Sign in to follow this  
The-freeman

Any rationalist observing Ramadan?

I'm forced to pay lip service to it when around the family e.g: I tend not to eat and drink around them but nothing more than that.

To those who are non-religious, what is your take on this??

'Rationalist' my back. Haddaaba Rabigaaga ka baqeynin, why fear mere mortals. Mise your true fear is the Soomaali social rejection, being ostracized and whatnot.

Well, soon or later, banaanka ayaa isa soo dhigeysaa or you will be living this lie. I mean one can't avoid tacsiyada, meheryada aroosyada, et cetera.

I also believe dadka inta ka nacnacleeyo, oo diinta waaka baxnay ku haayo, banaanka isma soo dhigi karaan in non-virtual world. As it had been said, there is no atheist in foxhole, so there is no Soomaali gaal in family gatherings. Yaa ogaado xataa qaarkood markii salaad loo wada istaago abruptly (it happens sometimes) at a Soomaali gathering, safka hore ka galaan mumbling to themselves.

The-freeman;852160 wrote:
I'm forced to pay lip service to it when around the family e.g: I tend not to eat and drink around them but nothing more than that.

A rational person will respect what's dear to millions of people in the world. Take rest and let the Muslims fast in peace. There's time and place for everything.

Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar;852208 wrote:
'Rationalist' my back. Haddaaba Rabigaaga ka baqeynin,
why fear mere mortals.
Mise your true fear is the Soomaali social rejection, being ostracized and whatnot.

"Why fear mere mortals?"- I have no irrational fear of "mere mortals" but don't be so quick to dismiss them especially when they think god is on their side.

I have no fear of social rejection; my family and friends know that I'm not interested in their faith and they never push it.

Well, soon or later, banaanka ayaa isa soo dhigeysaa or you will be living this lie. I mean one can't avoid tacsiyada, meheryada aroosyada, et cetera.

As mentioned, close friends and family know I do not share their believes.
And yes, one can avoid all those occasions only because they tend to be gatherings dominated by religious egoist (tacsiyada) and the worldly egoist (weddings).

I also believe dadka inta ka nacnacleeyo, oo diinta waaka baxnay ku haayo, banaanka isma soo dhigi karaan in non-virtual world. As it had been said, there is no atheist in foxhole, so there is no Soomaali gaal in family gatherings. Yaa ogaado xataa qaarkood markii salaad loo wada istaago abruptly (it happens sometimes) at a Soomaali gathering, safka hore ka galaan mumbling to themselves.

But are you surprised such people are forced to live a lie? Do you think it's an easy thing to be ejected from one's own society and peoples? And worse, since many Somalis believe those who do not share their faith should be put to death, is it any wonder people hide in plain sight? If your religion is true why scare and harass people into submission??

Ps: plenty of atheist in foxholes if you care to check your facts:

Che -Guevara;852215 wrote:
A rational person will respect what's dear to millions of people in the world. Take rest and let the Muslims fast in peace. There's time and place for everything.

A rational person respects truth above "dear to millions".

Tallaabo   

The-freeman;852160 wrote:

There is nothing rational about your disbelieve. And the only irrational thing I see Muslims do is the misinterpretation of Islamic texts to propagate intolerance. I believe your kind must be free to live their lives the way you like it.

Abtigiis   

,,, more like a coward and a cheat. Traits that are not pleasant. If you don't want to fast, why not say so. And the worst of all, you come here and advertize your dishonesty like if you have killed a lion with your bare hands.

His type has been existing since the time of the prophet (pbuh), and they are called sneaky cowardly hypocrites (Munaafiqiin).

(And when they meet those who believe, they say, "We believe"; but when they are alone with their evil ones, they say, "Indeed, we are with you; we were only mockers.) [Qur'an 2:14]

Abtigiis;852265 wrote:
,,, more like a coward and a cheat. Traits that are not pleasant. If you don't want to fast, why not say so. And the worst of all, you come here and advertize your dishonesty like if you have killed a lion with your bare hands.

Few weeks back you were complaining about being an adulterer and you call me a cheat? Remind me, what's the Islamic punishment for such actions?

MoonLight1;852271 wrote:
His type has been existing since the time of the prophet (pbuh), and they are called sneaky cowardly hypocrites (Munaafiqiin).

(And when they meet those who believe, they say, "We believe"; but when they are alone with their evil ones, they say, "Indeed, we are with you; we were only mockers.)
[Qur'an 2:14]

Being called "Munaafiqiin" by a Muslim is like being called racist by a nazi; it doesn't mean much!

Blessed   

The-freeman;852274 wrote:
Being called "Munaafiqiin" by a Muslim is like being called racist by a nazi; it doesn't mean much!

Explain the connection?