Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

SOL Movies Club II

Chimera   

If you wonder what happened to the old topic, read this. These days, they can jail for not just hosting such material but being part of the desemination culture in the form of a 'conspiracy charge'. I prefer to keep my 'clean record' clean, as does the Admin, hence the need for a new topic strictly discussing films and animation without the insertion of controversial material.

Chimera   

Two movies I eagerly await:

The-Hobbit-An-Unexpected-Journey-Movie-P

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

We have waited since December 2003 of whether we'll be seeing Hobbits, Wizards, Dwarfs etc again and we are finally going to see it. It is a prequel to The Lord Of The Rings trilogy and we see how Bilbo first had the Ring and how it was originally to him and to everyone else just a magic ring. I think that the first film is on The Hobbit novel itself all together and the second film is like the gap in between The Hobbit and Lord Of The Rings (so possibly end about where Fellowship Of The Ring) began.

I am going to be constantly obsessed with both of these films until released. Lord Of The Rings trilogy are my number 1 favourite film (including all three) and because it stars two of the actors who delivered the best performances in the trilogy: Ian McKellen and Andy Serkis and I am intrigued at the rest of the cast especially Martin Freeman as Bilbo.

Peter Jackson directed, co-produced and co-wrote my favourites ever and with this prequel, I could see him making both Lord Of The Rings and The Hobbit my number 1 and 2 favourites. We'll have to see.

django-unchained-poster-spaghetti-wester

DJANGO UNCHAINED

Quentin Tarantino directing a spaghetti western? Wow! Now, this will be something worthwhile. A spaghetti western + Quentin Tarantino = "cool".

After directing his previous film Inglourious Basterds and showing that he is capable of almost making almost any kind of film. However, I think Django Unchained could be something that is a typically unique Tarantino style, but with a very emotional story alongside. Of what we know the cast is going to be thus far, it is probably the most impressive cast that has ever been in a Quentin Tarantino film.

First, seeing Jamie Foxx as the protagonist. Awesome! Christoph Waltz returning in a Tarantino film after his mind-blowing Oscar-winning performance in Inglourious Basterds!

Leonardo DiCaprio in a Tarantino film? Awesome. Better yet, he is playing the villain! Now, that'll be REALLY interesting to see. Samuel L. Jackson who has worked alongside Tarantino a few times in the past has a role in the film too. No Tarantino works well with actors without Jackson, especially after Pulp Fiction! Kevin Costner, an actor who people have mixed feelings for, but I find a very good actor and definitely a great director, so should be great to see him in the film too!

I know for a fact that this will be a badass film that will rival with 'The Hobbit' in Christmas 2012. I know already that they will be my favourite films of 2012.

http://www.listal.com/list/most-anticipating-films-2012

Haatu   

I've read the book and can't wait for the film. The lord of the rings trilogy had a good plot but the technology was lacking. Hopefully, the tech should be amazing this time round.

Haatu   

^ Yh I know what you mean but c'mon, I'm sure you would've loved Avatar style tech. After reading the books then watching the films, a part of me feels that they made it too soon. But that doesn't take away anything from the film tho!

Somalia   

Korean Movie called Old Boy.

Hong Kong Movie called Internal Affairs

Brazilian Movie called City of God

Brazilian Movie called Elite Squad

Danish Trilogy called Pusher

French Movie called A Prophet

Anyway, I could go on and on but those you want to check out, thank me later. :eek:

Garnaqsi   

Somalia;863650 wrote:

Anyway, I could go on and on but those you want to check out, thank me later. :eek:

Pusher and Elite Squad are the only two I haven't seen! :cool:

Chimera   

Somalia;863650 wrote:

Saw it sometime ago, lol@ the squid scene.

Have this one on dvd.

Saw this ages ago, I only remember a black kid laughing as he shoots someone.

Never seen those two.

Good movie.

If you like foreign films you should check out THE RAID, an Indonesian film, amazing from start to finish. Imagine if all of Somalia's warlords and militia-men lived in a single flat and a small SWAT team was send after them, and you have this film.

Haatu;863625 wrote:
I've read the book and can't wait for the film. The lord of the rings trilogy had a good plot but
the technology was lacking
. Hopefully, the tech should be amazing this time round.

They see me trollin'....

On another note, Hobbit is probably not going to look good. It's shot in 48 fps. Let me explain: the standard frame rate for films is 24 fps (frames per second), with the Hobbit it's twice the frame rate which ends up giving the film a video-style appearance. It won't look like a "proper" film. It'll probably work with aerial scenic shots but not with scenes with actors (the intense clarity of costumes and sets are going to destroy the illusion, the spell of film) because naturally there is a blur, your eyes don't take in every detail as you watch. When the frame rate is at 48 fps the video is forcing your brain to see and process more than it normally would and the movie will end up looking 'wrong'.

Somalia;863650 wrote:

Something terrifying, of horror film proportions happened a couple of nights ago. I was watching a quite violent ganster film. Then, all of a sudden, I saw my hand reaching for the remote controller. Then I watched as my finger pressed the off switch. I realized what I had done. I had turned the TV off. I had turned the film off because it was violent. I'm becoming my mother. *sobs*

Gone are the days when I would want to watch films like these... Actually I've seen them all except for "Pusher".