Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

The Man With The 200lb Tumor

raula   

Che...ala Che..maxaan ku dhahnaa hada..what's this ..remnants of the East-coast flooding :D

Ilaahey hanoo naxaristo...

*****walks to get 3rd cup of caffeine.

raula   

^^^adna iyo criminology & conspiracies naga daa yaqee!

Che..walahi i thought of you when i saw the tele..ala masakiinkii uun baa kuhaaye markiiyoo dhan. Glad you are fine as fiddle :D

Poor man after all that he's still smiling :(

Seeing this makes me appreciate my own health and being able to function physically so much more and not take it for granted.

I don't know why but I find these kinds of documentaries pretty exploitative. It would've been more humane for the hospital to help him without making a big show about it.

Also there's something off about people feeling blessed about their good health at this man's expense.

Wadani   

Grasshopper I agree there is sumthing a little off about that. Humans are selfish by nature and get a sense of relief when they are better off than others, or when others share in their misery. Go on any health board on the internet and u'll see people expressing their delight to learn that they arent alone in their plight, and somehow this is socially acceptable.

But I don't believe it's a blameworthy type of selfishness. The number one imperative of any human being is self-preservation and life in all its unpredictability and precariousness is not much different than the hunger games, so such selfishness is adaptive in it's ability to regulate our mood in a positive direction when faced with adversity shared by others, or when we are spared.

A moment of self-reflection and awareness and appreciation for this man strength in the face of adversity and you managed turn this into something else.

Che -Guevara;838429 wrote:
After seeing this, I really have nothing to complain.

here I see no awareness and appreciation for the man's strength at all - rather YOU feeling lucky that you were spared from this suffering.

wadani, well said - that's a better way to see it....

Exactly my point...for most who watch this it's not about the man's situation. it's about them realizing they really don't have it bad after all.

It shouldn't take the parading around of someone else's suffering to have perspective or make us feel better about our lives. we should be thankful every second of every day and not just after we see someone who has it worse. Ideally. But what wadani said makes sense so I'm just going to drop it.