Sign in to follow this  
Modesty

I'm Scratching my Head

Modesty   

Salaams everyone,

I've noticed that muslims aren't as 'united' as I thought. I don't know how to write because i'm trying hard not to offend people. I'm also writing this because i'm extremely bored..(not feeling good also-make dua for me)..Anyways, it seems like the muslim youth is all talk. For the girls perspective, since I see them alot, and talk to them, most of the girls I know wear hijab, but they don't know how to act with the hijab.Why wear it if your not acting on it?But it's a choice I guess. Also, I've noticed most Somalis that try to be religious act like ...I don't know, 'arabic'..I like arabs, but it seems like most of the girls think wearing 'arab style' clothing equals being religious.Don't be offended , this is just my opinion. Secondly, I don't think most somalis don't like to discuss Islam, it's weird..I have 2 good religious sisters who are the only two i've seen thus far to be religious, but the rest are not.Whats the moral? Stop trying to act like 'arabs' for Allah's sake. Thanks

P.S. no offence, cheers

Haddad   

Originally posted by Modesty:

I've noticed that muslims aren't as 'united' as I thought.

In fact, Muslims are united. When Chechen Muslims are being massacred, Muslims feel pain, and yearn to do something tangible about it. The same about what's happening in Kashmir, Iraq and other parts of the Muslim world where all kinds of injustices are inflicted upon Muslims. The term "Muslims", I refer it to the average Muslim who make up the vast majority of Muslims. What is holding them from "yearn to do something tangible about it" is lack of Islamic leadership. The current leadership is in the grip and servitude of the enemies of Islam and Muslims. Only those who exercise independence, decision-making powers, assertiveness, furthering the interests of Muslims- will make progress and facilitate the wishes of Muslims who "yearn to do something tangible about it." The closest functioning Islamic leadership is Iran. Iran today, is a force to reckon with, and perhaps the strongest Islamic country. It's clear the reason why it achieved that status.

Why wear it if your not acting on it?

Because it's still better than to do otherwise.

...but it seems like most of the girls think wearing 'arab style' clothing equals being religious.

The reason is because Somalia is geographically close to Arabia, and there has been centuries of interactions (commercially, culturally, socially) between the two sides- hence, the influence. I am sure if Somalia was close to China, it would have been influenced by the Chinese. Besides, nothing is wrong with being influenced by people whom you share with Islam.

Modesty   

Oh..Haddad, thanks for "clarifying" these things for me. However, I still don't believe muslims are "united", of course we feel bad when we see muslims in other countries being slaughtered, but look at the muslims in the "west" are we united? I don't think so. Most of us probably don't like eachother...I think.

I never looked at the geographical thing about Somalia and Arabia...hence the influence in clothing styles. That kinda makes sense.

i will say no we are not united because there are many deviant groups today, everyone calls them self’s Muslims but not many are actually are upon the haqq.

There are many different groups, eg the tableeqs, hizp tahrir and many more, so because of this it is not surprising we are not all united

The prophet SAW said the best of people are those from my generation then those who came after then those who came after so it is important that we ascribe our self’s to the first three generation the salaf us salihun ( pious predecessors).

So the reason why we are not united is because many Muslims today are not upon the correct aqeeda

Haddad   

Originally posted by Modesty:

Most of us probably don't like eachother...I think.

Only those who practice Islam like/love each other. Most of us who live in the West have abandoned the teachings of Islam, and adopted alien teachings. On what basis would we like each other in the West? Nationalism? Speaking Somali? Well, we don't even like each other in Somalia. Besides, the alien teachings we have adopted taught us individualism and ignoring collective responsibility. For example, you encounter a brother/sister on a path towards self-destruction, and you just go about your business, his/her status not concerning you.

I tell ya 1 thing....i don't know about before but since 9/11 happened Muslims are now more united if you ask me...the town I live in, you see alot of muslim youth practicing their diin, and masha-allah the way them boys dress you can see the sunnah shining. I say we ought to be greatfull to these kufars, bringing us closer...they might label us as terrorist...but honestly they are blind to see the impact this "war on terror" has had on us. and I honestly believe it will continue even to bring us more closer and closer till we are ready to face them on the Holy war/jihad.

May I take this opportunity to thank these Kufars for making me stronger muslimah now than I was 3years ago. thank you!

juba   

i understand what ur saying about the hijab and how some girls where it w/o the heart. Which is worse, a girl who wears the hijab and hates everything it stands for and only wears it cause of her parents or a girl who doesn't wear it atall?

Haddad   

Originally posted by juba:

Which is worse, a girl who wears the hijab and hates everything it stands for and only wears it cause of her parents or a girl who doesn't wear it atall?

That's an irrelevant question.

Miriam1   

Seriously, you would think that as muslims since birth, we would get over the hijab question!

Wear it or leave it.

Haddad isnt it true that, there shouldnt complusion in religion?

To impart knowledge of the dinn on your children is important, a girl of 16 who refuses to wear it, obivoulsy made her decision.

On the poster's question

I thnk the first time i was called a sister by a complete stranger(muslim) was when i came to Canada.I found it peculiar, but it was nice, knowing that ppl accepted you,are we united, i would say that we are not that bad, and i can truly see the younger generation taking it further. The whole arab thing, comeon now, many girls love the arab hijab style and the abaya rocks, but its true, abaya does not equal religious, all i want to say its hard, putting on the hijab in a western society for young girls, if fitting into the arab clique is what makes them comfortable, we shouldnt chastise them

Hope my rabblings made sense

juba   

Originally posted by Haddad:

[]That's an irrelevant question.

really? what exactly is irrelevant about it? :rolleyes: or is it because u couldn't answer it?

Haddad   

really? what exactly is
irrelevant
about it?

You have asked a hypothetical question asking; of two girls who don't wear hijab, which one is the worse?

bilan   

i think you are making assumptions,how do you know if girls wear it because of their parents,we do not know what is in their hearts, only Allah knows,even the prohet(PPUH) said that if the person says the shahada and does the basics then his judgement is with Allah only. plus i wear any hijab style that i like wether it is arab or pakistani. does that mean i am acting arab or pakistani,it just happens that their style goes with my personality,i do not see nothing wrong with it,btw do we(somalis) have our own hijab,other than jilbaabs. no one can force someone to wear hijab,and parents who do it,i think they are making mistakes. because they will not be with their children tomorrow.

walal .. is true if you are going to wear a hijab it should be from the heart and you should do it for allah.

but sister i wouldnt say parent are wrong for making their childeren wear becouse our parent have some much rights over us and it is their duty to tell their childeren what is right. as they will be asked if they have encouraged their kids to do the right thing.

howevere when we get older and leave home then the whole matter leaves their hand and they cant do anything. also when take our hijab of after leaving the house which am sure many sister do then although this is wrong at least they are not causing trouble with their parents.

so sister we just have to be patient with them as they are only doing their duty.

juba   

Originally posted by bilan:

i think you are making assumptions,how do you know if girls wear it because of their parents,we do not know what is in their hearts, .

um it kind of obvious, because as soon as their not their it's ripped off! my point is i think hijab is supposed to be from the heart and parents shouldn't impose it because then it will be from their hearts! Parents should advice in this issue ofcourse and the girl should find her own way! or put it on them when they are very young like 8. When parents make u do something u usually try to find a way not to!

Haddad   

parents shouldn't impose it because then it will be from
their
hearts!

The above statement is confusing.