Sign in to follow this  
SayidSomal

Somali with Tourette Syndrome

Firstly, Alxamdullilaah for our health. Secondly, Tourette Syndrome is no joke.

I recently met a young brother with this syndrome, who had uncontrollable ticks on the face and he would suddenly make clicking/clucking noise and then shout out profanities. Although the ticks were more frequent then the profanity bouts, he got on with his life as best as one can under this disease.

The one thing that saddened me the most among all his difficulties was the fact that he felt unable to go into any masjid and pray after couple of unpleasant experiences.

I got me thinking about all those poor souls in Somalia who are ostracized as either being crazies or possessed.

I never met Somali with Tourette syndrome or any person with this ailment, but I watched a couple of documenteries about it. From what I remember in one the documenteries, a yound lady's aspiring music career was ruined by this desease and she has no dropout of college because it.

Ilaahay ha u sahlo wiilka aad la kulantay.... I can't imagine the impact this could have on his life.

Juxa   

So sad to hear it.

As a community we have failed people with disabilities often labelling them and subjecting to a life time of isolation

SubXannallah! I don't think it's just the Somali community that isolate anyone with disabilities I think it's a common practice among Muslims. I shouldn't generalise but this the sort of feedback I have come across.

We should all be grateful for our health. Alhamdulilaah.