Sign in to follow this  
Somali philosopher

Economics Major?

Let us kill talks of choosing a degree subject because it "might" be useful in Somalia. The idea that a majority of Somalis living in the West will go back is laughable. Yes, few have; but for most that country will be nothing more than a place for the occasional holiday.

^^^not for me. i have lived in america for 6 years and i already hate being here. maybe its the 100% humidity in the summer or the below 20 winter but some how i have missed the paradise i was promised in africa where money grew on trees.

Somali philosopher;848687 wrote:
^^^not for me. i have lived in america for 6 years and i already hate being here. maybe its the 100% humidity in the summer or the below 20 winter but some how i have missed the paradise i was promised in africa where money grew on trees.

America is a big place (unless television has lied to me), why not move around? All these idyllic places you hear about: California, Miami, Maine, Rhode Island are they no good? Have you tried Alaska?

Somali philosopher;848700 wrote:
^^^bro i gotta establish myself first.

am single and there is a huge pool of somali honeys to choose from in MN compared to those other places

first things first.

alaska kumalahoo

I say Alaska because I live in a country where you can get from one side to the other in a few hours. America is a continent masquerading as a country; nomads should be what is in our blood; mobile. But the honeys come first :D

Garnaqsi   

The-freeman;848685 wrote:
Let us kill talks of choosing a degree subject because it "might" be useful in Somalia. The idea that a majority of Somalis living in the West will go back is laughable. Yes, few have; but for most that country will be nothing more than a place for the occasional holiday.

Also because it gets one's priorities completely upside down, as I've said earlier. Talking about helping your country not only before you even get a degree but making that the reason for your choice of subject is so laughably naive and unrealistic, to say the least.

Raamsade   

I have both B.Sc and BA (Economics)... clearly I didn't know what I wanted to do so I hedged my bets and went for 2 degrees. My take is this: don't bother with studying Business because you can always get MBA after you do B.Sc or whatever. And don't bother with Accounting (a good field) because to get the big jobs that pay well like auditing, tax planning, public accounting, etc. you need to be certified accountant with CA or CPA or CMA and you get that through professional bodies not through University. Economics is just about the only useful BA but be advised that is math intensive so if math isn't your strong suit, look elsewhere.

Abwaan   

Somali philosopher;848700 wrote:
^

alaska kumalahoo

loooooool waa naxday haye? Inaad mar hore markabkii mallay-*****wba fushay maa moodeyna?

Tallaabo   

I would say take whichever field you are interested in as long as it gets you to the University of Minnesota which is an internationally respected institution. Nowadays, employers also choose candidates based on their Alma Mata. For instance, getting an engineering degree from some obscure state university will not give you any more advantage when it comes to employment than someone who got a BA in yoga from MIT or Caltech.

Garnaqsi;848719 wrote:
Also because it gets one's priorities completely upside down, as I've said earlier. Talking about helping your country not only before you even get a degree but making that the reason for your choice of subject is so laughably naive and unrealistic, to say the least.

Garnaqsi, well many of these fields are also profitable, intriguing, and could potentially help Africa if the situation calls for it. A degree such as Economics, or Engineering, or even graduating from Medical School makes you extremely versatile, capable of working in any country, and makes you stand out in a competitive job market.

A job does become more fulfilling if you genuinely believe what you're doing is helping a cause you believe in, or a cause which interests you