Sign in to follow this  
somalee

Return of land and homes in Mogadishu

somalee   

Hello everybody. Was wondering if some of us will ever get back some of our homes and lands we abandoned in Mogadishu amidst the civil war around two decades ago.

My uncle's friend went back a couple of months ago and he found a new house where his former house stood. Apparently the house and the land upon which it was erected has been sold and resold several times over the past 20 years. Current occupants claim they rightfully bought the land before they built their new own house.

The more the war drags on in Somalia, the less likely it gets for some people to ever claim back houses and land they left in the start of the war. Subxanallah.

Somalia   

oba hiloowlow;850286 wrote:
Do your family have Superlog (documents)? If they have it No problems you will get your houses inshallah

People kept their documents while fleeing through the city . :D:D

Chimera   

Mogadishu is half the size of a mega-metropolis like Hong Kong yet a hundred times less built than that city. Mogadishu is 300 times the size of splendid Monaco. Isn't it better to forget and move on where the situation is too confusing to rectify it? My family has old property somewhere in Hodan district, but I have no interest in claiming it. Instead I have my eyes on better land, still empty.

This is not to say there shouldn't be some compensation, but twenty years is a heck of a long time, this is like opening a can of worms. The crooks are long gone, with only the purchasers who paid real money for it left in place.

somalee   

oba hiloowlow;850286 wrote:
Do your family have Superlog (documents)? If they have it No problems you will get your houses inshallah

Yes we do, but I still don't think it's enough. The ''owners'' would want to be compensated and that complicates it.

Chimera;850309 wrote:
Mogadishu is half the size of a mega-metropolis like Hong Kong yet a hundred times less built than that city. Mogadishu is 300 times the size of splendid Monaco. Isn't it better to forget and move on where the situation is too confusing to rectify it? My family has old property somewhere in Hodan district, but I have no interest in claiming it. Instead I have my eyes on better land, still empty.

This is not to say there shouldn't be some compensation, but twenty years is a heck of a long time, this is like opening a can of worms. The crooks are long gone, with only the purchasers who paid real money for it left in place.

I completely agree with you--for the time being.

My grandmother visited Mogadishu last year and visited her old house, only to find some random family living there. She couldn't do anything to evict them as the house was actually bought by this family. They bought the property from some Crook who claimec the property was his.

So the situation is now too complicated to find a solution. However, for simpler predicaments, I think the government should take the case to Court and figure out a solution

Abwaan   

somalee;850518 wrote:
Yes we do, but I still don't think it's enough. The ''owners'' would want to be compensated and that complicates it.

This is a difficult situation, but I would tell the current occuppiers to vacate the property, move out and destroy the building if their claim is we built it unless your uncle would like to settle with compensation. I beleive anybody who bought a land/property during the civil year took the risk of buying a looted one. I came across potential, land or properties in Mogadishu and was never interested to buy those because of confusions like this. I am hoping that when Somalia has a stable government these problems will be solved on a case by case. There should be no xaqdarro and those victims of this civil war who had already suffered enough including, death of relatives, hunger, fear, diseases, being refugees and not living in their houses should not altogether loose their properties.

Just to let people know that other cities have problems like this too for instance, Kismaayo, Gaalkacyo, Boosaaso and so on. Some people built government took over and built on properties or land.

The funny thing is the last time I saw the home I grew up was 1986 and it is completely destroyed and do not even know if somebody built it and own it now, but I am not even thinking of reclaiming it all. Maba u baahni Alxamdulillaah. I will wait markii dowlad sugan la helo markaas baan dhahayaa meel bannaan oon qofi yeelan oo badda u dhow halla ii cabbiro possibly Marka or Dhanaane insha Allaah.

one guy went back 10yrs after the oxdus to claim his house.11 guys were occuping & told the owner there still one more(that make 12 of thm)fighting in kismayo & they can't make a decision til he is back.They told owner to check with thm in 2 weeks as that guy suppose to return from the front.Guess what! when the gentleman atlast thought he get his home,he was told the 12th one in the front died & hence no decision could be taken & is better he run with dear life.

few could reclaim but most by in large should forget & move on.