Sign in to follow this  
Juxa

Your Immigration Queries

AYOUB   

Juxa

First, Greatings of Peace :)

My query could is adoption/reunion. I want to bring a 14-yr old niece from across the pond. She lives with her mother and I have been told adoption option is very long-winded. I made a phone enquiry to someone who knows a bit about these issues and they suggested becoming legal guardian first might be better option, but they were not sure if the US was among a list of countries UK had some sort of "legal guardian" agreement with. Please help if I made sense.

Juxa   

^^wsalaam

Are you in the US? is your niece in the UK?

Adoption is indeed very complicated in the UK and your suitibility has to be vetted by social services. You have to go through rigid process first. If adoption is what you after, you need a family solicitor. If you are after family reunion is another sheeko altogether.

AYOUB   

^ I'm in the UK and she is the US.

What I need help with is; how do I become the legal guardian and would that automatically give her the right to come over here?

Juxa   

To become a legal guardian you must first make an application for guardianship in the UK court, from intaan ogahay you need to show why you are making the application, what makes you appropriate parent/guardian, contact with the child and natural parents etc. Most importantly there must be a good/valid reason why you are taking over... and consent from the natural parents or whoever has custody of the child

i cant ask you too many questions as most are of personal nature....

now the second part is the immigration part, once you have been granted legal guardianship, getting your niece here wont be too difficult.

let me know if you need someone to go through the legal guardianship with you, i will get someone to ring you.

Thanks for doing this Juxa,

I have one question, can someone who came to UK on a spouse visa apply for a UK travel document? My friend was denied one, he's been here for about three months and wants to leave, he's a business man and have something going on in back mother continent Africa, is there a way can get that or leave the country and get back later for the big Sharci.

Juxa   

^Ayoub you are welcome

Qandalawi, in the first instance UK Border Agency will refuse applications for travel document. Now your friend markii uu imaanayay ma waxu ku yimid warqad kaliya, with the visa stamped on or was the visa stamped on say Somali passport. If the latter, then no he wont get a travel document.

If however he came with warqad kaliya, he can, he must show he wont be able to get Somali passport, ie safaarad malahan in the UK or waxan ahay stateless person etc