Sign in to follow this  
OdaySomali

Turkish Ambassador: There is as much you [Somalis] can do for us, as we can do for you.

At the end of all this . We know Somalis ruined the best opportunity for them self .

We can be strong players in east Africa all the way to central Africa .

But we are people who are surrounded by folks who hate to see us take thier place. I don't think Kenya or Ethiopia will ever allow Somalia

to become stable nation with stronge economy.

But before we even deal with ethiopia or Kenya , it's more likely we will slowly turned into million mini states. Smaller we get the lesser power we have.

NGONGE   

A pipe dream. Sooner or later, they'll drive Turkey away with their infights and petty arguments.

Marksman   

Turkish Red Crescent to Launch Urban Renewal Project in Mogadishu

Monday, 7 May 2012

Turkish Red Crescent Society is set to launch an urban renewal project in Mogadishu, the Somali capital, and an agreement has been penned with Somali government to that end, the society's head said Saturday.

Ahmet Lutfi Akar said Istanbul Metropolitan Municipality would offer technical support in the renewal project as a solution partner of the Turkish Red Crescent.

"A fleet of heavy construction equipment would arrive in Mogadishu in June. We have a budget of 100 million USD, all of which is dedicated to this project. We will rebuild Mogadishu," Akar said.

Compare that with UK + USA - Only 9.5 million dollars

UK and U.S. Contribute $9.5 million to Mogadishu Stabilization Plan

3 MAY 2012

28 February 2012 | Mogadishu , Somalia

Today Minister Abdisamad Maalim Mohamud of the Somalia Ministry of Interior and National Security officially launched the Mogadishu Stabilization Plan, a partnership with the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) and the U.K. Department for International Development (DFID) supported by $9.5 million of U.S. and UK funding.

Transition Federal Government (TFG) officials from the national, regional, and district authorities have been working with peace committees from each of the 16 Districts of Mogadishu to design in-kind community projects. Supported by USAID and DFID and called by Somalis “Dan Guud” (“In the public interest”), the projects are designed to promote stabilization and reconciliation.

These projects are part of USAID, DFID, and TFG cooperation on stabilization activities, to promote district level consensus building through the development of district-level, quick-impact projects. Activities are chosen by District Peace Committees and community members through consensus, and may include road clearance, street lighting, building rehabilitation, or community events.

“We see the Dan Guud Program as the most ambitious project to be implemented in Mogadishu in recent times… The Somali government is encouraged by the efforts of USAID and DFID and it is grateful for the funds. We hope to see this type of programming outside of Mogadishu in the near future,” said Minister Abdisamad Maalim Mohamud.

“On behalf of the people of Mogadishu, I’d like to sincerely thank USAID and DFID for the different projects it is funding in districts of Mogadishu. I’m sure that Dan Guud… will help the city rise from the ashes,” said the Mayor of Mogadishu, Mohamud Ahmed Nur.

In partnership with the Somali people, USAID has provided more than $300 million in assistance since 2011 to support humanitarian needs, peace, and recovery. DFID’s aid programme in Somalia plans to spend an average of £69 million per year until 2015, promoting longer-term stability and directly improving the lives of poor Somalis. Both nations believe in the Somali people and the future of stability in Somalia.

This is a great thread.

Turks are for real in doing what they say they are doing.

ps. cynics need not to comment on the relationship between the two sisterly countries :D

nuune;827280 wrote:
I can list more projects

That was a very interesting read! List these other projects sxb... even if you just list their "titles". Gives me food for thought.

Chimera   

nuune;827280 wrote:
There has to be a vision for everything, lets say a vision for every project that would be developed, example as in Vision for Transport that would be achieved by the year 2025, we can say
Transport 2025
, the list for this project would include:

- Re-establishment of Somali Airlines, going green for low emission planes, that means buying or leasing newly built planes that are ONLY within 5 years old, by doing this, you are saving HUGE amount on fuel consumption, at the end of the project, the planes used by Somalia Airlines would number 150 aircraft.

The airline would be a major player in Somalia, flying to every region in the country, and internationally, adding multiple destinations in every year would bring the destinations that the airline flies to every continent around the world.

This project when completed can create up to 50,000 thousand jobs

- Rail Network System, pretty much easy, is a project that can take about 5-8 years to build, maximum 10 years to connect the whole Somalia, this would be achieved before 2025 Transport Vision, if the project gets started in two years time.

This project when completed would create half a million jobs, and 100,000 jobs during the construction period.

- A healthcare system, major hospitals and medical clinics in ever city and town, this project would create one million jobs when completed by 2025, it is a huge project.

I can list more projects, but just summarizing, the unemployment rate would be as low as 3% by 2025 when we add agriculture projects, construction projects, marine projects, road transport project and other projects, the unemployment figure would be less than 1%, even the West would be jealous of this achievement, amazing that Somalia would seek foreign workers to work in the country, amazing.

One thing to everyone, don't lose hope for Somalia, it can and will get better in time, when that time comes, contribute and participate, invest, give advise and share you knowledge.

Chimera,
please create a thread that we can share our vision for Somalia, where we can list everything, you are good at this.

No brother, I learned my lesson from 2006 when I thought my country was finally back on the map, but instead of peace my most vile and horrible nightmares happened in the last 6 years. I'm observing the situation with caution and restrained optimism. Let's get past August, and see how the situation is then.

Great points by the Turkish diplomat lady in Oslo, I very much like too Chimera optimism or Nuune patriotic ambitions;

we all tend to admire and wish to reproduce Paris or Seoul like towers and gadgets or other splendid constructions if not systems as diaspora.

Lately however, I'm much more into public health, equality and environmental conservation;

ie, how to nationalise and regulate strategic industries (telecom, utilities etc), implement a tax system oblivious to elites manipulations and create jobs and security before profits (crops, apiculture, urban farming, appropriate technology, labor-intensive, essential industries).

All that will ensure decent vital services for the poors and disenfranchised as well as greater harmony or loyalty to the system without compromising the environment and pouring cement all over the place with only few well-offs enjoying beaches or the calming, unspoilt nature (eg princes and other foreigners are blocking access to our childhood beaches in Djibouti while the masses see only more inflation and pollution).

The models here are Cuba, Kerala or the Nordic socio-economic system in some aspects and as more and more experts recognise it now too simplistic GDP figures or other indicators will be neglected in favor of real equality, sustainability and popular well-being;

very much can be accomplished with very low levels of GDP and levels similar to that of "poor" Cuba may even seem extravagant for meeting those basic needs if elites and other foreign obstructionism could be resisted.

Inshallah, will post about it as I'm perfecting and reading on some data, few possible limits or objections.

Chimera   

"They are telling us we are new to Somalia when we were dealing with Somalis before Columbus founded America” - Turkish diplomat

Chimera   

NGONGE;827412 wrote:
A pipe dream. Sooner or later, they'll drive Turkey away with their infights and petty arguments.

Cracked-ball.jpg

There is a crack in your Crystal ball, the Turks are still here. :D

Mogadishu Mogadishu Mogadishu Mogadishu Mogadishu Mogadishu Mogadishu Mogadishu Mogadishu Mogadishu Mogadishu Mogadishu Mogadishu Mogadishu Mogadishu Mogadishu Mogadishu Mogadishu Mogadishu Mogadishu

Mogadishu Mogadishu Mogadishu Mogadishu Mogadishu Mogadishu Mogadishu Mogadishu Mogadishu

Mogadishu Mogadishu Mogadishu Mogadishu Mogadishu Mogadishu Mogadishu