Sign in to follow this  
Garnaqsi

Premier League 2012/13

N.O.R.F   

I have watched Phil Dowd officiate Liverpool games so many times I'm convinced he just hates us. What a joke of a ref! Two clear penalties he didn't award for us tonight. We played the best football we have played all season but only after going down 2-0.

Oz   

Gerrard

This season for me it has become more evident that Stevie is finished as a first teamer. As sad as that is to say about a club legend and an outstanding player for Liverpool .. it is true. No one can deny he was a world class player and has given everything.

But there is no room for sentiment in football and he is hindering the team but yet seems undroppable. He is slow, sloppy (especially when the opposition are on the attack) and seems to have lost his shooting boots.

May be as a squad player, rest between games will do him good and when he does come on be more advanced.

What is everyone's thoughts on this?

I will start another one for Lampard Our legend

NGONGE   

^^ It's rubbish. Gerrard does a job and does it well. These are people that don't understand football (like Norf :D) and expect a player to play the same way no matter the system. Gerrard is playing much deeper now (not by design) and does a great job of breaking up the play alongside Allen and keeping it simple (or at least trying to). Fans who are used to his forty yard passes and superhero games are disappointed and think he's rubbish.

p.s.

It's the same case with Lampard.

Oz   

^^^^^ The problem with him, is he hasn't got what it takes to adapt his game. I've seen him for years that he wasn't suited to playing CM and that was when he had all his powers and he could get up and down the pitch all game. He's totally lost in the system of Brendan Rodgers is trying to play, and it's affecting the team big time. Last game was just embarrassing. He was just standing there as Swansea would just coast past him and leave Allen to try and stop the attacks and again he gave the ball away more than anyone on the pitch. He seems more suited to playing for Hodgson's England than he does for Rodgers' Liverpool that's for sure.

What is annoying is he can be the worst player on the pitch and Rodgers won't take him off. He's played every minute in the Premiership, and when he's been on the bench in the cups Rodgers always gets him on quickly so he's not really getting a rest.

His best position these days is on the bench, ready to come on for the last 20 minutes against tiring defences when you need a goal, but that's not going to happen.

NGONGE   

^^ He misplaced a few passes, saaxib. He does not "just stand there" and he is still a very very good player. Even if Rodgers wanted to rest him, he really does not have any suitable replacements, saaxib.

As for adapting his game. Gerrard played on the right of midfield, in the middle and even at right back (in that great CL final). He can adapt his game. However, his best place (and most productive) was when he played behind the front man. This is something that Rodgers has not allowed him to do so far.

Liverpool's problem is not the players. It's the manager and his stubborn ideas.

Oz   

Ngonge, No denying that Gerrard has been a fantastic servant for liverpool club (Just like Lampard has for us or Giggs), and has done some fantastic things for the team, scoring vital goals, who can remember the goals in the FA Cup final, that got you's into the Champions League knock out, the goal against Milan to spur onto the come back, but unfortunatly he hasn't got that anymore. He isn't suited to the style you play now, and hasn't got the legs to be the box to box midfielder that he is, and now just strolls through the field taking home a big pay check. LOL

But like a mentioned above, Brendan will be fearing a backlash from the fans (like you) if he starts phasing Gerrard out, which shouldn't be the case. Fans who would, need to realise it's what is best for the team, and if he want success for the team. Nobody is indispensable and i'd personally drop Gerrard for Shelvey, who is proving to be a cracking player and is similar to what Gerrard used to be. Brendan needs to realise playing Gerrard in nearly every game, Europa and Premiership you just can't keep holding on for something special to come, as he is hindering the team and proved that on many occasions this season.

As you said, There may be a more suitable position but that isn't anywhere in the midfield. And yes the manager needs to rectify it either by dropping him or finding the more suitable position, something the past two managers haven't done either. I think it is a decline in ability rather than been played in the wrong position or out of form etc.

