Sign in to follow this  
Wiil Cusub

Channel 4 British Somalis are sending their children back to Africa (dhaqan celis)

Juxa   

The part that chews, drinks and smokes weed. The part that drive new cars, live massive villas unsupervised and corrupts local girls

That part was not covered ma ahoo@ JB

Malika is right those kids should learn a lesson and not be bank rolled by parents. In fact the parents their responsibilities bey iska dhaqajiyeen

BN   

It's good to see the young girl giving back. The young men, on the other hand, are living an unearned, upper class lifestyle and I'm sure corrupting a few locals along the way. They should be put to work and earn their keep.

Showqi   

It looks like nothing has changed and the boys had continued their party life style in Hargeysa, besides the law enforcement in Hargeysa is a joke and they can even get a way a lot of stuff easily in Hargeysa than in the UK:

1- In Hargeysa If they break the law they will be given a break or a lenient sentences because they are a British citizens, where as the local kid that made the same mistake will get a harsh punishment.

2- They have money, and money can buy you everything in Africa.

Archdemos;839611 wrote:
i mean for goodness sake i had a curfew of 10pm until the age of 16.

Your parents did a great job for raising you that way. Believe me nothing is fancy about dhafar and staying up everynight. Dhafarku waa meesha ay saqajaanimada iyo ciyaalasuuqnimadu ka bilaabanto.

Does anyone know where i can find some of these official statistics mentioned in the programme. Stats on education and employment rates amongst UK Somalis. Please post links. I remember reading something in the papers a few years ago on how 80% of Somali students were on free school meals. Anyway please share.

Abwaan   

Malika;839602 wrote:
The boys are immatured and seem to be on a long holiday rather a learning process. Kudos! to the girl though.

ps.The parents are still failing them - sending them money so they live it at large isnt going to teach those boys any lessons - sometimes tough love is required, they should make them earn their living with hard work.

Malika, I understand your point but at least they are not rotting in jails. And I also share the concern and ask myself what these young men and women do other than what we just saw on the camera? They could be using or selling drugs...etc. It is for the adminstration to rehabilitate them and train them so that they can help their community and themselves.

Abwaan;839716 wrote:
Malika, I understand your point but at least they are not rotting in jails. And I also share the concern and ask myself what these young men and women do other than what we just saw on the camera? They could be using or selling drugs...etc. It is for the adminstration to rehabilitate them and train them so that they can help their community and themselves.

At least they're not in jail? Is that the standard Somalis have set in today's world? I think Somali families have to learn to let go, we let the losers in our families drag the rest of us down. I have little sympathy for anyone who can't take care of themselves in a Western nation, how are they going to make a positive contribution in a country like Somalia?

Blackflash;839763 wrote:
how are they going to make a positive contribution in a country like Somalia?

you see that's an interesting statement.

the diaspora community is a mix-bag. the people are varied and consist of a mixture of different abilities and experiences. this is seldom discussed and i feel all the resentment directed at the qurbo community is largely justified becos its usually the ones with nothing to contribute who too often glamorous their western-ness, if such a term exists, despite question marks over their level of integration and relative success where they are from. this usually involves a wide range of characteristics and include but are not limited to: dress, language power dynamics, conduct and general mannerism. they are also usually quite conspicuous and often bask in the glory of their 'foreign passports'. using any given opportunity to mention they're not from somaliland.

my friend recently told of those he named 'xagaayaaga?' he said somaliland is full of those who all too often make references to where they are from. eg. in england we had roads, in england things were done differently, in england most people queued at the banks. while all these traits are very important, i feel these reference are often engendered and performed for 'power-dynamic' reasons.

since somaliland successes are incumbent upon all of 'us', i feel no one should come here with sense of 'entitlement' as i've observed in many of my friends. i always preach consciousness, self awareness, positive interaction, respect for local values and customs and consistency at all times.

Malika   

Abwaan aboowe, they are still a burden to their parents and society at large, ama haa kuu jiraan jails or riding new cars in Somalia - koleyba they dont seem to have learned any lesson.

It was a good program, at least this UK channel is reporting the young Somalis are going back for daqan celin and not to join Alshabaab as widely reported in the media.

It is, at least, one positive news regarding the Somalis.

I am wondering how they will effect local kids/ youth. Instead of "dhaqancelis" and hoping that they will change their bad behavior they could be "Dhaqan-bi'is" for locals.

Alpha can you tell us how is interaction between dhaqan-celis and locals.

Somalia   

Wiil Cusub;839789 wrote:

Alpha can you tell us how is interaction between dhaqan-celis and locals.

:D:D:D:D

Aaliyyah   

You can't send an adult who is 20 plus and expect them to change overnight simply because you ship them to Africa.But, the parents are trying and in the video the man said those parents are in despair so I feel for them. Hope something comes out of it althou it is too late.

Discipline your children when they are kids. Don't wake up when they are adults and cry about it.

Abwaan   

Blackflash;839763 wrote:
At least they're not in jail? Is that the standard Somalis have set in today's world? I think Somali families have to learn to let go, we let the losers in our families drag the rest of us down. I have little sympathy for anyone who can't take care of themselves in a Western nation, how are they going to make a positive contribution in a country like Somalia?

We need to be realstic about the Somali issue unless you are one of us from Mars...People make mistakes but they should not be criticized when they try to correct themselves. Your sympathy is yours and you have the right to offer it to anybody but my advise is not to jump onto conclusion.