Sign in to follow this  
Carafaat

What will be the place of non-muslims in a New Somalia?

Carafaat   

I am amazed by the number of atheist, agnost, secularist and christians in the Somali community. And I wondered what their place and role will be in a new Somalia? Somalia had some prominent christian families in the past.

And I wondered what the place will be of non-muslims in a majority muslim country. For example, if they will be allowed to build churches? Will they pay (more?) taxes? Will they be allowed to hold all positions in society(like judges, teachers, etc)?

What is your opinion on this?

Who has the right to decide our place in Somalia? You're under the assumption that secularists or non-muslims don't already hold high positions in our communities, publicly expressing those views isn't exactly good for your health in Islamic communities.

Carafaat   

Blackflash, do you want the sunday to be off from work? or rather on the friday? these are some dilema's the goverment should decide on if people should have the right to be off from work on sunday.

Of course the government should cater to the majority when creating institutions, but that's a big leap to limiting our careers. I don't support secularism so that I can change your lifestyle, I support it so others can't force unfair restrictions on me and others.

Carafaat;851173 wrote:
I am amazed by the number of atheist, agnost, secularist and christians in the Somali community. And I wondered what their place and role will be in a new Somalia? Somalia had some prominent christian families in the past.

And I wondered what the place will be of non-muslims in a majority muslim country. For example, if they will be allowed to build churches? Will they pay (more?) taxes? Will they be allowed to hold all positions in society(like judges, teachers, etc)?

What is your opinion on this?

have the courage to state your stand on the issue sxb. be bold.

what is important to appreciate though, is the fact that, a mulxid or a murtad have no other consideration than death.

It's rather simple actually, don't kill me and we won't have any problems. Although I'd prefer secularism, I can live (literally) with government restrictions placed on the whole group (ban on alchohol etc.), but don't single me out for persecution or limit what I jobs I can take. I can't speak for other secularists, as there isn't much coordination between us.

Marksman   

@sharma-arke451 You are one scary individual. Do you even have a regard for human life?

How about we judge someone by his or her character and love for the country. We need people that want to rebuild the country, educate its people and make it safe and beautiful. Regardless of their faith.

Carafaat   

Blackflash;851190 wrote:
It's rather simple actually, don't kill me and we won't have any problems. Although I'd prefer secularism, I can live (literally) with government restrictions placed on the whole group (ban on alchohol etc.), but don't single me out for persecution or limit what I jobs I can take. I can't speak for other secularists, as there isn't much coordination between us.

I can support that. Can't imagine somebody wanting to hurt someone just for not being a muslim. that would be cruel. am above all against our faith.

Carafaat;851203 wrote:
I can support that. Can't imagine somebody wanting to hurt someone just for not being a muslim. that would be cruel. am above all against our faith.

You don't need to imagine it, just read sharma-arke451's posts.

The-freeman;851215 wrote:
@ sharma-arke451: you must feel big and moral to pass death upon a life that you didn't create, nourish or educate.

No he doesn't, he'll pass the buck to god and say that he's just following orders.

I don't really know why any rationalist would ever go back to Somalia- the culture has gone backwards and worse it has been supplanted by the even more backwards Saud culture. I think the Kacanka government had the right idea when it took the sheikhs and religion out of politics; this will not happen in the new Somalia, sadly.

@The-freeman. It's more about what I can offer the country than what it can offer me. Canada has been great to me, but I feel as if I could make more of an impact on the lives of others in Somalia than I could here in Canada. Heck, I even think the prosperity of Somalia would benefit Canada in the future as it would ease the strain on the refugee system.