Sign in to follow this  
The-freeman

Any rationalist observing Ramadan?

Abtigiis;852277 wrote:
My 'adulterer' self-depiction is fiction.Say the same about your 'not fasting' and we are even.

*Blessed;852280 wrote:
Explain the connection?

Johnny B;852291 wrote:
^ Turning and twisting it won't change the REALITY at hand.

The Freeman clearly asked the question to the non-religious, be they Atheists or agnostics.

That some of you accuse him of bad-timing the question ( i guess due to Ramadan ) or equating his payment of "lip-service" to him being "a Coward" is not of any significance, as it goes without saying that at "Ramadan" we "non-religious Somalis" have to put up with family and friends' high religious sensibilties.

In short all you seem to be demanding of him is to extend that generousity of safeguarding religious-sensibilities to you and the Fora,which is in my view more like a choice for him to make but not a right for you to demand.

To answer you fellow Freeman i'd say yes it all depends on the person(s) i am dealing with, sometimes its both rationally and morally justified to pay lip-service to Ramadan safeguarding family & friends' sensibilities, and / or delay eating and not infront of them, but for an everyday Farax or Xalimo i'd have no problems enjoying my meal infront of them.

Case in point. i can't leave this thread without having the urge of saying " ramadan karim" to Abtigis , Norf and Che`for that matter.
;)

And you're right regarding the misplaced demand of respect, i don't have to respect the use of "marjuana" though millions believe in it being good and use it.
;)

You got it. The thread was for people who were not religious and it said nothing about attacking Ramadan or those who fast. That some people took it as a personal attack is mind boggling. I think what it shows is the intolerantand immoral nature of those who claim to be more moral than rationalist.

Taleexi;852297 wrote:
Are you really a freeman?

Free of religion, yes.

Abtigiis;852303 wrote:
I have no problem with Free-Man not fasting. I am a tolerant person and what Free-man does is between him and his God if he has one. I cannot break utensils in anger because he is not fasting. What I find absurd is his question. It looked to me he wanted to pain the muslims in this forum. And i find that offensive. What is it you are looking for? Praise? condemnation?

Re-read your first post and tell me you have no problem with my position. I'm not looking for anything but the opinion of people; something you do regularly here. If the word ’rationalist' offends you that's your problem; you have no right to ask not to be offended.

Wadani   

I'd be interested to know what our resident athiests/agnostics on this forum majored in university (assuming they've attended). Somalis usually assume that its philosophy which sets one on a path to blasphemy, but I'd bet the backgrounds of the non-believers here are more varied.

Taleexi   

Freeman: I operate within the confines of the Islamic faith thus, we can not infer the same sources. However, I urge you to come out of the shadows and live the life you really want to the fullest. Pleasing others has never been a tool for success. Lastly, frame your questions with some modesty and rationality if you care people to take you seriously.

Wadani   

Good stuff Blackflash. So another question here; would u consider ur beliefs, or lack thereof, to be ones firmly cemented and resistant to change, or is there some hope that u may re-examine them and consider a possible reversion to monotheism?

Wadani;852319 wrote:
I'd be interested to know what our resident athiests/agnostics on this forum majored in university (assuming they've attended). Somalis usually assume that its philosophy which sets one on a path to blasphemy, but I'd bet the backgrounds of the non-believers here are more varied.

There's no connection between going to university and rejecting faith. Humans have the ability to think critically though some choose not to nourish this aspect of the mind.

Btw- are you aware that you're a blasphemer according to other religions? You maybe angering other gods even now!

I'm always open to discussion, I don't initiate religious debates, but will not turn one down so long as the other party understands it's a two way dialog and doesn't use it as an opportunity to give da'wah.

Wadani;852321 wrote:
^Enlighten me

Well, other than the two atheists I mentioned earlier whose transformation was rooted in practical experience and yearning questions, the rest simply follow certain predictable timeline starting with studying at school where it seems their confined mind exploded and took in everything that come their way. They really can't tell you when was the critical juncture where things have become clear for them. All they do is regurgitate things they heard in class or venues they frequent once they get baptized.

Taleexi;852325 wrote:
Freeman: I operate within the confines of the Islamic faith thus, we can not infer the same sources. However, I urge you to come out of the shadows and live the life you really want to the fullest. Pleasing others has never been a tool for success. Lastly, frame your questions with some modesty and rationality if you care people to take you seriously.

I do not live my life in ”shadow" as family and friends know my position and I rarely do things to please others ( bar the honeys :D). Also, the title of the thread is reasonable and would only offend those who wish it to be so. What others feel I cannot help.

Che -Guevara;852335 wrote:
Well, other than the two atheists I mentioned earlier whose transformation was rooted in practical experience and yearning questions, the rest simply follow certain predictable timeline starting with studying at school where it seems their confined mind exploded and took in everything that come their way. They really can't tell you when was the critical juncture where things have become clear for them. All they do is regurgitate things they heard in class or venues they frequent once they get baptized.

Lol- your ignorance is worthy of a comedy sketch.