Sign in to follow this  
SAGAL

The Evil of Smoking

SAGAL   

The Evil of Smoking

Smoking was discovered by the Spanish conquistadors in America, about 500 years ago; from Spain, it spread to the rest of Europe, and thence to the Muslim world about 100 years later.

Unfortunately, while the West has long realized the dangers of smoking and attempted to reduce it, in the Muslim lands, it has spread with little or no interference.

Early Muslim scholars, confronted with this obnoxious habit, declared it to be makrooh (detested), comparing it with such things as garlic and onions. This was due to the fact that, at that time, noone was aware of the harmful effects produced by smoking, which include, cancer, heart disease, strokes, miscarriages and premature birth in women and several other diseases.

Since it has become clear that smoking is harmful, it is obligatory upon all Muslims to abstain from it, for Allaah has said: { And do not kill yourselves, Allaah is indeed Merciful to you } (Soorah 4:29), and the Prophet sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam said: "Let there be no harming and no reciprocating harm." (Narrated by Ahmad).

Unfortunately, some Muslims, either deliberately, or through ignorance, have been guilty of misleading Muslims, by repeating the earlier judgements of scholars, that smoking is only disliked, and therefore, not forbidden.

The Messenger of Allaah sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam also said: "The feet of man will not depart, on the Day of Judgement, from his standing before his Lord, until he is asked about five things: His lifetime and how he spent it; his youth and how he used it; his wealth - where he earned it and how he spent it; and how he followed what he knew." (Narrated by At-Tirmizi)

He sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam also said: "Whoever imbibes poison, killing himself with it, will be consuming his poison in the Hell-fire and will dwell therein eternally." (Narrated by Al-Bukhaari)

Smoking is also harmful to the human mind and reason. One only has to observe a smoker who has been deprived of his cigarettes for a while: He is rude, nervous, quick to anger and incapable of concentration. He cannot relax until he has had his "fix". He is affected by insomnia, indigestion, episodes of acute anxiety and so on…

Allaah’s Messenger sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam said: "Anyone who believes in Allaah and the Last Day should not hurt his neighbour." (Narrated by Al-Bukhaari)

He sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam also said: "Verily, the example of a good companion and a bad one is like that of a perfume seller and a blacksmith: As for the perfume seller, he would either give you (some perfume), or you would buy (some) from him, or at least, you would get a good smell from him. And as for the blower of the bellows, you would either get a foul odour from him, or he would burn your clothes." (Narrated by Al-Bukhaari and Muslim)

Smoking is also a waste of one’s wealth on things which offer only harm and no benefit, for Allaah, Most High says: { And do not waste [your wealth] extravagantly. Indeed the squanderers are brethren to the devils are brethren to the devils } (Soorah 17:26-27)

and the Messenger of Allaah sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam said: "Allaah hates for you three things: Gossipping, begging and wasting money." (Narrated by Al-Bukhaari and Muslim).

Smoking involves consuming an evil substance. It has a noxious smell, a horrible taste and is harmful to the body. Allaah says: { He [the Prophet e] who will enjoin upon them the doing of what is right, forbid them from wrongdoing, make lawful to them the good things of life, forbid for them the evil things and lift from them their burdens and the shackles that were [formerly] upon them } (Soorah 7:157)

A smoker is not only a faasid (corrupt person), but also a mufsid (one who spreads corruption): Because of his bad example, his family members, friends and colleagues may also smoke. It is useless to say: "Do as I say, and not as I do." The problem is exacerbated when the smoker affects an air of religious piety or knowledge, because many people will take him as a role model. This multiplies his sins and increases his burden.

Genuinely pious people avoid smoking and smokers, thus the smoker is excluded from the company of the righteous.

Smokers find fasting during the month of Ramadhaan more difficult thatn non-smokers, because they are suffering a form of drug addiction. They rarely fast voluntary fasts since even the obligatory fast is a trial for them.

The prohibition of smoking applies equally to the user, the seller, the manufacturer, the advertiser and all those involved in its production, sale or consumption, for Allaah says: { Coop-erate with one another in righteousness and piety, and do not cooperate with one another in sinning and transgression. And fear Allaah; verily, Allaah is severe in punishment } (Soorah 5:2)

and the Messenger of Allaah sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam said: "Indeed, when Allaah prohibits something, he prohibits eating its price." (Narrated by Ahmad)

So dear brothers and sisters, if you are addicted to this foul habit, you must make your intention firmly to Allaah to stop and seek aid with Him Who hears and sees all, and always answers the supplication of the sincere Believer. He, Most High says: { And when My slaves ask you about Me, [oh, Muhammad, say that] verily, I am near [in hearing, seeing and know-ledge]: I answer the supplication of the one who asks when he asks Me } (Soorah 2:186)

Coloow   

Sagal, so you are basically saying that SMOKING IS XAARAM? That I could end up in hell with murderers, peadophiles, gaalos, munaafuqiin etc!

