Sign in to follow this  
GaadhHaye

Involve Mo Farah and Somalia Will be Gold

"Didier Drogba, former Chelsea and Ivory Coast football captain was very instrumental in his country's peace deal. He is not only adored for his football talent, but also for giving back to his community and because of this he was named as one of the 11 members of Ivory Coast's Truth and Reconciliation Commission".

Just like most people across UK and all over the world, I have been glued to the TV set every evening to catch the London 2012 Olympics highlights and watch evening Olympic sports. My friend Stephanie posted on her face book message that her 2 year old daughter seems to be loving basketball. No doubt 2012 Olympics is inspiring a generation.

The Super Saturday as BBC called it was exceptional. The whole day I was waiting to watch and cheer Mo Farah a Somalia born athlete who moved to UK when he was 8 years and runs for Great Britain http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/athletics/team-mo-farah-get-ready-for-somali-joy-8002323.html. Mo didn't only disappoint the Super Saturday by winning the 10,000 meters final but he also defeated the likes of double world record holder Ethiopian, Kenenisa Bekele. Needless to say the race also included Kenyans who are known for winning long distance races. Mo Farah's win shows that anything is possible through hard work, patient and believing in oneself. This win will inspire both young and old to keep on trying and be focused on their goals. Mo's win even showed that BBC commentary team have emotions and can celebrate without reservations. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19134764#TWEET185351

On twitter, it was reported that there were celebrations in Mogadishu, capital of Somalia. Even though Mo Farah runs for team GB, he is still celebrated in Somalia and he does a lot of charity both in Somalia and UK through Mo Foundation. The Foundation feeds thousands left hungry by famine and also works with young Somalia refugees in UK. So, why not use this man in Somalia talks? How can the world involve him in Somalia peace?

Mo Farah foundation: He already has an avenue where he works with Somalia people. Those bodies and individuals who are involved in Somalia talks can partner with this foundation and build up on its work. People like to identify themselves with their own and MO Foundation is seen in Somalia as not just a charity that is 'doing good' but a body that is concerned and cares for its people.

Talks with the government and rebels; Watching Mo's interviews, he comes across as an intelligent eloquent man who has passion in what he does. This man can inspire and accomplish what many people have tried to do in Somalia and failed. Many politicians always want to be seen as standing with the people. Mo Farah represents people; Majority of Somalians identify and share Mo Farah's story. Remember Somalia sees him as one of hers not an imposing outsider.

Talks with young people; Many Somalianss who are in the front line are young people who have been brain washed and being used by terrorist branded group Al shabaab. These youths have given up hope and they believe there is nothing to loose. Majority are unemployed, languishing in poverty and not educated. Mo can inspire this generation. Creating a platform where Mo Farah sharing his story to inspire young Somalians can be a huge step forward in transforming Somalia. Humans connect to humans and sharing experiences can transform lives. Remember they see Mo Farah as their own.

There has been several international conferences talking about peace in Somalia and plight of her citizens with the last one being held in London. Somalia people want peace. They want to build their lives, want their children to go school and prosper. During these talks, this popular athlete's name is never mentioned. Didier Drogba, former Chelsea and Ivory Coast football captain was very instrumental in his country's peace deal. He is not only adored for his football talent, but also for giving back to his community and because of this he was named as one of the 11 members of Ivory Coast's Truth and Reconciliation Commission.

The world is celebrating Mo Farah's achievement. I am very lucky to be using this platform not only to congratulate him but to celebrate with him for he has lived to re-affirm London 2012 motto, 'to inspire a generation.'

Follow Kevin Mbewa Anyango on Twitter: www.twitter.com/mkevoh

Somalia   

Mo Farah captured the hearts of all Somalis, I don't think he will waste it for a small minority even if they are his clansmen, they didn't train him or make him who he is, he has an opportunity here but I don't think it's wise for him to go political, every Somali fails there however to preach peace, he will definitely win!

