Sign in to follow this  
Somali philosopher

I'm not a Somalilander, I'm a Somali

Aaliyyah   

He is so right. They are the ones who called us British Somaliland/French Somaliland/ Italian Somaliland so they can divide and conquer.

Mashallah. Well done to this brother.

Ilaahay somaliweyn ha ino soo celiyo. That is the only way forward.

salaam

a confused and tormented little brats attempt to create a 'niche' for himself. if he's not interested then NO one is forcing him to accept such a term.

Wadani   

This kid is ignorant, even though he has good and noble intentions. All Somalilanders consider themselves Somali by ethnicity, and only use the term Somalilander to show where they r from. His point is nonsensical, because its like saying the Chinese shouldn't call themselves Chinese when asked where they are from but should say they are 'Han', which is the largest ethnic group in that country.

He needs to realize that no one is denying their heritage by saying they are Somalilander, but just specifying where they're from. Maybe a different name shouldve been adopted by the country that doesn't have colonial roots, but i think Somaliland was chosen to emphasize a return to the pre-union status quo, highlighting Somaliland's historical precedence for independence.

Insha'Allah none of this will matter though, because I believe a Union between the two brotherly countries is around the corner as soon as the south is completely pacified.

^^^you are either somali or not. there is no such thing as somalilander. or puntlander for that matter.

when you say "Somaliland was chosen to emphasize a return to the pre-union status quo"

do you mean colonialism. because that was what was going on before union.

what the hell do people in the north see in Britian. that they have to base everything apon them. land area, official name, and a desperate begging for recognition.

Wadani   

Somali philosopher, by pre union status quo i obviously meant the 4 days somaliland stood as an independent nation.

If Somalia was stripped of international recognition today, would it's leaders not 'beg' the leading nations of the world for recognition in order to provide a better life for their ppl? U think somaliland lobbies for international recognition because its a favourite pastime? Come on man, get real.

Aaliyyah   

what the hell do people in the north see in Britian. that they have to base everything apon them. land area, official name, and a desperate begging for recognition.

People in the North? Be a little more specific next time.

It is only reer waqooyi galbeed that want recognition in the name of "somaliland".Somalis from Awdal and Khaatumo are pro-somaliweyn and don't support secessionists.

am not going to say our independence was taken away i am going to say challenged. when it happened somalis fought for their independence not begg. and we earned it. every country goes through war but for most countries their country men don't chose 4 days over 30 years. but the reality here is somaliand is a name given by colonizers to divide somali-LANDS. no different than owner giving dog a name.

Wadani;842406 wrote:
Somali philosopher, by pre union status quo i obviously meant the 4 days somaliland stood as an independent nation.

If Somalia was stripped of international recognition today, would it's leaders not 'beg' the leading nations of the world for recognition in order to provide a better life for their ppl? U think somaliland lobbies for international recognition because its a favourite pastime? Come on man, get real.

Aaliyyah;842408 wrote:
People in the North? Be a little more specific next time.

It is only reer waqooyi galbeed that want recognition in the name of "somaliland".Somalis from Awdal and Khaatumo are pro-somaliweyn and don't support secessionists.

no disrespect khatumo state and awdal

Nothing wrong the name Somaliland its a historical name even way before colonialism it was called ardSomaal

By the way where did we get the name Somali from it was Soomaal where did we get the i from?

Somali can be an ethnicity or language so we can use it for nationality.

BN   

^^I believe the 'iya' in Somaliya has it's roots in Somalia Italiana....or Italian Somaliland.

Anything other than the Somali Republic would appear to have foreign influence.