Sign in to follow this  
Abtigiis

The “Calaf” Scapegoat

Abtigiis   

It has no colour, timeline, weight or meaning. No one has empirically confirmed its existence or relevance. But it is pervasive, comes in all vernaculars and cools hearts, soothes raging minds. It is called Calaf. The closest English word is “fate” or “destiny”, if my Victorian-age English is to be trusted. When men break pledges and promises, when girls in far places get impatient and take other men, they all say it is Calaf. “Calaf baa na kala geeyey”, “calaf ayaanaan isku lahayn” etc. It is the most tolerated scapegoat in the Somali peninsula.

I recall the instances I, myself, have suffered because of it or rejoiced because of it. When Ifraax jilted me, after I waited for four years, for that pot-bellied man from Canada, it was not because she thought I will never earn as much as he had. It was calaf, it was not greed. When I married cudbi, four nights after Ruun made me swear in the name of Allah holding the quran that I will marry her, it was not betrayal, because Cudbi had longer neck and fairer colour than Ruun. It was calaf!

Only this week, when Jaamac married a hot young girl, on top of his previous three, he said it was calaf; not the result of an animalistic bahaviour that makes him sleep with whoever he desires under nuptial pretentions.

It is a word that expiates infidelity, doublespeak, scheming and opportunism. It is a very important word, one that lessens the pain of rejection and the guilt of unfaithfulness.

NGONGE   

^^ You're probably correct about it meaning 'fate' or 'destiny' but the English, lacking a word that exactly describes the meaning of Calaf have always tended to adopt the popular urdu word 'kismet' (which is, by the way, from the Arabic: qisma).

At any rate, I doubt if you could go much further with this discussion because, in the end, when you're lost for a proper explanation for all the illogical reasons connected to this topic, you'll only end up saying naga daaya waa iska calaf. :D

Abtigiis   

kismet. Thanks Ngonge for enriching my vocabulary. So, the scapegoat is not a sole somali franchise? :D

In a way, with somalis, it is the first things you say when you know the flirting will go nowhere. Hadaan calaf isku leenahay, waan is helaynaa. it usually means, until I find someone better inoo wad sheekada. For example, if you are deployed to a tuulo for flood response and have to stay there for over two months, you will find a village beauty. Nervous about your imminent departure, she will most likely ask "maxaa qorshe ah?". The seasoned ones used to relply" qorsheeye waa ilaahay, inagu waynu iska nool nahay uun, he knows what will happen". :D

P.s. I checked the meaning of Kismet. Instead of wasting words, they could simply have said "like the way Chelsea won the champions league cup this year". It was kismet. Messi missing a penalty? Robben missing it too? Holding Barca with 10 men? All those shots missed by Bayern?

NGONGE   

Heh@qorsheeye waa ilaahay, inagu waynu iska nool nahay uun :D

Reminds me of Doris Day and her famous song. Wonder which of the two guys is the more cunning!

When I was young and fell in love

I asked my sweetheart, what lies ahead

Will we have rainbows day after day

Here is what my sweatheart said....

Que Sara, Sara..whatever will be will be..the future's not ours to see..Que Sara..Sara..what will be, will be..:D :D

LoL@calaf. Abigiis, you just killed the word for me (along with reminding me of a painful moment when it was used to justify pure opportunism).

NGONGE   

By the way, did you know that the word 'calaf' means hay in Arabic (the stuff found in farms, not the popular greating). :D

Heh@Serenity..A&T thinks you're talking about marriage but I know it's simply a sad reminder of the time when you got beaten to the last dirac in the bayic/moshtar islaan's collection. :P

Carafaat   

I never understood that word, calaf. It has a passive charge. As if you have no influence on your situation. Where the english word destiny has an active underlying meaning. One seeks destiny rather then wait for it.

Coofle   

Bilaa calaykum...Don't expose my most eloquent statement to denote that this relationship is not going on the right lane "Guur waa calaf period!" .. to the experienced ladies it is harsh-sounding but for the naive nubile girls they just don't get the signal...

Juxa   

Missing out on last slice of lemon drizzle cake! Indeed it was serenity's calaf to eat it

Blessed   

Sahra Ilays ayaa meel dhigtay calafkan la sheego markay tidhi, calafkiiyo nasibkuna nafta wey ogsoontee waanu noolnahee nasrigaga sugo

Kamaavi   

^Sidoo kale sahra Ileys intay horseed band(90s in Awbare) ku jirtay sow ma qaadi jirin..heestii aheyd...wad iyo calaf..lalala..wad iyo calaf ..dhindhin..wad iyo calaf waxaana aheyn jeceylkeena ka weyn. :P

Anu calafka waxan ooga hadhay markuu Beer Dilaacdhe lahaa...Risqi eebe kuu diidey kaa durugsanaa, nimuu duunyo siinaayo deeqi u dhawaa...taas waxaa daliil u ah haadka samada duuliyo diinkuba u siman calaf.

Showqi   

Well, Calaf means wixii ilaahay kuu qoray waad heli oo cid kaa hor istaageysaa ma jirto. Laakiin hadii aanu ilaahay kuu qorin Adeer cut your losses intay goori goor tahay dabadeetana move on. Life is too short for chasing something for 50 years......