Sign in to follow this  
grasshopper

Eaton Centre shooter a loser

Aaliyyah;838343 wrote:
Inanki dhintay alle ha u naxaristo. wiil somaali ah ayuu ahaa. Sabar iyo imaan to his family.

ameen!

This really makes me worry for my brothers' safety in Toronto - one goes to a university right around the corner from this mall. It's hard not to think that he's a bit less safe here because he's somali.

MMA, a mass shooting is not an everday occurance in Toronto. But i think you might be right about the bit about the mall. and then there's the 13-year old shot in the head.

It looks like Somali gangs are at it again. I don't know when this nonsense will end.

Accused Fort McMurray coke dealer targeted in Toronto shooting. Man shot dead in Eaton Centre had survived prior attempts on his life

CBC News

924b7e684abdb07468971d6a3188.jpg

TORONTO, Ont. - The suspected gunman in Saturday's fatal shooting in Toronto's Eaton Centre was under house arrest on another criminal charge and awaiting trial at the time of the shooting.

Christopher Husbands, a 23-year-old father, walked into 52 Division with his lawyer early Monday morning to turn himself in. He has been charged with one count of first-degree murder and six counts of attempted murder in the shooting.

Police said the shooting was not gang-motivated, even though there are indications Husbands and the deceased knew each other and were both part of the same gang.

"There are people who have associations to gangs," said Toronto Police Det.-Sgt. Brian Borg at a press conference on Monday. "Regardless, I do not believe that this is a gang-motivated homicide. I believe there's personal aspects involved."

Afternoon shopping at the Eaton Centre, downtown Toronto's largest and busiest mall, was interrupted Saturday evening when a gunman opened fire in the mall's packed food court and killed one person.

"At the time of the shooting, Mr. Husbands was a charged individual and was on house arrest conditions not to be outside of his residence," said Det.-Sgt. Borg.

Borg said some suspects are determined to ignore court orders despite police efforts to make them comply.

Mayor Rob Ford also addressed the media Monday, thanked police for their hard work and told Torontonians they have no reason to be fearful.

"It's been a terrible couple days, but this is the safest city in the world," he said.

Deputy Chief Jeff McGuire applauded his officers for the way they responded to the shooting, but also thanked shoppers who were in the Eaton Centre at the time and stopped to help others.

"It's a traumatic event for those people, but they're the heroes - the citizens of Toronto," he said.

Ahmed Hassan, 24, of Toronto, was killed instantly and six others were injured in the shooting.

Besides the deceased, six others were hit by gunfire and rushed to hospital with various wounds, many of them considered serious.

One of them was a 13-year-old boy, who was visiting from Port Hope, Ont. He was initially listed in critical condition after withstanding a bullet wound to the head, but he is now listed as in improving condition.

Trinity College School in Port Hope confirmed the 13-year-old boy is a student at the school.

"Representatives from the school have been in touch with the family to offer our support and we are encouraged by the news that our student's condition is now stable," the school said in a statement.

"We respect the family's right and request to privacy; as such, the school will not be releasing the name of the student at this time. We are reaching out to our students, parents and staff to ensure supports are in place to help them deal with this most difficult situation. Our thoughts and prayers are with the student and his family."

A 25-year-old female victim was also injured after receiving a bullet wound to the left leg. She has since been released from hospital.

The same remains true for a man, 25, who was released after suffering a bullet wound to the left leg.

Another 30-year-old woman suffered minor injuries when a bullet grazed her abdomen, and she has also been released from hospital.

One 22-year-old woman who suffered a gunshot wound to the hand refused treatment.

A 23-year-old man is still in hospital after sustaining a bullet wound to the neck and chest. His condition has been described as critical and police say his condition is the worst of the injured parties. Police said he is a member of the same gang as Husbands and the deceased.

A pregnant woman was also injured as she was trampled and pushed as people fled the scene. She has been treated at hospital and both the woman and her unborn baby are doing well, according to police.

"Our investigation clearly suggests that this was a targeted shooting and not a random act of violence against the members of the general public," Det.-Sgt. Borg said.

"Regardless, it was committed in a busy mall, in the heart of the city, with no regard for members of the public simply going about their everyday business."

"Whether this is a gang-motivated shooting has not been definitively determined, but I can say that it is being closely looked at giving that at least one of the victims has known gang associations," Borg added.

As for those witnesses who managed to take any pictures or video, police are asking that they contact the homicide unit so police can review their footage.

