Sign in to follow this  
The-freeman

Any rationalist observing Ramadan?

N.O.R.F   

Colleagues of mine would try and observe bits of Ramadan. They would fast until lunch time sometimes and be more charitable throughout the month. Its a good chance to give a good impression of Islam and Muslims.

Not sure what is rational about believing in the opposite of what one rejected whilst ignoring the same 'lack of evidence' excuse he used for the rejection in the first place, though.

Of all the Somali atheists I have met, only couple of them were bright, reasonable people and exhibited common sense. These kids that have been in the west for the last two decades and took few philosophy classes seems to think they have reached nirvana. They lack respect and common decency and not to mention their timing is always off. On the other hand, non-Somali atheists are actually pleasure to talk for most part.

It's worth noting the two reasonable Somali atheists I met became non-believers long before they sat foot in the West. Their argument was rooted in their experience and reflection of their life and environment then. Conversations with them were edifying and nothing comparable to these pseudo atheists.One of them was actual Geeljire.

The-freeman;852160 wrote:
I'm forced to pay lip service to it when around the family e.g: I tend not to eat and drink around them but nothing more than that.

To those who are non-religious, what is your take on this??

Waxaan kuu heestey qof macquul ah sxb. Waa iska nasiib daro.

Abtigiis;852277 wrote:
My 'adulterer' self-depiction is fiction.Say the same about your 'not fasting' and we are even.

There is no way to know if you were telling the truth before or now.

Nin-Yaaban;852284 wrote:
Waxaan kuu heestey qof macquul ah sxb. Waa iska nasiib daro.

Sxb, I'm happy I don't meet your criteria of someone ”macquul" as it would be a moral abomination.

Johnny B   

^ Turning and twisting it won't change the REALITY at hand.

The Freeman clearly asked the question to the non-religious, be they Atheists or agnostics.

That some of you accuse him of bad-timing the question ( i guess due to Ramadan ) or equating his payment of "lip-service" to him being "a Coward" is not of any significance, as it goes without saying that at "Ramadan" we "non-religious Somalis" have to put up with family and friends' high religious sensibilties.

In short all you seem to be demanding of him is to extend that generousity of safeguarding religious-sensibilities to you and the Fora,which is in my view more like a choice for him to make but not a right for you to demand.

To answer you fellow Freeman i'd say yes it all depends on the person(s) i am dealing with, sometimes its both rationally and morally justified to pay lip-service to Ramadan safeguarding family & friends' sensibilities, and / or delay eating and not infront of them, but for an everyday Farax or Xalimo i'd have no problems enjoying my meal infront of them.

Case in point. i can't leave this thread without having the urge of saying " ramadan karim" to Abtigis , Norf and Che`for that matter. ;)

And you're right regarding the misplaced demand of respect, i don't have to respect the use of "marjuana" though millions believe in it being good and use it. ;)

I usually eat outside the house anyways, so my daily activities haven't really changed around Ramadan. I don't hesitate to tell anyone I'm an atheist when asked why I'm not fasting. To those who would call closet atheists hypocrites. Consider the posts from some on this forum regarding the fate of atheists in Muslim countries, is it any wonder they choose to keep it to themselves?

Che -Guevara;852301 wrote:
^Majority of Canadians don't b!tch about Muslims either.

Johnny's recommendation during fast

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

The Muslim community in Canada for the most part gets along well with everyone. Anti-Islamic sentiments are growing though with the rise of conservative media. The Pakistanis are rather insulated while the Somalis and Tamils are probably the two most disliked ethnic groups in Canada, other than that. Everything is peachy!

Abtigiis   

I have no problem with Free-Man not fasting. I am a tolerant person and what Free-man does is between him and his God if he has one. I cannot break utensils in anger because he is not fasting. What I find absurd is his question. It looked to me he wanted to pain the muslims in this forum. And i find that offensive. What is it you are looking for? Praise? condemnation?