Sign in to follow this  
burahadeer

Reviving somali names..

Garnaqsi   

My great grandmother had stunning Somali names for all of her daughters. The only one I can recall at the moment is Xulashi. Pity I forgot the rest. I'll ask my aunt. I was so impressed with some of them that I wanted to reserve them for my future daughters. Hehe!

Anyway, I hope these haven't been mentioned:

Iftin

Haldhaa

Barni

Jookho

Asli

Dheeg

Dhamo

Barwaaqo

Tusmo

Qorsho

Bariiso

P. S. The last name is to do with dawn (the twilight before sunrise), not rice as some of you might be led to think. :D

Gheelle.T;838839 wrote:
Baar=Tip, Pointed end of something... Example Isha baarkeeda. Magacyada Somaliga ee Baar la socdo waxaa ka mid ah Baarleex(wiil) Baarliin(gabar); Baar+liin. Liintii fruit aheyd hadde maaha ee waa color (cream ama off white ah). Dadku Baarliin waxay ku khaldaan in tii Magaalada German ahayd tahay. Burahadeer iyo Coofle intaa maxaa ka sax ah?

Baar=tip/top. ... agree

Barliin=Top lemon...that's cute xaaaaaaaaax:cool:

Coofle   

burahadeer;838926 wrote:
Baar=tip/top. ... agree

Barliin=Top lemon...that's cute xaaaaaaaaax:cool:

Sidoo kale, Geed la yidhaa Baar ayaa jira oo ku caan ah magaalada Baladwayne...

Malika   

Burahadeer, I have seen 10yr olds called Sareedo, Idil, Qorsho , Bile etc...the names are still surviving...dont panick..lol

Juxa   

Somali names are back with a bang

Some of my fav names have been mentioned masha Allah. Now I am spoilt for choice as I would never call my child anything but pure Somali name

Ps my great aunt was called BAAR, lovely name

Garnaqsi   

Juxa;839156 wrote:
Now I am spoilt for choice as I would never call my child anything but pure Somali name

Marry me? ninja.gif

Blessed   

faarah22;838859 wrote:
OK. so with all these beautiful somali names why the heck am i hearing zubayr, abdullahi, mohamed, abdi(i can't stand this one), ali etc. somalis please have some imagination and self belief in the goodness of our culture when naming your babies. my favorite names are these three( barre, bile iyo shabeelle).

..because, we're also proud of our Islamic identity and heritage. Abdullah, AbdulRaxman etc are the most beloved names to Allah. Adigu gabadh caruur kuu dhasha doono oo waxaad doonto u bixi, you don't have to worry about the remaining 10million of us. :)

wyre   

faarah22;839203 wrote:
I don't take advice from teenage girls. go back to your house naayaa.

:D:D:D

Skeptic   

Don't you people think that there should be more to names then just a "beautiful" sound and the origin of the name? I thought we named our kids after heroes and heroines ... nowadays you see people searching google for "beautiful" names! ... How low have we come?!

wyre   

Yes, Like Those People Calling There Children

Rihaam

Maahir

Rimas

And So On, Yeah They Are Beautifull Names But I Don't Like It

I'll Call My Son After Ahmed Gurey Insha Allah :D

Skeptic   

by the way, "Somali" is actually not a gene or an "umbrella" tribe or a great-forefather .. it's simply a language spoken by a group of diverse nomads that ended up together in one place on earth ... that group were originally Muslims and came from Muslim countries whether you believe they were Arabs or Persians (both regions (Arabia and Persia)) were Muslim strongholds ...

So we were Muslims before we were Somalis ... If anyone has a problem with ISLAMIC names, its just who we are .. Our fathers who are still alive used the Arabic alphabet to write SOMALI before the 70s when the latin alphabet was introduced ... So either we are predominantly of ARAB origin or of ISLAMIC background .. either way, it only increases us in PRIDE ...

Anyone who is not proud of that fact can do what michael jackson and his likes did (if you can afford)

faarah22   

Youre utterly wrong skeptic, it's completely the other way round. commonsense tells us even somalis are genetically linked, big forehead, thin limbs and the rest. you can keep your islamic names if you want. somalis will soon all return to their beautiful historical names.