Chimera   

I finally watched Prometheus, I didn't go in with a lot of expectations, since I never really liked the scary-azz original alien films, evendo I saw them back in the day. I however thoroughly enjoyed this new world, the athmosphere and most of the characters. I got a few deja-vus related to an earlier inferior film called 'Mission to Mars', especially when they arrived on the planet, and the so-called similarity between the human and alien DNA. The Ceasarean scene was freaky, especially what came out of her and the engineers looked cool, but I wish the last one had at least shared a small bit of info to expand the whole mythology, instead he just flipped.

I also saw Cabin In The Woods, now that's a good movie, has Whedon's signature all over it, a great feature if you grew up on Buffy and Angel a decade ago.

Chimera   

Watched Cosmopolis, about a billionaire playboy facing an existential crisis. The cinematography is slick, and what a surprise to see K'naan in the film as well, I wasn't aware he would feature. His funeral on the streets of NYC made him look like an Emperor lol

Last three movies I saw:

The Aura (Spanish: El Aura).

1000w

Under the Salt ( Spanish: Bajo la Sal)

under-the-salt-2008-p.jpg

Battle in Heaven (Spanish: Batalla en el cielo)

MV5BMTk0MjgxMjg1M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTIz

Battle in Heaven has graphic sexual scenes!