Sign in to follow this  
Sayyid

What or who are modern muslims?

Sayyid   

Lately, I've noticed a new trend in which people more specifically so-called "muslims", who were advocating for a "reformation" to take place within Islaam, so that it becomes more "compatible" with western and liberal attitudes and way of life!

The shouts are getting louder and louder everytime, because they demand a "debate" to take within the muslim world in order to reform the religion of Allaah the exalted because they argue that it has passed it "sell by date" and that it needs "serious" reform in order to move closer to technology and something close to the western way of thinking of liberalism etc.

We have witnessed "modern" muslims saying that females can lead men in prayers and give the friday sermon because they're equal. It was a couple of month when a so-called afro-american "muslim" theologist lead a joint "muslim" congregation of male and females in a "church" in New York City, heavily guarded by police.

Also Hassan Al-Turabai the guy who lead the islamic revolution in Sudan came out and said that muslim females can actually lead men in prayer and become an Imaam, on the other hand we have people today who say what is "this" all about and why are muslims so angry about a couple of cartoons depicting the prophet of Islaam peace be upon him and to add insult to injury they portrayed the prophet peace be upon him in the picturers as a "terrorist", which was very very offensive, outrageous and insulting to muslims!

Where can muslim go from here! People who are being intoxicated by false beliefs and brainwashed by an artificial life of happyness and fullfilment are at the forefront of this loud shouts of "reforming" islaam. They were mostly recruited in this way of thinking by "other" so-called muslims who are would-be academics and say that they know what is "good" in the long-term for the muslim ummah in this world.

I want this people, who are members of SOl to come out and say what they belief so that we can take a stance regarding "how" to approach them. If they think that "reform" is a way forward to explain how they would go about it and what they would "reform" in order to modernise and make Islam compatible with the western notion of democracy and liberalism!

I'd also like to know what they find unattractive about this religion of ours because clearly something is wrong if they want to "reform" it, whether it might be aspects of the religion or the whole religion itself!

I also urge this people to come out of their closet and say in front of "us" what they want to reform about Islam and how they would go about it in order to make it more "modern" and compatibale with modern way of life and living.

By writing this I thought particularily about certain individuals who were advocating for such a "debate" and "reformation" within Islam.

1.Some people are saying praying five times is difficult nowadays although it is A MUST..they need to make it five but pray the time they want..That is not acceptable

2. Some say there are many small small issues affecting the muslims daily which I think someone can adjust in ISLAM..

a. women are covered..they want women to be uncovered and to display themselves and have the freedom to make their way of life without any consultations from anyone , even their husbands and family members.This covering is a must.It is a command which comes from ALLAH.so there is no change.

b. They want people to stop taking ablution(weeysa) so that you don't need to go to the nearest mosque and start splashing water on yourself getting wet and so on..I think this contradicts the Prayer norms.It is part of the prayers.

c. Many would argue that listening to music/watching filthy from the internet and sending e-cards are ways of interaction and life..Although it is accepted to do many like sending e-cards to your loved ones and so on..We must know the islamic interpretations of listening to music and watching indecent materials from the web.Help us with a clear interpretations.

d. Many may also accept reading the Quraan is advised so much as almost getting to be a must.The holy quraan was sent so that you keep refreshing your ideas and ideals for ISLAM..knowing ALLAH..reciting words of Allah and so on..Many think it is boring to read the quraan and better listen to Snoop album "Drop like it is hot"..I think it is not advisable.

so on and so forth..

I would advise everyone of us to strictly follow his religion and suit it the best he can so that it complies with the objective of Worshipping ALLAH and following HIS commands.There is no short-cut. smile.gif

Meanwhile know that ..This world is some few days..and in the end you will be answerable to only one GOD.. smile.gifsmile.gif

-Lily-   

I think reform is necessary, but it depends on which side you see it from. I think Muslims must stop this indifference to what happens to our religion & anyone outside our own family.

Reform through returning to the Quran & Sunna. Take our own community as an example, most people's knowledge of Islam is based on hear-say.

Muslims need to be reformed not Islam. Of course weaker minds think invention in religion is clearly justified to deal with current 'difficulties'. Nobody said it was going to be easy.

Originally posted by WaTerLily:

Muslims need to be reformed not Islam. Of course weaker minds think invention in religion is clearly justified to deal with current 'difficulties'. Nobody said it was going to be easy.

That was a good quote.Muslims and not ISLAM need Reform.Conformity is required.

Allah said

This is the verse from Quran

"There is no compulsion in religion Verily, the Right Path has become distinct from the wrong path Whoever disbelieves in Tâghût and believes in Allâh, then he has grasped the most trustworthy handhold that will never break And Allâh is All-Hearer, All-Knower"

Jamilah   

When I here the term ‘modern Muslims’ I literally get nauseous.

It is absolutely true that the mentality of some Muslims need to change as it is often corrupted by evil influences such as living in societies where one submits to their lusts is considered a LIBERATION!!. :eek:

The thing is Allah blessed us with a perfect religion in which the Quran guides us through all matters relieving one of doubt in a day and age when "moral dilemmas" are so common that the very fine line between good and bad, black and white is a now grey mesh redface.gif . And yet there people who have the audacity to ridicule Islam and pride themselves on their complex minds ,which is only a justification for a society abundant with souls drained of fulfilment and commitment to their creator, where their only object of worship is their desires.

In conclusion, the root cause of such a title is different for different groups. For some it is to cause disunity and dissent among Muslims and misguide them from their real purpose of life. Whilst for others particularly those who call themselves Muslims it is only a thirst for acceptance by others when there is not going to be any which propels them. Also, by claiming that Islam is outdated these people seek justification for their transgressions.

Asalmu Calykum sisters and brothers, :D

P.S Not only is Islam perfect it is an easy religion. Observe the five pillars of Islam and stay away from the major sins.