Blessed

Is Muslim fashion finally 'on trend'?

Blessed   

I'm not really a follower of trends but it is becoming easier to find long dresses, skirts and beginning to realise that most of my recent khimaar purchases are from the shops on the high street, so glad that they are finally catering to our needs as consumers.

Chohan saw a gap in a market flooded with polyester abayas and over-embellished abayas that are impractical and only suitable for special occasions. "Young, fashionable Muslims are struggling to buy clothes from the Western, high-street shops, because of the unsuitable hemlines and necklines, and they resort to wearing layers, which are very hot and uncomfortable in the summer. So that is why I created Barjis, to fill this gap, with practical, high-quality, modest and fashionable day and evening wear for the busy, modern woman." Her autumn/winter collection features abayas with peter pan collars and dresses designed to be worn over trousers.

Sadly, her clothes are ugly.

Read full article and interesting discussion here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/fashion/fashion-blog/2012/apr/26/muslim-fashion-on-trend?INTCMP=SRCH

Taleexi   

Marmar baa waxaa ku qabanaya dib iskuulka ugu noqo fashion-ka ku takhasus ... haweenka England ma sidan bay u lebistaan?

Blessed   

^LOL. Waliba kuwani waa kuwa fahionable ka ah, most of them waxay xidhaan abu cumar. Haye, adigu maxaad u xidhi lahayd? Guntiino iyo dirac? :D

I love Malaysian and Indonesian hijab styles, so simple and elegant. Turkish hijabis are very sophisticated too, though I don't really like their bright, satin khimaars.

Mario B   

^^No, it's just long dresses [maxi dress] and skirts is in, this season, next year it will be micro-skirts and ...:D

Aaliyyah   

Blessed I would have to agree with you. It is becoming a trend. I dont know abt skirts i dnt buy any skirts from the mall..but dresses and hijaabs. Yes. tan kale waxaan ka yaaba dadka tights kaliya suqa ku mara thats what you mean by "abu cumar" right.. Gabdho badan oo somaliyeedna ku daydaan. waa qaabdaro. Speaking abt hijaabs..I tried the turkish style, it didnt work out from me. Maybe if I meet someone who can actually teach me lol..

Taleex, lol ma waxaad ka hadli umadoo dhan? mise musliminta waa suaale?

chubacka   

*Blessed;824971 wrote:
I'm not really a follower of trends but it is becoming easier to find long dresses, skirts and beginning to realise that most of my recent khimaar purchases are from the shops on the high street, so glad that they are finally catering to our needs as consumers
[/i]

Sadly, her clothes are ugly.

Read full article and interesting discussion here:

and s*upidly overpriced.

Aaliyyah   

lol it is ugly to us maybe cuz we want trendy abayas lol...they have nice baggy abayas from what I saw from that link. Thats real islam ee soo gata in aad marada ku dhex dhacdid waa waxa lo baahanyahay mashallah.. :)...

salaam

Blessed   

Aaliyah, I was looking at this:

Barjis-Chohans-AW-2012-006.jpg

Just went to her website and for that ridiculous price, it looks very tacky. Yes, living in Dubai had spoiled me. LOL. An abaaya can be wide and still have some structure and flare to it.

Malika   

^none of those look appealing - one can find maxi dresses for a fraction of her prices, jazz it up with a nice long cardigan, hijaab and voila! one is modestly dressed..

Speaking of trends - I love the colourful bright colours that are in now.

Aaliyyah   

Blessed, I was teasing you. Lol THEY ARE ugly true.

You are right abayas can be baggy and yet stylish.

salaam

Juxa   

The market may cater for us but it comes with high price. A simple dress starts from £50 onwards, unless you want to drape yourself with colors that will blind you

i dont wear much of cabayah unless it is for tacsi or ramadanka.

Blessed have you tried having maxi dresses made?

Aaliyyah   

looooooooool@ i dont wear much of abaya unless it is for tacsi.... bisinka...

what do you prefer to wear?

up till age 18 i always wore skirts for the most part. In fact i started wearing skirts when I was like 8...then started wearing pants when i was like 12 till 15 then started wearing skirts..and After I started uni at 18 i guess seeing ALL the msa girls all in abaya AND YET looking all stylish got me interested to wear abaya..and that was it. I am still wearing abaya. The only occasion i dont wear abaya is weddings, and couple of my friends actually wear it to the weddings (and noting how i struggle with diracs I might as well wear it to wedding too inkasto baryahan aan bartay sida tafta lo galiyo lol)

salaam

p.s I have couple of dresses but i dont find them as modest as abaya..bt i do wear them sometimes.

Blessed   

^I know what you mean. I like Abaaya because you can wear it on it's own and I don't like to layer too much, if I can avoid it. Arabs kind of put me off it it, abaaya culture in the ME is very different to abaaya culture in the west, so I prefer dresses. I find A-line cuts are modest for me and buy a size bigger if needed.

Juxa,

To be honest, I didn't have problems finding nice, modest dresses until recently.At the moment, I love the Inayah Collection but I'm sure I could come up with similar styles, not as loud and cheaper. http://inaya.we-convey.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=65_66

Juxa   

Aaliyah i wear dresses, maxi like, long, fitted at the top and loose inta hoose oo dhan. I tend to wear one color dresses or some color but not too wild as i need to wear for work. I prefer sleeveless so i can wear with jacket, blazer or cardigan. weekends i like skirts so you can dress down

Blessed i saw the website. have you bought anything from them yet?

Aaliyyah   

^ Yeah I never bought a dress that had a sleeve ever. They were all sleeveless looks nice on a cardigan or Jacket.