Sign in to follow this  
Siciid1986

Fahima Osman, surgeon and Dove® role model (video)

Killil5   

Yunis;847987 wrote:
@ElPunto - you are fighting a losing battle here,

If this girl obtained her accredited MD thru the Canadian system, she should be congratulated.

The Canadian system is notoriously flawed.

* 16 schools offer faculty of medical school in Canada- compare over 214 Med Schools in the states.

* 6 of those schools are in Ontario.

* Each school accepts 100 students per-year (Ontarians fair the worst, since all other provinces can apply Ontario, but you have to be a two year residence to apply schools in other provinces). So, in Ontario, you will be competing students from all over the country.

The chances vary from school to school and are much better in other provinces. However, in Ontario where most Somalis live, the outlook is dismal; there are students with over 95% scores who can't get in.

Even with high MCAT scores, students go through rigorous approval process and then three levels of soft skills interview process. Including interpersonal / social skills, emotional intelligence...etc. Then, if one is lucky at medical school, more challenges will be on your way on 'training' medical apprenticeship institutions to gain experience.

Medical school being elitist, costly field, Somalis undoubtedly lack the connections, and resources, so most opt out, some head to the Caribbean or stateside.

it’s a system design to keep the numbers scarce and services expensive for the professional elites and their kids.....

I am from ottawa and I must say you got wrong information. You only need 3 out of 4 GPA in first 3 years of premed at McMaster U and average is around 3.2 for entry. MCAT is very basic exam and you can take it many times if you wish. The interviews (they like you or not) and extra-curriculum activities is what kills most somali students. They don't have mentors to prepare them and most don't know how to beat the system. A friend of mine once told that if you tell exotic stories about of how your mother or sister was raped and you were rescued by wild dogs in Africa you should be in good shape during the interview. Interestingly his joke is not very far from the truth. Many times admission all comes down to interview performance even if you have good or bad GPA.

1. Applicants must have completed a minimum of three years of undergraduate degree level work (30 half year credits or 15 full year credits or a combination).

2. Applicants must have achieved an overall OMSAS converted average of 3.00 on the 4.00 point scale.

3. All applicants to the MD Program are required to write the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) prior to the application deadline date. A minimum score of 6 on the Verbal Reasoning component is required. The most recent test result will be used for those applicants who attempt the MCAT more than once

in the video fahima osman is propped up as an "average" desert girl who beat the odds because she wasn't brightest in her class and no one took her seriously. very predictable.

I am here to congratulate her for beating the odds. I myself am premed and I ishelah I will graduate in few years.

Taleexi;848139 wrote:
Ta yari, waa nacnac inay isku keen dirto baan ka baqayaa.

Sxb tani waa gabar dheer lol ee iska iloow adiga kuwa gaaban lee kugu ogaa see weeye :)

Aaliyyah   

Killil first of all welcome to Sol. Hope you enjoy your stay here. Secondly, you are right that the cut off GPA for McMaster is 3 out the 4.0 GPA. However, the cut off is much lower than the average GPA of those who get accepted. They just want as many people to apply , making the competition higher. They call for an interview hundreds of students, so those who make it usually have much higher GPA than the cut off. Of course at times people with lower GPA do make it, if they present good extra curriculum and like you said a good personal story. But, on average it is excelling academically that takes you to medical school. I know many students who are from Toronto, who have high GPA yet couldn’t get accepted to the Canadian medical schools and opted out to go to the states or the Caribbean for the medical studies. I even heard there are some medical schools in the states that don’t look at anything other than your MCAT score. So, it is a fact that the Canadian medical schools are more challenging to get in relatively speaking. And those who makes it, do deserve to be congratulated and praised .

