Sign in to follow this  
ToasterThief

Stunned vs Non-Stunned meat

Bismilaahi Rahmaani Raheem.

I only ever buy my meat from Halal Monitoring Committee (HMC) approved butchers and restaurants (certified outlets can be found on their website:http://www.halalmc.co.uk/). Their meat and poultry is non-stunned. I have noticed though that many Muslims if not most; probably out of ignorance, buy from any old butcher/restaurant so long as there's a halal sign somewhere. I suspect that most of these outlets are authorised by the Halal Food Authority which allows stunning.

What y'all think?

BTW- I realise that the aforementioned organisations only operate in the UK, but let us know what the situation is whereever you live.

Nice. Next time i go to McD's or Wendy's, i'll make sure to ask the manager if their meat is "non.stunned" or not. That will determine if i eat there or not. Thanks sxb. :)

faarah22   

Horta even is it is stunned wont the neck veins be cut and blood be drained, so what is the problem there? or it will only be halaal if only poor animal had felt the full pain of being slaughtered. i support stunning and the UK should be ban non stunned slaughter period.

The concern here is weather the animal has died from a ‘violent blow’ before slaughter. Islam teaches us to be kind and benevolent with animals especially at slaughtering. So to try and overcome this some abattoirs use a lower voltage. But without a the constant supervision of a vet you may not know if the animal is dead, and even then the animal has suffered.

But remember, stunning in general is still very controversial both for Muslims and non-Muslims. I cannot recall where and when now, but I read an article not long ago where brain scans were carried out on cattle during slaughter and it was claimed that these animals did in fact feel pain.

I believe that a sharp knife to the front of the neck is best. This will severe the jugular vein and the animal will quickly lose consciousness. When the day comes that Faarah22 or anybody else can stick their wet hand in the plug hole and not feel pain, is the day that I’ll be sold on stunning as a painless method of animal slaughter. So for now just trust in the wisdom of your Creator.

Also have y’all noticed how one of the most favoured ways to commit suicide is to slit one’s wrists? (Nobody ever chooses electrocution) It appears as though the person just drifts into unconsciousness, but of course Allah knows best.

faarah22;806493 wrote:
Horta even is it is stunned wont the neck veins be cut and blood be drained, so what is the problem there? or it will only be halaal if only poor animal had felt the full pain of being slaughtered. i support stunning and the UK should be ban non stunned slaughter period.

I am not a doctor or or medical hygienist, but a stunned cow is different from non-stunned one. First, the heart is not at ease for non-stunned and when slaughtered at jugular vein, it pumps blood more forcibly, along with fats in the blood. it is different for stunned animal. The animal is at rest and the blood xoog kuma soo baxaayo, oo wasaqdana kama soo baxeyso. More blood (some not healthy at all) would remain in the slaughtered animal's meat.

Saas ugu wacan in saa'id loogu cayilo eating too much fast food stuff, plus xataa jirooyin laga qaadaa because all the animals are stunned prior slaughtering.

It is also this very same reason why the slaughtered animal is hung upside-down -- to drain out almost all the blood.