To be continued...:D

NGONGE   

^^ It's nothing to do with that. Rodgers has no choice but to play him, saaxib. Shelvey, Henderson and Sahin are either not fit enough or far too young to do a proper job. Gerrard has the experience and know how, saaxib.

I actually don't support Gerrard for being Gerrard and I always hated his obsession with forty yard passes. However, until Lucas comes back I really can't see the captain losing his place, saaxib. Plus, he's not really "old". He's only 32!

Lampard and Giggs are a different story. They have younger players in their team that are actually better than them. Lampard can't compete with Hazard, Mata, Ramierz or Oscar. Though (in a holding role) he has been better than that Spanish kid and is more intelligent than Mikel.

p.s.

Shelvey is overrated. Good player but has yet to show if his potential is worth anything. Sterling has done a better job than him (in showing that there is more there).

Haatu   

Wenger, Wenger oh Wenger. Please when you leave, make sure you leave with dignity. I'd hate for the fans to turn against him.

Oz   

^^^ Give Benitez a chance.

Great performance today. Imagine if that were the Capital One Cup Final today! haha

I thought Hazard was immense today. Amazing performance and deserved to be MOTM, in My opinion.

I was impressed with Luiz too, but thought there were pro's and con's to him playing in midfield. I like how quick he is to close down the player on the ball, that urgency to win the ball back was refreshing to see and I only usually see it from Oscar. He showed a good range of passing with his left and right foot and when we're defending having that extra natural defender was always helpful. What I thought was overlooked today though, was how often Luiz got forward. He lacks discipline and appears too keen to be near the ball at times for Me, where position wise he ought to be somewhere else. Today was one of those days he got away with it because Villa were really poor, but it's something he'll need to work on if he plays there regularly. I'm not sure if Rafa had a word with him at half time, or if he just over ran himself, but he looked a lot more reserved/disciplined in the 2nd half and it was good to see.

Was also impressed with the small cameo appearance from Piazon. He looked really sharp and blended in with Oscar and Hazard as if he were one of the original 3 amigos. Great assist for Ramires and shame not to score the penalty. Had someone else stepped up and scored he could of been looking at 2 assists in 20 minutes today! Would be nice to see more of him this season, but if we're not sure I think a loan move for the 2nd half of the season could be good for us and Piazon. Not sure what club would be able to offer him guaranteed game time with only limited chances to see what he can do. Maybe a Championship club?

Seriously I have given up on ARSENE. in the last 24 hours he made three different interviews with all different messages " he will buy, he won't, no he will buy" WTF

Then I hear thru the grapevines Arsenal are talking a world class player and he is dishing alot of money for this star player.... I hope it is true!

Lost Cause

Oz   

Harsh result on Arsenal, but over both halves I do think we were the better team with the better chances.

I had a gut feeling it was going to be 2-2 today (even when we were 2-0 up) so glad that didn't happen!

Did originally think Szczęsny should of been sent off, but looks like Ramires slipped in front of goal, which at least made up for the foul Diaby got away with on Oscar in the box.

Also thought Wilshere would have been more effective CM, where he could of been involved in closing down Matazacar more. Looked wasted behind the striker at times because never saw the ball.

Ba keeps showing he looks a better option than Torrres, but I still think we need someone of better quality before we can challenge again. He's a good rotation option in a good squad, IMO. But annoyed his miss wasn't even really discussed, but had it been Torres they would of replayed it 100 times and it would of been labelled miss of the season etc. he's not performing as was expected, big the double standards are ridiculous.

Ps: LOZ come to Chavski..

nuune   

^^ Don't feel any jiljileec for that team, sxb, waa sakaraad team and they will continue with that sakaraad, at least Liverpool dont go to CL every year to exit early, such are the traits of this team, now Arsenal whether they go to CL or not doesn't make any difference they will be beaten by sometime in Macedonia.

Being fair here, last time we had a proper CL xaraarto was when Liverpool were in there, they bring history, iyo adduunya kale which makes the CL the best.