Carafaat

The Somalia-Somaliland talks Thread

Somaliland sets preconditions ahead of talks with Somalia

66 SharesFacebookFacebook messengerTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInTelegramEmail

Wednesday December 7, 2022

Hargeisa (HOL) - Somaliland President Muse Bihi Abdi met with delegations from Norway and Turkey in Hargeisa on Tuesday to discuss the resumption of talks between Somalia's federal government and the breakaway region of Somaliland.

President Bihi reportedly affirmed that his government was ready for meaningful discussions but set seven preconditions before starting the two-sided talks.

advertisements

President Bihi told the delegation that all previous agreements should be implemented if Somalia was sincere in relaunching talks, including finding an international mediation mechanism to guarantee the agreed provisions.

He suggested that an independent secretariat be established to manage the meetings.

President Bihi said there is a need for an agenda that clearly defines the conflict between the two sides to discuss the primary issues while laying the groundwork for meaningful dialogue.

On Monday, Somali President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud met with Turkish Ambassador Mehmet Yilmaz, Norwegian chargé d’affaires Haakon Svane, Turkey's Special Representative Aykut Kumbarolu, and Norway's Special Representative, Ms. Heidi Johansen in Mogadishu.

President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud welcomed the international diplomats for their commitment to supporting the restoration of Somalia and Somaliland talks.

President Mohamud said that his administration's foreign policy doctrine, “ Somalia at peace with itself and the World," is aligned to readdresses the decades-long Somaliland issue.

Somaliland first agreed to talk with the Somali government in 2012, but after several years of talks, no concrete results were achieved. Somaliland accused the former government of Somalia of withdrawing from the agreement.

• Thanks 1

Arafaat   

I think these outcomes are overall positive, and under point 6 it seems that one has committed to resolving the conflicts peacefully. Nevertheless the elephant in the room remains the positions of SSC-Khaatuma in the overall equation. 

Illyria   
1 hour ago, Arafaat said:

I think these outcomes are overall positive, and under point 6 it seems that one has committed to resolving the conflicts peacefully. Nevertheless the elephant in the room remains the positions of SSC-Khaatuma in the overall equation. 

How do you read point 5?

Arafaat   
On 12/29/2023 at 11:40 PM, Illyria said:

How do you read point 5?

I read that as coordination and information exchange on main security related points of concern, e.g. Red Sea, AS. But I could be wrong, what did you make of it?  

Illyria   
1 hour ago, Arafaat said:

I read that as coordination and information exchange on main security related points of concern, e.g. Red Sea, AS. But I could be wrong, what did you make of it?  

I think it was intended for SSC, Awdal and GXJS, but then again, it does not matter, as political leaders signed a Trusteeship agreement under the Brits. Revisit of the Bevan plan except this time, it is only for 2 of the 5 colonies.