Sign in to follow this  
Dhagax-Tuur

Horizon: eat, fast and live longer

Folks, I ask, is this science slowly catching up and sort of proving what Allah and His prophet Muhammad SCW told us?

It is amazing that the body is actually repairing itself when you restrict its normal dietary intake! You actually heal yourself by not taking as much food as you normally take! Wow!

This is a clear warning to all of us, muslims. We already sort of knew that fasting is good for us, but now we know it REALLY is good for us, and we wanna live in the West, to avoid the fate of many ills of Western folks, we should be maintaining fasting with a bit of cibaadah, insha Allah.

This is a BBC science programme and the subject matter is fasting and its benefits.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01lxyzc/Horizon_20122013_Eat_Fast_and_Live_Longer/

If you are not in the UK, you might not be able to watch it, but I suggest you google it or check Youtube or something. You might hopefully find it.

It is really very, very interesting.

To add, furthermore, I heard that the Prophet SCW advised us to fast at least three days of every month? Someone correct me, please.

Enjoy it.

Tallaabo   

Fasting is just the latest of a long list of Islamic rituals proven by science. Few years ago it was also proven by medical scientists that male circumcision is an effective method of controlling the spread of HIV.

Tallaabo;855176 wrote:
Fasting is just the latest of a long list of Islamic rituals proven by science. Few years ago it was also proven by medical scientists that male circumcision is an effective method of controlling the spread of HIV.

When combined with death by stoning, it's a great way of halting the spread of HIV. Probably the only good Al-Shabaab and the like have done for Somalia,

Mario B   

Apophis;855192 wrote:
Interesting programme but fasting isn't uniquely

Lol, who said fasting is uniquely Islamic.

O ye who believe! fasting is prescribed to you as it was prescribed to those before you that ye may (learn) self-restraint.― (Quran 2:183)

Mario B   

Naxar Nugaaleed;860441 wrote:
Is a life of starvation really worth prolonging?

Didn't understand you there, can you elaborate?

Mario B   

Naxar Nugaaleed;860441 wrote:
Is a life of starvation really worth prolonging?

I didn't understand you then but this is what I know: Child poverty, undernourishment, poor medical care in early childhood can curtail life expectancies at subsequent ages. That's why we have an average life span of 46 yrs in Somalia.:(

Garnaqsi   
How is your claim any more valid than that of someone proclaiming that science is slowly catching up with Buddhism as Buddhist meditations have been found to have therapeutic values? Being critical of your own thoughts is the best way to avoid major blunders.

Mario B   

Lol @ Garnaqsi, do you have to have an argument with theists on every thread? Why don't you enjoy your freedom from religion and leave us to worship sky pixie/imaginary friend [ or what you call the monster of Loch ness]. And how is fasting a blunder?

Mario B;861120 wrote:
I didn't understand you then but this is what I know: Child poverty, undernourishment, poor medical care in early childhood can curtail life expectancies at subsequent ages. That's why we have an average life span of 46 yrs in Somalia.
:(

Average "life expectancy" measures the averaged lifespan of every born local but not adults lifespans, ie it's a proxy for newborns/infants mortality rates that are high (it just tells that births and babies are overall "riskier").

Thus, most basic hygiene such as hand washing at birth, which halves maternal mortality rates too (or maternal milk only etc) immediately shoot it up when generalised (and you get much higher average "life expectancy" figures without changing anyhing concerning adults).

Of course, those adults or older children are generally (much) better off in terms of chronic conditions, allergies etc if living in Somalia rather than say Sweden (not to mention better chances of achieving optimal sunshine/vitamin D exposure that is very critical at every level).This is a bit similar to being much healthier in remote sicilia than living next to the Mayo clinic or John Hopkins hospital (or just like many villagers in Pakistan achieving a century of healthy life without any contact with the the healthcare industry).

Yet another reason why such statistics (GDP, life expectancy etc) confound and distract more than say much of value.

Three more longevity hot spots

Mario B   

Abu-Salman, with all due respect me and you are talking chalk and cheese. The examples you quoted, from Italy, China and Pakistan are mentioning people who are eating healthy and in a congruous environment. I'm talking about people who have nothing to eat and live in poor sanitation and lack clean water[hence my use of the word poverty].

I understand that saaxib but I was worried about assuming life expectancy figures as predicting or showing the average lifespan of adults when this statistic merely reveals the newborns and infants mortality rates (I too used to think that way before being corrected).

Also, there is no less "poverty" or more access to chlorinated water, a double-edged sword, in remote, isolated places such as Kashmir etc (our famine is again an anomaly due to insecurity).

Check this about the Hunzas (ignore the rest, marketing etc): It’s not unusual for these people to live to 130 or even 145 years. They also enjoy near perfect mental and physical health

In Hunza, people manage to live to over one hundred years of age in perfect mental and physical health

Mario B   

Apophis;861154 wrote:
I guess if you claim (through scripture) all artefacts of other cultures then every thing originates with Islam.

No we don't claim other cultures artifacts, but we follow those who were guided of the people before us in their righteous foot step.

The messenger believeth in that which hath been revealed unto him from his Lord and (so do) believers. Each one believeth in God and His angels and His scriptures [Torah, Psalms, Gospels] and His messengers [...Abraham, David, Moses Jesus]- We make no distinction between any of His messengers - and they say: We hear, and we obey. (Grant us) Thy forgiveness, our Lord. Unto Thee is the journeying. (Quran 2:285)

Mario B   

^No single group can claim monopoly of God as you have admitted.[ God is one and his religion is one but, his rituals and practices differ in different times and places]. For the believers, Islam is the final manifestation of the same message that was given to the first man to ever know God [Adam].

Lo! Those who believe (in that which is revealed unto thee, Muhammad), and those who are Jews, and Christians, and Sabians - whoever believeth in God and the Last Day and doeth right - surely their reward is with their Lord, and there shall no fear come upon them neither shall they grieve. [Quran 2:62]

I was just pointing out mr B that it's not the years in you life that should matter but the life in your years. Am going to assume without looking at this specific that in order to actually benefit from eating less, it would take rediculous level and more frequency than once a year only to end up with few extra years.