Sign in to follow this  
Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar

In a nutshell

As an example, he points to the underutilized abundance in a country. “You can find the best food here,” Aydin says. “Very good quality meat, delicious fish and the sweetest fruits are here. But no one takes advantage of them.”

He adds, “Ownerless goats and cows wander around but people go and buy powdered milk for their coffee. The Kurds make hundreds of products out of milk, but the Somalis do not know what yogurt, yogurt drink or cheese is.”

Read more

I have a friend who just returned from a Somali coastal town where he told us he couldn't find fresh fish to eat as people were eating imported tuna and pasta instead. imagine.

this all comes down to laziness, somalis like to talk talk, but not work work.

ElPunto   

Dad majiro. That's why I think Somalia needs large scale immigration from folks who want to work/build the country and have capital. When Somalis see what ajnabi are able to do in their backyard - their natural jealousy will flare up and they will stop putting endless amounts of money and effort into building Isli and Dubai.

I don't understand the importation of fish though - is that the usual diaspora exaggeration or was it that fish was unavailable because of rough seas or another logical reason.

Khadafi   

Moon, laziiness is a big factor, reer kasto waxay ku faanta in oo qof u maqanyahay, marka maxaa aa loo shaqeysanaa hadaaba heleysid bil walbo qof lacag free ku soo diraayo. I am not a die hard capitalist but think about. What kind of mentality do we give to those in Somalia when we send them "freely" a monthly allowance? The allowance that we send back to Somalia without any kind of repayment demands have led somalis to lack the the urge to work. I can not blame them.!

Marka xawiilaadyada ha la xero! Capitalismada dadka shaqo ha barro. Nin aanan shilin shaqeysan shaah ma cabo lol!

I

Khadafi;856157 wrote:
Moon, laziiness is a big factor, reer kasto waxay ku faanta in oo qof u maqanyahay, marka maxaa aa loo shaqeysanaa hadaaba heleysid bil walbo qof lacag free ku soo diraayo. I am not a die hard capitalist but think about. What kind of mentality do we give to those in Somalia when we send them "freely" a monthly allowance? The allowance that we send back to Somalia without any kind of
repayment demands
have led somalis to lack the the urge to work. I can not blame them.!

Marka xawiilaadyada ha la xero! Capitalismada dadka shaqo ha barro.
Nin aanan shilin shaqeysan shaah ma cabo
lol!

I

its true.

two things are destroying Somalia, a) the rimiitance money as you mentioned. b) NGOs.

I don't know how the remittance money could be stopped, but what the diaspora could do is attach conditions on their money, for example, you send $300 a month to your brother back home, you buy a farm or a fishing boat and tell him to work there 8hrs a day then he will get his remittance as usual, this free lunch is destroying the mentality of the people and is making them sleeping zombies.

The same thing is happening here in the west where most Somalis live on benefits designed to help the un employed while they get on their feet but you see Somalis sometimes on their second and third generations getting benefits or what they call (Ceyrta or shabta);) abusing the system.

Elpunto;856157 wrote:
I don't understand the importation of fish though - is that the usual diaspora exaggeration or was it that fish was unavailable because of rough seas or another logical reason.

Punto, its true, I have also experienced this few years ago, I went to this coastal town and the main dish was tuna and pasta, as far as i know even on rough seas there has to be fish available.

Carafaat   

It's not laziness! Most Small time Fisherman, live stock owners and small farmers don't get

Any remmittances from abroad. They work hard to make their living. But nobody is investing in them.

You can call it a mismatch of human, capital and natural resources. For example, those fisherman lack proper fishing equipment, cold storag and processing facilities. Because they don't have the capital, and the one's with capital

Invest only in something they understand(real estate, importing goods).

Human, Capital and Natural resources can only meet when there is a proper system facilitating

Trust, cooperation, flows, security and accountbility between the one with the capital(invester),

Human (skilled Labour) and natural resources(owners/management of natural resources).

But we lack such a system. And clan thinking or diffrent systems(maamuls, borders and the overall divisions) doesn't help either to facilitate trust and cooperation.

I blame geeljire mentality. Whose existence, if not wholly, is based on shaxaad, masuqmaasuqnimo iyo nin tolkeyga ah ayaa jago ii haayo and without lifting a finger to work.

No wonder every man wants to be a madaxweyne because it is the easiest mashruuc lagu buuxsado jeebkaaga. And the whole tolka supports that because they expect a quick tolka-wide get rich scheme while your tolman is in the palace. Dalkeena dhan Eebbe ayaa u maqan markaas.

Kaaga sii daranee those same geeljire used to dacaayad those whose livelihood were based on agriculture and fishery. Waala isbartay now, though.

Haatu   

It's simple sheer laziness. Back in Garissa, I know people who've made big money through sheer hard work and determination. 12 years ago, a family I knew used to sell water they collected to put bread on the table. Today they're building houses left, right and centre. Why is that? Because the family worked hard to educate their kids now the parents are enjoying the fruits of their labour. Whereas, others are in the gutter they were in 12 years ago chasing after their bundle of qaad for the night when goodness knows who feeds their kids.

Haatu, my family back in the nostalgic days knew this very wealthy family. How did they get the wealth? It was said the matron mother started with tinaar iyo muufo duboow. Long story short, she and her family were very, very wealthy markuu dagaalka dhacaaye. In fact, to me as a boy her name became synonymous with richness.

raula   

Haatu..I Hear Garissa is getting too qabiiliiste nowdays..(I haven't lived there)but know someone..who did..& beryahaan waxaaba laga hor keena..horta qolmaad tahay :D hii ni kazi ya 20+ yrs of wasomali...infiltrating..or was it like this..prior?

MMA--adi xaad qabsate..kontonkii sano lasoo dhaafe?

Haatu   

Miskiin, people like those truly deserve all the wealth Allah has blessed them with. Those type of people are simply an inspiration.

raula, we always had qabiil (remember we're Somalis ;) ) it's just that due to the huge influx of foreigners (ehem :D ) some of the locals feel they no longer own the land and that it's being taken away from them. It's just another form of the protectionism you see all over the world where an area experiences mass immigration (both internal & external) like this.

Hopefully people won't take it too far (we do after all have a fantastic lesson to learn from our neighbours :D ).

With that said though, this isn't a big thing. As long as you're not buying acres of land all in one go, no one really will have that much of a problem.

Chimera   

The Kurdish brother clearly has an issue with the Turkish State, not surprising, however his comment on the variety of Somali milk products is nonsense. Somalis make butter, yoghurt and cheese, usually from Sheep milk, just because he happened to not come across those products doesn't mean they don't exist. It's like coming to Beirut in the aftermath of the war and then in a silly way point out why the Lebanese don't have honey, carrots and chocolate in their stores, a bloody war just happened dude.

I concur with Carafaat, this is all about systems, be it transport, prices, capital, and modern equipment and facilities. When you have a cancerous militant organisation in the most fertile regions, don't be surprised if much sought after food products never make it to the cities of the coast. When you have various Western NGOs with their aid-campaigns paying big sums for that 'quality food' the prices will skyrocket and the locals won'tl be able to afford it, hence fixed prices should be introduced to prevent such situations.