"For those members of the public the police have not spoken with, that were present at the Urban Eatery, and have any information that they believe would assist, I urge you to contact the homicide squad directly or 52 Division. If you do not wish to call the police directly, please call Crime Stoppers," Borg said.

"I can assure you that the police have done a tremendous amount of work in a short period of time, and I'm very confident we are going to make an arrest very soon," said Mayor Ford during Sunday's press conference.

You don't really have much to worry about. I lost a close cousin while I was in Edmonton, his choices as well as the choices made by his murderer(s) are what lead to his death. The reason why this is big news is obvious, look at how many bystanders who were injured .They really need stiffer sentencing for people like this, there's a guy who was acquitted of murder living down the street from me, he was arrested again a couple of weeks ago after police found a gun in his home (they also shot his dog).Canada's violent crime rates are much lower than the U.S's,but our recidivism rates are roughly the same, so the social programs are successfully keeping people from becoming criminals, now we just need to lock guys like this up for life.

Aaliyyah   

grasshopper;838386 wrote:
ameen!

This really makes me worry for my brothers' safety in Toronto - one goes to a university right around the corner from this mall. It's hard not to think that he's a bit less safe here because he's somali.

MMA, a mass shooting is not an everday occurance in Toronto. But i think you might be right about the bit about the mall. and then there's the 13-year old shot in the head.

Walaal, inshallah be there for your brothers. Try to always preach them so they dont mix with the wrong crowd. Be a good role model for them. And leave the rest in the hands of Allah swt. All you can is do your best. Waxana aminsanahay wilasha walaalda haday intay kari karaan is uruuriyaan oo umada xum ka fogaadaan in ay inshallah wax xun ku dhici doonin dabcan qofwalba waqti ayuu leeyahay laakin dadaalku wa khasab

Che walaal I have no idea. As the article says it wasn't gang related. But, they also mentioned that he was a member of some gang? so i dont know how that whole thing adds up. Alle ha u naxaristo. Wilasha somaliyeedna ilaahay haso wada hadeeyo, qaar badan oo ka mid ah reerahooda dhib badan ayeey usoo jideene.

Blackflash;838398 wrote:
You don't really have much to worry about. I lost a close cousin while I was in Edmonton, his choices as well as the choices made by his murderer(s) are what lead to his death. The reason why this is big news is obvious, look at how many bystanders who were injured .They really need stiffer sentencing for people like this, there's a guy who was acquitted of murder living down the street from me, he was arrested again a couple of weeks ago after police found a gun in his home (they also shot his dog).Canada's violent crime rates are much lower than the U.S's,but our recidivism rates are roughly the same, so the social programs are successfully keeping people from becoming criminals, now we just need to lock guys like this up for life.

+BOQOL

Aaliyyah   

It looks like Somali gangs are at it again. I don't know when this nonsense will end.

Libaax, It will end when the somali community realizes that their boys are out of control and need some serious help.

Alle ha u naxaristo

Aaliyyah;838414 wrote:
Walaal, inshallah be there for your brothers. Try to always preach them so they dont mix with the wrong crowd. Be a good role model for them. And leave the rest in the hands of Allah swt. All you can is do your best. Waxana aminsanahay wilasha walaalda haday intay kari karaan is uruuriyaan oo umada xum ka fogaadaan in ay inshallah wax xun ku dhici doonin dabcan qofwalba waqti ayuu leeyahay laakin dadaalku wa khasab

Alhamduliah my brothers are excellent human beings - thanks to good parenting and Allah's blessings. But that's not going to help when we've got out of control boys running around the city with guns :S

Very true Blackflash - the justice system needs to toughen up. how the heck was this guy at Eaton Centre when he was supposed to be on house arrest??

Aaliyyah   

^ alhamdulilah. I am happy for your family. It will certainly help for the most part - wixi kalle waa ilaahay qadartiis if someone is at the wrong place at the wrong time. Don't worry too much if you know that they are amazing boys. Alle ha u siyaadiyona.

Yunis   

Sad - I knew the deceased's sister.....Called her toaday to send my condolences., a real tragedy...AUN

Wadani   

Number one mistake somalis made upon arriving to qurbaha was live in government housing, which are the poverty stricken and crime ridden virtual no go zones of any major city. Most of these youth are truly products of their environments. Disengaged parenting + madow role models = truly disastrous consequences such as the untimely demise of this young Somali AUN.