Sign in to follow this  
Somalia

Constitutional Progress Halted

Somalia   

VOA.jpg

Friday, July 13, 2012

A constituent assembly tasked with choosing the members of Somalia's next parliament will not convene on schedule, due to tribal elders' concerns about the country's draft constitution. In what appears to be a play for more political power, the elders are withholding the names of candidates for the new assembly.

An 825-member National Constituent Assembly representing a broad range of Somali political factions was scheduled to meet Thursday in Mogadishu to begin its work selecting members of Somalia's parliament.

But a council of tribal elders responsible for selecting members of the constituent assembly have refused to release the names.

Mohamed Hassan Haad, the chairman of the Hawiy clan elders, said this is a way for the elders to exert more influence over the transition process.

"Actually we have all the names," Haad said, "but elders were saying to each other if they present the names everything will be in the hands of the parliament and nothing will remain for the elders to talk and be consulted about."

Haad adds that the elders are particularly concerned about a draft constitution, written in consultation with the United Nations. In a previous VOA interview he said that elders take issue with sections granting women the right to run for high office and that the draft does not specify a capital city.

According to the U.N.-backed "Roadmap" process for ending the political transition, it is the parliament that will decide whether to approve the constitution, not the elders.

Haad added that the elders are getting mixed signals from the U.N. and the other signatories to the Roadmap.

"They say that the elders have an important role to select better people for the next government," said Haad. "On the other hand they say we aren't doing what we're supposed to do. We don't see our role the way they see it."

A diplomatic source familiar with the discussions told VOA the constituent assembly likely will be delayed until July 22 or 23.

The source said once the parliament is formed, the transition should be completed on time, emphasizing that all parties are still adamant about the August 20 deadline for lawmakers to elect a president.

Somalia;850586 wrote:
VOA.jpg

Friday, July 13, 2012

A constituent assembly tasked with choosing the members of Somalia's next parliament will not convene on schedule, due to tribal elders' concerns about the country's draft constitution. In what appears to be a play for more political power, the elders are withholding the names of candidates for the new assembly.

An 825-member National Constituent Assembly representing a broad range of Somali political factions was scheduled to meet Thursday in Mogadishu to begin its work selecting members of Somalia's parliament.

But a council of tribal elders responsible for selecting members of the constituent assembly have refused to release the names.

Mohamed Hassan Haad, the chairman of the Hawiy clan elders, said this is a way for the elders to exert more influence over the transition process.

"
Actually we have all the names
," Haad said, "
but elders were saying to each other if they present the names everything will be in the hands of the parliament and nothing will remain for the elders to talk and be consulted about."

Haad adds that the elders are particularly concerned about a draft constitution, written in consultation with the United Nations. In a previous VOA interview he said that
elders take issue with sections granting women the right to run for high office
and that the draft does not specify a capital city.

According to the U.N.-backed "Roadmap" process for ending the political transition, it is the parliament that will decide whether to approve the constitution, not the elders.

Haad added that the elders are getting mixed signals from the U.N. and the other signatories to the Roadmap.

"They say that the elders have an important role to select better people for the next government," said Haad. "On the other hand they say we aren't doing what we're supposed to do.
We don't see our role the way they see it
."

A diplomatic source familiar with the discussions told VOA the constituent assembly likely will be delayed until July 22 or 23.

The source said once the parliament is formed, the transition should be completed on time, emphasizing that all parties are still adamant about the August 20 deadline for lawmakers to elect a president.

I don't know why the Somali people trust these greedy,immoral and illiterate bunch to decide their fate. They should be sent to North Korea the lot of them.

Haad adds that the elders are particularly concerned about a draft constitution, written in consultation with the United Nations. In a previous VOA interview he said that elders take issue with sections granting women the right to run for high office and that the draft does not specify a capital city.

Unfortunately a lot of people believe in this. I lived in the middle east most of my life and I've a feeling women in Somalia will have it worse than their sisters in Saudi Arabia.

we are not going to follow those ****** arabs and treat our women like they do. women can and should hold highest office. odayaal ayagaba tuugnimo meesha kusoogalay baa dumarka wax udiidaya. it shows how they don't even belong in this century.

Marksman   

So these elders hijack women's rights and are misogynistic? I always thought Somalis were progressive by themselves and were stalled because of the conflicts.

We must not forget that women represent more than 50% of our population and are one of our greatest assets. To rebuild our country without women's full potential it is as if one is trying to walk with one leg.

We cannot afford to be backwards. Also, we need to have our own identity that has nothing to do with Arabs. The arabisation of Somalia is insane. We are loosing ourselves.

Why is it not possible for Islamic countries to be good places to be a woman? I see no contradiction with Islam. I hope that our generation knows how important women can be in peace and nation building.

I truly hope we can become a progressive, modern state that cares for the rights of its citizens. That is why the foundations have to be laid as soon as possible.

These elders seem to be living in the Middle Ages.

This is 1 of the most disturbing things about current Somali affairs....this misogyny exhibited by a large percentage of the men in Somalia!

We should be more progressive, and recognize the immense contributions women can make to Somalia. I dont know how we are gonna change the thought process of these men, but we have to start now.

I know a British Somali man who actually believes that woman have no right to work outside the home. This is unbelievable!

^^^well....women sure. But definitely not children lol

There are plenty of capable Somali women out there, theres no need to limit ourselves by restricting the rights of women.