Saalax   

Somaliland’s Mo Farah wins Olympic 10,000m gold for Great Britain

Sunday, 05 August 2012 03:50

Best moment of MO's life"This is the best moment of my life" - Farah

A son of Somaliland Mohamed Farah has done his motherland of Somaliland and adapted Great Britain great after he stormed to Olympic 10,000m gold to seal an extraordinary night for British athletics in the Olympic stadium.

The 29-year-old world 5,000m champion ran a near-perfect race to cross the line in 27 minutes 30.42 seconds, with his training partner Galen Rupp in silver and Ethiopia's Tariku Bekele in bronze.

Farah's triumph ended a run of four successive Ethiopian wins and stopped Kenenisa Bekele from winning a third consecutive title.

Four years ago in Beijing, Farah failed to qualify for the 5,000m final, and in that moment of defeat vowed to give everything he had to become the best in the world.

On Saturday that undertaking came to glorious fruition as he was roared to unforgettable victory by 80,000 ecstatic supporters.

Farah, who was joined on his lap of honour by wife Tania and daughter Rihanna, said afterwards: "I just can't believe it, the crowd got so much behind me and was getting louder and louder.

"I've never experienced anything like this - it will never get any better than this, this is the best moment of my life.

"It doesn't come round often and to have it right on the doorstep and the amount of people supporting you and shouting out your name."

Mike McLeod was the last Briton to win a 10,000m medal with silver in 1984, but no British male has ever before won a global title at this distance.

Analysis

"Mo went in with a race plan and he learned from last year. He showed great enthusiasm and guts. I am really pleased for him because he had a lot of expectation on his shoulders. He was expected to win and he came through."

At 5,000m Farah was comfortably set in a large pack going round at a tough but not brutal pace, the leaders going through in 14 mins 39.5secs.

Tadese went to the front with 11 laps to go before Kenya's Moses Masai picked it up 400m later and tried to stretch the field out with a lap of 63.8secs.

Wilson Kiprop had already dropped out injured, and Farah stayed on Bekele until, with five laps to go, he made his first move and eased up to third.

To an enormous roar from the crowd Farah then accelerated again at 8,800m and followed as the younger Bekele brother Tariku went to the front.

Farah looked effortless, poised, and with 800m to go held his position in the front two.

At the bell he made his big move, bursting into a lead of a metre on the straight and then kicking again with 90m left to go away clear.

It was an almost unreal end to the most astonishing of nights - and Farah still has the 5,000m to come.

Tallaabo   

Its so embarrassing to hear all the ridiculous talk that Mo Farah is a "Somaliland athlete". What the hell are people thinking about? He clearly represents Britain, waves it flag, and his medals go to that country. So where does Somaliland feature in his sports life? Its like China claiming the win of an ethnic Chinese who competes for the United States. Get over it people he is a British-Somali and not a Somalilander. Somalilanders should not bask in the glory of other nations but should support their own home grown athletes who might one day represent Somaliland on the world stage.

AsadSL   

He's a British-Somalilander. He was Born in Gebiley region of Somaliland. Just because he lived in England for a longtime doesn't mean he's no longer from Somaliland

Tallaabo   

AsadSL;855152 wrote:
He's a British-Somalilander. He was Born in Gebiley region of Somaliland. Just because he lived in England for a longtime doesn't mean he's no longer from Somaliland

No matter where his tribe hails from, he is a British-Somali and is seen and referred to as such by everyone. I am not denying him his roots but the fact is he left Africa as a child, grew up in London, has a non-Somali family, and surely has no plans to ever return to the Horn. Also he represents Great Britain on the world stage and his success is Britain's success in the medal table not Somaliland's. So Mr Assad, on what basis are you associating this man's Olympic glory with Somaliland? Because of his tribe? If anyone should take pride in Mo Farah's success, it should be all the Somalis in the UK .i.e, the British-Somalis.