Sign in to follow this  
Xaaji Xunjuf

A new memorial statue in the capital of Somaliland hargeysa 2012

. "Did you forget the air bombardments of taleex, did you forget the many battles the Dervishs fought bravely against the all odds e.g, Jidbaale, which costed the lives of 1000 men. "

no one died in talex ,they fled first appearance of few planes & yes SMH fought but the carnage that occured in siyad Barre's time surpassed anything in somali history specially in the north.What happened in the south was after siyad Barre left but nonetheless his making.I'm not making British saints but just take a book or ask your elders.There was no colonization as such in the north.If you tell me somalis in ethiopia & jubouti,yes they suffered specially ethiopia during Haile & mengistu...I'm not sure about the south,think kind lenient,too.Go to lascanod & ask about Sayid A.H. by far they the most suffered under him.The engagement with the British didn't even cost 1000s(in 21 yrs).Truth to be told!!!

and mind you the British was there for 50yrs after Sayid Hassan's death & my name hasn't changed to christopher nor that of any otha somali.The Sayid MAH tried & failed ,that hasn't decided later policies of the British Empire,if any it brought more troops for a while.

LANDER   

Faarax brown was being diplomatic when he said this memorial was ugly, its actually hideous. If they must build memorials we can do much better than this joke of a tank. I hope there aren't any statues built in memory of SNM soldiers it would be against islamic traditions to honor the mujahids with statues and replicas. Artistic expression is not limited to statues as far as memorials go so perhaps we need more creativity and some real life artist to be commissioned for these tasks. The hypocracy coming from Somaliland detractors never ceases to amaze me. Yesterday they were gun-ho about naming an airport after the late Abdulahi Yusuf (AUN), I believe it was a full 5-6 years ago that he was responsible for the killing of thousands of Somali people in Mogadishu when the ethiopian army was unleashed (unprecedented for Somalia and its capital), but hey let's sweep that under the rug he's a "national" hero now that he is deceased in the name of Somalinimo and all things reconciliatory. Now I ask them, if people who commit nothing short of treason are blessed with Airports being named after them in the context of Somalia, where do you get off commenting on anything to do with memorials?