Sign in to follow this  
Somali philosopher

Economics Major?

^^

I agree with u thats what i did i studied industrial engineering for 4 years ,studied 1 extra year to get a bachelor in economics too and now im doin my major in Innovation and Business Creation,, i want to start a business in east africa in the future and move back for good.

Garnaqsi;848585 wrote:
Somali philosopher -- I don't understand why you're putting economics under the 'business field'. Maybe things work differently in the States, but over here in Britain a business degree is considered a doss subject while economics is considered a rigorous degree.
Getting a master's degree that's completely different to your degree wouldn't make you stand out in any good way.

it is kind of like that here too but people just put economics in business field.

Blessed   

Do some more research by starting at the end, where you want to be after you're done with this student lark. Do you have a specific job in mind? A specific sector? What careers in that sector do you see yourself in? What are the entry requirements / routes into this career path? Find people in the field, talk to them, shadow them for a day if you can. From there, you can narrow down major / minor choices.

Garnaqsi   

Bluelicious;848530 wrote:
I agree with Freeman. You should choose a course that your interested in and are passionate about and not because it's a popular course. You need to live your own life make your own choices don't let other people tell you how to live your life. Your more likely gonna be happy and succeed with your work if it's something your passionate about and love doing that's the real fact. I suggest you first find out what you're interested in and what you wanna do in the future and then do your research in courses.

To be honest, I find this advice of doing whatever you enjoy as destructive as the one where parents pick their children's subjects of choice. One of the pitfalls of going to state school is that students make their GCSE/A-level choices under this guidance only to later on learn that almost all good universities don't accept many of the subjects which they have studied or that the combination doesn't suit what they wish to study. I think the important thing is that one's subject choices should be decided not only on whether or not one likes the concerned subjects but also their academic status; that is, the important thing is making an informed choice.

You could get your Masters in Business Administration (MBA) in under two years. i know many young men who studied Mechanical Engineering and got their MBA's after.

So now they have knowledge on technical subjects (engineering) as well as knowledge on business.

The goal is to help rebuild Somalia, while also providing a living for your family

Im also young myself...and to be honest:

I'm torn between studying Environmental Engineering and Industrial Engineering

Like I would love to help rebuild Somalis beautiful landscape, help with waste management and think of ways to help the environment as a whole.

But it seems as if Industrial Engineering provides more opportunities

Garnaqsi;848593 wrote:
To be honest, I find this advice of doing whatever you enjoy as destructive as the one where parents pick their children's subjects of choice. One of the pitfalls of going to state school is that students make their GCSE/A-level choices under this guidance only to latter on learn that almost all good universities don't accept many of the subjects which they have studied or that the combination doesn't suit what they wish to study. I think the important thing is that one's subject choices should be decided not only on whether or not one likes the concerned subjects but also their academic status; that is, the important thing is making an informed choice.

i have seen that happen to students, where many of their courses were denied. but since i am going to UofM one of the most respectable schools i dont have to worry about that. and i dont plan on leaving until i get a degree.

Well Garnaqsi, to be honest Industrial Engineering can also help not just Somalia, but the region as a whole....it can help with supply chain management, quality control, logistics, and overseeing production

So if ever I wanted to help start a factory in the country, (providing jobs for the population) I would have the right skills to run that factory

Garnaqsi;848593 wrote:
To be honest, I find this advice of doing whatever you enjoy as destructive as the one where parents pick their children's subjects of choice. One of the pitfalls of going to state school is that students make their GCSE/A-level choices under this guidance only to later on learn that almost all good universities don't accept many of the subjects which they have studied or that the combination doesn't suit what they wish to study. I think the important thing is that one's subject choices should be decided not only on whether or not one likes the concerned subjects but also their academic status; that is, the important thing is making an informed choice.

I believe that a person should follow their dreams and goals in a particular field of their choice and of course by doing that they need to know what are the requirements the university needs from them if they want to study that course. I'm not saying study whatever you want in high school and when you go to university you come to a suprise that none of the subjects you chose meets the requirement. That wasn't my whole point. A person should do some research on the things that interest them and what the career options are afterwards. I agree you need to have some back up subjects incase you change your mind so you still meet the basic requirements. Having back up subjects is necessary. The more back up subjects you have the more you secure your place on a wider field of courses.

Garnaqsi   

Bluelicious -- Fair enough.

Somali philosopher;848598 wrote:
i have seen that happen to students, where many of their courses were denied. but since i am going to UofM one of the most respectable schools i dont have to worry about that. and i dont plan on leaving until i get a degree.

Cool! But they made you an offer before you even decided what to study? The American system is weird! :P

Abwaan   

Somali philosopher;848577 wrote:
I see what you mean about parents, my parents like all Somali parents would like to see me in a white coat. But I have never been interested in becoming a doctor. Even after shadowing doctors. Although I am very good at biology.

I chose business field because it interests me most. In fact I have joined this forum after seeing a discussion on an economics article. I am most interested in Somalia and feel like my future skills would be beneficial there

If you are good at biology and would be interested to relocate to Somalia then although the choice is yours I would recommend you to be a veterinarian....cause I believe this is one Somalia's immediate resources and I have not seen or heard a single Somali studying this field for the last 20 years....It is just a suggestion but I suggest you to learn something that you personally like!!!

Abwaan;848620 wrote:
If you are good at biology and would be interested to relocate to Somalia then although the choice is yours I would recommend you to be a veterinarian....cause I believe this is one Somalia's immediate resources and I have not seen or heard a single Somali studying this field for the last 20 years....It is just a suggestion but I suggest you to learn something that you personally like!!!

I do think that field is almost non existent in somalia. but me taking the time to do something i have even the faintest of interest would not be good.