Sign in to follow this  
OdaySomali

The encroaching sand dunes of Somalia

I want to make you all aware of the encroaching sand dunes.

These sand dunes are causing the desertification of entire swathes of land. If you look at google earth/maps satellite images you will see KM's upon KM's of land that has become pure desert aka sand dunes - as far 70km inland from the coast.

These sand dunes stretch from around Hobyo to as far South as Barawe.

3409566123_80a421b9bc.jpg

Merca

Slow-motion%20disaster,%20thousand%20of%

natgeo04p1.jpg

Coastal towns and Villages being engulfed and destoyed and rendered uninhabitable. Entire cities are udner threat and its one of the reasons Hobyo which was once a fairly large town has declined. Its seriously under threat if not too late alreadt. :(

3610644.jpg

Somalis have neglected themselves for the past two decades, there's not much they can do for the land they've been bestowed with. They need to learn how to feed themselves again before they can begin to address environmental concerns. The irony is it may be too late when that day dawns, if ever. I'm beginning to lose hope in Somalis and their constant small mindedness. We're a petty people who constantly fail to see the bigger picture, the sad thing is i think we are yet to reach rock bottom.

Blessed   

Archdemos;824315 wrote:
Somalis have neglected themselves for the past two decades, there's not much they can do for the land they've been bestowed with. They need to learn how to feed themselves again before they can begin to address environmental concerns. The irony is it may be too late when that day dawns, if ever. I'm beginning to lose hope in Somalis and their constant small mindedness. We're a petty people who constantly fail to see the bigger picture, the sad thing is i think we are yet to reach rock bottom.

Well said, we can't even begin to address the endless list of environmental issues, until we resolve the abuse of human life...

On the bright side, Dune Bashing could become a national past time in the future, the Arabs are making mad money through it.

Warmoog   

It is generally the lack of rain fall, droughts, climate change, and man-made factors like charcoal production that exacerbate the problem most. Without plant roots to keep the soil in place, desertification spreads. Coal from Somalia ended up in my house once, and the realization really disturbed me.

Some of the beautiful plant species that used to be very common are dying out too. A vast number of galool trees were destroyed by charcoal production. In the coastal Guban areas of the north, where Berbera is located, the qudhac trees have also been found to be among those in decline.

Archdemos, sometimes I have those same thoughts you expressed, but I take solace in the knowledge that there is Wisdom in everything Allah Wills. If we put our hopes in people, we are bound to be disappointed. But when we put our hopes in Allah, that can never happen. It then becomes easier to take everything in stride without becoming demoralized. We can also look at the glass as half-full as opposed to half-empty. Given the harsh environment Somalis inhabit and the self-destructive cycles they have been wallowing in for so long, it is a miracle they are not extinct.

Archdemos;824315 wrote:
I'm beginning to lose hope in Somalis and their constant small mindedness. We're a petty people who constantly fail to see the bigger picture, the sad thing is i think we are yet to reach rock bottom.

what nonsense!