The following link should give you a clear idea of the cut off and the average GPA for Canadian schools.

http://www.oxfordseminars.ca/MCAT/mcat_profiles.php

McMaster University

MD Program Manager, Cathy Oudshoorn

Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine, McMaster University

1280 Main St West, MDCL - 3107

Hamilton, ON L8S 4K1

Tel: (905) 525-9140 ext. 22141 Fax: (905) 546-0349

| Email:

Application Deadline: October 1, 2012, 4:30 p.m. EDT. [must register your intent to apply by September 15]

MCAT must have been written within five years prior to application deadline [scores older than five years will not be considered]

First-Year Class Size: 203 [95% Ontario residents; 5% Out-of-Province Canadian residents]; 3,548 applicants

Tuition: $23,338.73 [includes supplementary fees]

Admissions: Three-year Bachelor's degree, official transcripts, autobiographical submissions, and a Multiple Mini Interview. Applicants must also complete a 90-minute computer-based test called CASPer, which assesses interpersonal skills and decision-making abilities. Offers of admission will be conditional upon incoming students completing a Basic Life Support Training for Health Care Providers course after June 1, 2013.

Average GPA: 3.75 [minimum GPA: 3.0]

Average MCAT Verbal Reasoning: 10.58

[McMaster uses only the Verbal Reasoning score in the selection process. A minimum score of 6 on the MCAT Verbal Reasoning is required].

Prerequisite Courses: No prerequisite courses, although many successful applicants come from scientific backgrounds.

View upcoming MCAT Preparation Courses in Hamilton

*Blessed;847916 wrote:
She's done good, no doubt or discussion it. However, she's not here to read my congrats, so I would rather have a conversation with Elpunto who is present, which is the purpose of this forum, is that alright with you Aaliyah?

No, its not alright.

Fahima wants to combat cancer, Blessed wants to troll, LOL...

Blessed, it matters little what her personal story is, and especially in this thread. If you want to do that, open another thread eedo and be as critical as you want.

In the meantime, know that Fahima treats more people in one year than Silanyo has helped in all of his miserable life. That alone should

bring your partisan self in line.

Remember, you are a woman. Women are not suppose to hate on other women.

Best Wishes,

LayZie G

NGONGE   

^^ What clan is Fahima? :P

I blame El Punto for all of this. Could he not ignore the small print and just play along with the (intended) 'good feel' factor of this thread? :D

ElPunto   

^Now I have a taste of what A&T must feel like.

Layzie on Blessed - what a surprise!

Kilil - Yunis and Aaliyaah are right. The Canadian system is absurd. You may think McM and the 3.0 GPA but as Aaliyaah pointed it's a fiction to enhance applicants. I have family members who couldn't even get an interview and accepted and given scholarships in the states. Good luck with your endevours. But you might want to think about going this route:

http://www.hiiraan.com/op4/2010/aug/15557/congratulations_to_lilian_and_mohamed.aspx

Blessed   

Hahahaha. Layzie. You never fail to amuse me, huuno. Since you want to get political, Fahima is on 'team SL / Siilaanyo' and far more of an advocate for the cause than I'll ever be. Her contribution to the health sector back home is also appreciated and welcomed. :)

p.s I didn't think that so many nomads lacked comprehension skills. A critique of a given narrative of someone’s story by a third party is not akin to hating that person.

Garnaqsi   

Aaliyyah;847919 wrote:
She's done good, no doubt or discussion it. However, she's not here to read my congrats, so I would rather have a conversation with Elpunto who is present, which is the purpose of this forum, is that alright with you Aaliyah?

As long as you see her accomplishments as worthy of emulation then we are the same page. And, personally I could careless how she presented herself in the media. But, since that is bothering you, continue your conversation...

Blimey, where is your sarcasm detector? :P

EDIT: My apologies Aaliyyah. I mixed up the posts. I didn't realise that was in reply to ElPunto.

Aaliyyah   

Garnaqsi, are you that bored????...

That reply you copy pasted under Blessed's comment was for Elpunto. As it is clear from my post earlier when I quoted him.

Shaqa kale qabso ayaan ku odhan lahaa.

posted by Elpunto: Sorry aaliyyaa - her ambition, accomplishments are worthy of congratulation and emulation - the way she presented her story to the media is totally without merit.

As long as you see her accomplishments as worthy of emulation then we are the same page. And, personally I could careless how she presented herself in the media. But, since that is bothering you, continue your conversation...