Sign in to follow this  
Love Somalia

What's the general opinion on PM Abdiweli Ali?

He is OK but not charasmatic , he the kinda you don't notice when they are talking Plus i heard he created jobs with fancy titles around him that was not there when Farmaajo was the PM.

I think he could be a good minister but not more than that ....

^^

Incidentally I was reading something by Chris Hedges literally moments before I stumbled on this, and there was a quote by Chomsky where he expresses gratitude to the high-heavens that no 'charismatic leader' has come forward in recent years, for they often turn into a Chairman Mao, a Joseph McCarthy.......:D

I'm personally not sure whether I agree with that assessment in its entirety, the case with Gamal Abdel Nasser, Mabuto, Castro and so forth lays credibility to the theory but the exception then for me would be: LEE KUAN YEW!!

How I wish Somalia had it's very own Lee Kuan post-independence.

Abwaan;851465 wrote:
Abdiweli did some good things in this tough period and deserves a respect for that. I think he was not strong or honest enough to deal with Farole's nonesense like both Omar Abdirashid and Farmaajo did. I also think that one of his problems is the clan issue. Some people who work with the government or are somehow connected to the TFG accused him and even stated that the only other individuals who are not from his immediate sub-clan that has worked at his office were Eng. Yariisoow who recently left his post and AUN Faisal H. Elmi who was killed after he got injured during the Mogadishu Theatre suicide attack back in April this year. He has the right to become a candidate and he is surely better than many that are running but I would not vote for him to be a president for Somalia.

I was under the impression that Abdiweli challenges Faroole too often, and that Faroole is now the biggest obstacle for Abdiweli in the upcoming elections? :confused:

NGONGE   

Seems decent and competent enough but, from experience, it's not hard to guess that he's going to go the way of all previous Somali PMs.

Carafaat;851502 wrote:

LST was right on the man. I am beginning to like Abdiwali. hope he joins Hiilqaran after the elections.
:D

Caraafaatoow, Abdiweli is the right man for the country at this juncture of time. He is authentic, competent and non-controversial. He has trekked the shifting sands of clan politics in the most dignified way possible. He panders to no certain clan, dislikes no particular community or seeks no specific glory. He is a very efficient pump putting out the necessary produce. I said this and I will say it again; Abdiweli is a rarity among Somali politicians in being both competent and honest.

Haatu   

Who can find an interview he recently did with Universal or Somali Channel where he talked about the roadmap and how he wants his legacy to be seen. I was very impressed to say the least. I just hope he returns to a similar role if not the top job itself. We need a technocrat to rebuild our economy and this is a fact that the world has learnt (look at Italy and earlier Greece who both had technocrats to get their economies back in order). He's what we need.

Shaqsi ahaanteyda abaal iga mudanyahay. Si wanaagsan reerkeena ugu soo dhaweeye Xamar, aaska aabaheyna bishii hore si weyn ugu qeyb qaatay. Asagoo xataa Nayroobi dan kale u joogo ayuu raacay meydka suu ugu booqan aaska, reerkana diyaarad dhan u soo diray (dad badan ayaa tikid bilaash u helay Xamar raacay meydka). Nayroobina reerka wuu ugu tagay guriga intee Xamar aadin, Xamarna wuu ku qaabilay markee tageen. Markee hooyo fiiso ay kusoo noqoto weysayna maalintii ku xigtayba diyaarad saaray bilaa fiiso la'aan, safaaradana dad ugu yimid ka soo saaray garoonka Nayroobi.

All this in the name of Soomaalinimo and nothing else.

Marka shaqsi ahaanteyda abaal weyn iga mudanyahay, asaga iyo madaxda kaleba. Nin wanaagsana waaye.

gooni   

Allaha u naxariisto aabe,waxaan u filay inuu aabe ahaa gudoomiyihii ugu horeeyay ee barlamaanka hadii jawaabta saas tahay waa waajib waxa uu qabtay shaqsi ahaan ha u qaadan waa arin qaran haduusan ahayna waa abaal gaara

Madaxdan aan kala dooranayno waa shaqaale UN wax awoodana uma laha inay aayaha umadooda ka taliyaan waxaaba shaki la geliyay inay maamuli karaan xarumaha booliska iyo dekedda airpor'ka waardiye soomaali ahna laguma aamini karo

Ma muuqan karto kartidiisa ilaa uu hohgaamiyo wadan xor ah oo madax banaan wax uu dhaqaajiyayna ilaa iyo hadda ma hayno aan ka ahayn wiil jiran buu isbitaal u qaaday iyo odayaashii dhaqankay dastuurkii isku af garan waayeen.

Thanks for the feedback guys. The one thing that impresses me about Abdiweli is his ability to get on with all types of different characters. Every single government since Adde were engulfed in a conflict between president and prime minister, except this one since he replaced Farmaajo.

Tallaabo   

The current prime minister is way better than all the so called presidents and prime ministers of the last 21 years in Koonfuria. He is more educated, more professional, more effective, more honest, more dignified, and more humble in my opinion than all the charlatans in Koonfuria. Give this guy the presidency for goodness sake if you want to have any hope of your country returning to normalcy.

Chimera   

I have respect for him, most of us here talk the talk but he walked the walk. Reviving a dead republic is no easy feat. There is an entire systemised cob-web of obstructionary forces that any leader in the world would struggle with to untangle if they were given the reigns. Farmaajo went ape on the domestic and foreign obstructionists too hard too fast, and it cost him his job. Abdiweli seems to be more in tune with the domestic landscape and the international one and has kept his ship from capsizing. Not many of us really understand the depth of destruction the former superstructure that is the Somali Republic - theoretically the champion of our interests on this planet - endured over the span of twenty years. The fact that the country until a month ago lacked a basic service like 'dry-cleaning' is a great indicator that we are starting from ground zero, and this includes the political scene in terms of accountability and power-projection.

We measure our current politicians by comparing them with the prewar leaders, but that is a mistake, because all those presidents and prime-ministers had strong Somali institutions that legitimised their power, be it government, military, economy, international allies, etc. Similarly the Somali citizens at that time were safer, happier and more educated than they are today. Abdiweli and the other technocrats are working with what they have, and improved upon the work of the previous technocrats, and this is where the interesting pattern begins.

We are in era where the Somali people are steadily seeing the rise of an educated political elite. The Somali cabinet is most likely the most qualified in the region already, and this trend is set to continue post-August when the government becomes a fully-functioning one with the capability to engage international partners on a equal level. This was the political evolution of South-Korea post-Korean War, they had to endure warlord remnants but at the same time there was an influx of educated Korean politicians that slowly but surely displaced the warlords and generals.

Abdiweli's handling of the controversy regarding the constitution was poor, but everything else; from drawing in major allies like Kuwait and Turkey, to engaging the diaspora, and hitting all the August deadline targets were excellent. This new class of 'bloodless' politicians is a group I welcome with both hands.