Sign in to follow this  
Blessed

Farhiya Abdi First Somali To Be Drafted Into The WNBA.

Wadani   

*Blessed;821064 wrote:
Chimera, I agree bro. Being a marginalised community, we do need to work together on many fronts, sadly not everyone agrees.

Interesting, could you explain, please?

Well I no longer view things as black and white. I now look at situational contexts and circumstances to inform my position on things. But this opens the door to a lot of grey area, where one needs to tread carefully through the many complexities and nuances of an issue to arrive at a conclusion, and as a result ive found myself more accepting or lets say tolerant of different things i used to be uncomfortable with. This thread is a good example, because the old me would be like this is totally haraam and that this girl is a bad role model for Somali girls. But now I look at it, and im like wow, her hard work and dedication can motivate so many youth to improve themselves, and that she couldve been doing things much more haraam given her options in the West.

But despite all that I would still disapprove if my sisters or daughters wanted to play in the WNBA lol, so i geuss im still pretty conservative.

Blessed   

Thanks for explaining, Wadani. I could sort of relate to what you're saying, though I often perplexed by the contradictory nature of Somali Islam.

Aaliyyah   

Wadani you are not the only one, im on the same page. I wouldnt approve if my sisters daughters(inshallah wen i get em) or any of my good friends to follow that path. I would strongly disapprove it and try to advice them. But, everyone at the end decides what they are gonna do with their lives and like you pointed out there are girls her age who do things that are far worse. So good luck to her.

salaam

SubhanAllah, how fast are we moving away from Islam??? If this is happening to the first generation of muslims in the west, what of the next generation?

I remember a time not too long ago, perhaps 5 years or so,when the somali women were the best with their hijab and a role model for other muslim women. To be honest its after seeing my sisters being honest with the commandment of Allah that I decided to ditch my rubbish arab style hijab for the REAL hijab, that only the somalis were proud to wear.

Its not so long ago that somali families were strict with their daughters choice of clothing, never allowing her to exit the house with pants, showing her figure, trying to protect their daughters from the path of jahanam.

Wallah Im not proud of our sister. Im not proud, and I dont wish her 'luck'. Wishing her luck for what??? Exposing her body and disobeying Allah??? Whats to become of her if she has lost her identitiy, because once someone loses their islamic attire, its VERY easy to fall into bigger, darker sins.

May Allah guide her, and guide us to the right path, a path of obediance none to Him alone.