Sign in to follow this  
Carafaat

I fear for the Somali-Americans

Urgh, I see socks and sandals paired up; it's like putting salt in a cup of tea, not right, not right at all!!

I think the idea behind the show is commendable, but as is usual, these kinds of shows attract the most narcissistic in the community and as such, they tend to be shallow in "culture".

Carafaat   

They should have let the kids read a poem, sing a somali song, dance a traditional dance, use camel milk to get drunk, this would have been really cultural.

but these kids get weird ideas about mucawiis being somali culture. while its a Bagladeshi thing

arafat, interestingly enough, i think the macawis has grained prominence due to the collapse of the somali state from the late 80s on-wards. the lack of professional jobs, structures and formal attire made the macawis which was always worn after asr prayer a common feature of the somali fashion trends since then.

The-freeman;851358 wrote:
Urgh, I see socks and sandals paired up; it's like putting salt in a cup of tea, not right, not right at all!!

I think the idea behind the show is commendable, but as is usual, these kinds of shows attract the most narcissistic in the community and as such, they tend to be shallow in
"culture"

that's a contested term even more particularly in this context. these american kids are seeking validation through their displays and are attempting to create a sense of identity and belonging. this is to be applauded, i think. this will not be the final stages of the forever evolving nature of somali culture. this is not a representation of the defintive somali culture, it is merely a hybrid culture that is the result of when a group of people migrate from their homes (somali pennisula) to a new home (diaspora). identity is a fluid concept and should not be categorised into two binary categories - good culture and bad culture. instead seek to understand that these allegedly bad cultural tendencies and transformation are the result of new identities that are in essence derived from somali culture. I dont think this is a necessarily a bad thing.

I don't think Somaliness or somali culture is being destroyed, rather its an evolving process. This will not be the final stages of the forever evolving nature of somalinimo. Each generation adds something different but its continues to survive. Our generation’s sense of Somalinimo is not a representation of the definitive Somali traditions, norms and values.

For me Somaliness is a holistic system of norms, traditions and values which have been slowly developed. It’s not dependent on political authority and has no clear definition since every individual sense of Somaliness varies. You could say it’s also like your own personal value system. Nonetheless, there are elements of Somaliness that all individuals collectively share. These are: Somali ethnicity, Islam, culture, language and tribe (this is more specific depending on individual preference but must still be included in the overall framework of what constitutes Somalinimo).

Identity is a fluid concept and should not be categorised into two binary categories - good Somalinimo and bad Somalinimo and as some people have gone further by declaring the notional thought of Somalinimo dead since they are unable to capture its true essence because its manifestations are not contingent on state authority (Political somaliness).

LOL @ wiilka fanaanada tuuray and people trying to dodge it haha.

What a weird choice of song for the video, but at least Somaalidaan mareekanka are trying and doing something. But true to Somali style it looks they didn't rehearse much :D

Alpha Blondy;851366 wrote:
that's a contested term even more particularly in this context. these american kids are seeking validation through their displays and are attempting to create a sense of identity and belonging. this is to be applauded, i think. this will not be the final stages of the forever evolving nature of somali culture. this is not a representation of the defintive somali culture, it is merely a hybrid culture that is the result of when a group of people migrate from their homes (somali pennisula) to a new home (diaspora). identity is a fluid concept and should not be categorised into two binary categories - good culture and bad culture. instead seek to understand that these allegedly bad cultural tendencies and transformation are the result of new identities that are in essence derived from somali culture. I dont think this is a necessarily a bad thing.

I don't think Somaliness or somali culture is being destroyed, rather its an evolving process. This will not be the final stages of the forever evolving nature of somalinimo. Each generation adds something different but its continues to survive. Our generation’s sense of Somalinimo is not a representation of the definitive Somali traditions, norms and values.

For me Somaliness is a holistic system of norms, traditions and values which have been slowly developed. It’s not dependent on political authority and has no clear definition since every individual sense of Somaliness varies. You could say it’s also like your own personal value system. Nonetheless, there are elements of Somaliness that all individuals collectively share. These are: Somali ethnicity, Islam, culture, language and tribe (this is more specific depending on individual preference but must still be included in the overall framework of what constitutes Somalinimo).

Identity is a fluid concept and should not be categorised into two binary categories - good Somalinimo and bad Somalinimo and as some people have gone further by declaring the notional thought of Somalinimo dead since they are unable to capture its true essence because its manifestations are not contingent on state authority (Political somaliness).

I think you're seeing things which are not there. The video does not show an evolution or even a reinterpretation of the Somali culture but complete unawareness coupled with a healthy dose of narcissism and misplaced macawis.

Your points about Somaliness maybe valid but have no relevance to the discussion.

Alpha Blondy;851377 wrote:
i know. you're right this was a pointless and irrelevant stuff i wrote previously on another thread lol.

You tried though, and you get a D instead of an F! Congratulations!!

oh right! thanks mate. you've clearly made my day, just when i thought it was over. the only thing i have to look forward to now is my date for this afternoon. i don't know what she looks like lol.

Alpha Blondy;851379 wrote:
oh right! thanks mate. you've clearly made my day, just when i thought it was over. the only thing i have to look forward to now is my date for this afternoon. i don't know what she looks like lol.

She'll probably be average looking and mentally banal as most Somali females are but that doesn't mean you can't have fun! Just manage expectations for a happier relationship.