Sister isn't this a rather drastic thing to say? I thought islam is a religion that tends not to be politically correct. Because the so called research on smoking is driven by political correctness and not enough scientific data!

Brother Nuur, shed some light on this issue which has shaded my lungs!

Coloow   

Opinion..... you raise an important point. I think most scholars give the impression that they are trying intepret devine words, while in the actual sense they pass on decisions!

I am confused!

I for one think Smoking is HARAM

the Holy Quran clearly states that an individual cannot cause themselves any harm that anything

that is done that will cause your own harm is Haram .

Note this is obviously not a direct translation of the Noble Quran

^ High in fat foods should be haram too...or driving at high speeds...cuz they are hazardous to you also....

You can't THINK something is haram.....we already know what is and what isn't..cuz it should all be stated in the Koran!

SAGAL   

Smoking is haram...anything that will harm your body and that would kill you is haram. Smoking is like slow suicide, you know its going to kill you, you know its going give you cancer, so how is it not haram?

SAGAL   

He sallallaahu `alayhi wa sallam also said: "Whoever imbibes poison, killing himself with it, will be consuming his poison in the Hell-fire and will dwell therein eternally." (Narrated by Al-Bukhaari)

This is a proof that smoking is haram, from Al-Bukhaari.

Coloow   

In essence; smoking is xaaram; anyone who smokes is a sinner......he/she would burn in hell!

Driving at 200KM/hour is xaaram ; you end up in hell!

Is it that simple??????

Khayr   

Salaamz,

Entrepeneur, walaal and Opinionated

the general fiqh rule in Islam has already been reitrated to you already umptin' times.

You don't like it b/c it might conflict with your personal interest but the true litmus test for a muslim is when something that the Deen says comes into conflict to what they think or their PERSONAL OPINION, emotions, or what their family is telling them to do and you are forced to chose btwn ISLAM & YOURSELF

If u think that the deen agrees with everything that u belief in and value, then WAKE UPPPPPP TO REALITY!!!

Many muslims choose to ignore that Smoking is HARAM b/c they like it too much and are too addicted to it.

and Yes, if u are driving @200km on a normal higway and their are plenty of cars, u are putting your life on the LINE.

IMAN IS ALL ABOUT FIGHTING YOUR OWN DESIRES AND LIKES. IF YOU WHERE NOT TESTED BY ALLAH IN YOUR DEEN AND BASIC VALUES AND BELIEVES, HOW ELSE DO YOU EXPECT TO GET TO JANNA.

Coloow   

Kheyre, saaxib, I never thought that you could be so dogmatic. The quran and the hadith stipulate the items, things, actions etc that are xaraam. Although I agree that common sense prevails when it comes to new phenomena (including the use of cig)- and which renders it xaaram, what I am puzzled at is people jumping to conclusions.

I have asked several muslim scholars about this issue and most of them are divided as to the penalty it carries. AND MIND YOU ALMOST ALL OF THEM ARE NON_SMOKERS!

A majority of them take a prudent position and here is their message; "Anything that harms the individual, society etc could be xaaram". "There is no question that it is kiraahe, but only allah judges- and therefore, we can not equate tobacco with pork, alcohol" etc.

Ok, if smoking is haraam..using the same argument as sagal and khayr..then subaag should be haraam, too! Do you agree?

Why do I say this...because large amounts of it will kill you...if you eat a little everyday..it will add up in the end..and you will have a big old heart attack.

Same thing with smoking, little of it won't kill you..but it will add up in the end. So khayr, what do you have to say about this?

Oh, and don't let your desires get in the way! **this would mean no more cajeelo :)***

Coloow   

Does smoking cause cancer? Although it is politically correct and socially accepted that smoking causes cancer and coronary diseases, scientists have ONLY found a relationship between smoking and the prospensity to suffer from cancer.

There is a difference between CAUSE and RELATIONSHIP!

My point is that the culuma should be careful when expressing a religious view. Some issues are not as clear as they appear to be.

ZOLA   

LOL@Opin...u got a good point right there galfriend.....subag and all other foods high in carbs cause many deadly diseases....

A.A