Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Muqdisho Shoe Shiners

ElPunto   

I'd like to know how long it took him to save up to print up that sign. And wouldn't it make sense that the sign be in Somali since most customers would be unlikely to speak English. And why do all the customers look like they're posing. Fishy.

Malika   

^Mogadishu has became a melting pot of Africa [erm African Armies] marka to have a sign in Somali wouldnt be right for business - he is widening his customer scope.

Val, indeed walaal - he is better off working - me thinks.

Valenteenah.;847507 wrote:
I really don't like seeing children having to earn their own or family's income.

Ineey shaqeestaan ayaa u dhaanto ilmaha.....shaqadu waa wax fiican, waxeey doontaba ha ahaate.

It always pains me to see children working, but as Malika points out its better than many alternatives. Wishing the wee one all the best.

Che -Guevara;847500 wrote:
Leave Blue alone. She doesn't know where Dahabshiil is located in her town.

Che you know and understand me so well it's scary sometimes. Never seen a Dahabshiil office let alone used it. I've never sended money overseas :o

Wadani   

raula;847471 wrote:
well wat a pic! explains 'our ethnocentrism' & stratas that exist.

How so? Because the shoe-shining kid is Somali Bantu, and his patrons arent?

NGONGE   

Lets cheer Val up here, people. :D

7602-shoe-shiner-antigua-guatemala.jpg

shoe-shiner-big.jpg

The beauty of the shoe shiners I saw in H town (and I hope those in the Somali capital are the same) is that they sit under nobody's feet. The proud kids (beloved of Xaaji Xundjuf) take your shoes away, shine them and bring them back once they're done. :D

(anyway, to look back on your life and say "I used to be a shoe shiner as a kid" is a million times better than spending a lifetime as a shoe shiner).

Juxa   

Shaqadu waa sharaf! Period

I would have liked him in a school but at least he is motivated enough

Blue, many young people don't know as their parents send the money. But now that you are young adult hopefully you will help family, friends and old neighbours out!