Sign in to follow this  
Nur

Sharia Law, Are we Ready For IT?

Nur   

Are We Ready For Sharia Law?

A sister once asked me on another thread the need to enforce the stoning of the adulterer clause in the Sharia in Somalia today, here was my response, please read and reflect, here is the text of my response:

Bismillah wa bihi nastaciin.

Islam is a wholesome way of life, it was completed at the time of prophet Muhammad SAWS. Later, the years that followed, Islam as a community, witnessed blossoming, and then slow death that many are betting that it is all over today.

The first community of Islam were persecuted in Makkah, they fled to Medina and found sympathy among the people of Medina who supported this new faith and gave it a launching pad.

It was in Medina that the laws of stoning were reconfirmed, as the Jews who lived in Medina had the same law in their holy books ( read Suuratul Maaedah). When I say the laws were reconfirmed , I mean that the laws of Moses were binding until Muhammad SAWS appeared, at that point, the new prophet through divine revelation, had the choice to either abolish or sustain that law. ( the law was sustained)

Early in the last Century, The Caliphate, represented by Sultan Abdul Hamid of Turkey was dismantled and a new secular Turkey identifying itself with Europe was born. In a way, the last nail was hammered on the coffin of the Islamic Nation that lasted for 1400 years. Afterwards, nation- states were born and the European nations inherited much of the inheritance of this dead Caliph.

Holland Taking Indonesia, and the rest divided in the Berlin Conference that pretty much feasted on the world map as its rightful colonies. As Somalis, we became the property of three colonial masters, The British, Italians and the French. Because of that division, today, we eat fish and chips, spaghetti, and chocolate souffl� respectively. So you can see how united we are as a nation.

The last century witnessed the rebirth of Islam, after many Muslim intellectuals dusted out our lost heritage and realized the extent of damage done to our existence as a viable faith and a message for mankind.

These intellectuals, from Pakistan to Tunis, called for the rebirth of Islam as a state, not merely as a religion. Because unlike Christianity, Islam was formulated from the beginning as a state for the faithful. The proof of this statement resides in the Library of Congress, not in the card catalogue, but on the Main Dome roof as you walk in, look up the Main Dome Roof to see ISLAM engraved on the roof next to France and Britain as a state among states. A living and a fair testament America is offering the Muslim world for a lasting recognition.

Today, Islam is going through tumultuous times to reestablish itself, however, the times have changed not only in the sense of technology, but also in the sense, that, both Christianity and Judaism, our sister religions have been marginalized and are no longer religions for social change, and Islam is expected to follow suit.

Based on that quick background, many Islamic activists who want to reestablish Islam as a state for the faithful differ greatly, just as the Jews who have established Israel have differed on the creation of Israel, each one of them interpreting it his own way.

But the Jews ( as a faith and nation ) got their state when Britain's Balfour Declaration gave the Jews Palestine after the holocaust and the fundamentalist Jews were forced to go with the secular interpretation of the creation of Israel.

So today Muslims are living in nation states, grouped along geographical and ethnic lines, not faith. The laws of these nations are secular in nature with some honor mentioning of Islam as the official religion of the state, in most so called constitutions. The practical laws of these nations are the European colonial laws, like the French law, which ironically have borrowed some laws from the Hanafi school of thought, specially in the inheritance law.

In light of that background, and the fact that Islam as a legal entity is disenfranchised, taking the Islamic law into ones hands will portray Islam very badly to an audience that is in dire need for it.

Applying part of Islamic laws in makeshift courts, will alienate those who are sympathetic to Islam, because the beauty of Islam resides in its enforcement of Islamic laws as a WHOLESOME and COMPLETE jurisprudence, not selective pieces and parts.

The laws of Islam can only be enforced within a community that is willing to abide by the moral of the law before the letter of the law, and we all know, that such a community, does not exisit today, even if it exists in a geographical terms, it does not yet have the international community mandate or understanding that it needs to declare such a sovereign state.

We are thus in changing times, and as times change, we are suddenly finding ourselves again in old Mecca township and village setting, a small world after all, indeed.

And as such, we as Muslims have to deal with this new reality wisely by looking into the early Meccan period and the persecutions of the faithful and the Divine strategy of focusing their attention on the spiritual aspect and prayers and not on wars, retaliation and revenge, even when when unjustly attacked, Allah says:

( stop retaliating and establish regular prayers) Quraan.

In conclusion, Islam today governs the individual, not the community, so, up until a willing community which can best represent Islam in all spheres of life is born, applying the Islamic law in parts may not serve the best interests of Islam. A spare part for a Ford, will not work on a GM.

Wallahu Aclam

Nur

2003 eNuri Fiqhul Aqeedah

Wisdom Without Knowledge is better than Knolwedge without wisdom.

Nur,

Shari’a law are we ready for it? From my experience,regrettably, Muslims are not prepared for the Islamic shariyah or the establishment of the Khalifa. The general people are so far from understanding the beauty of Islam; its establishment would offend us. Most of us are indoctrinated by secular values; many laws in Islam offend us, the prohibition of music and prohibition of women travelling alone, the subjugation of the people of innovation. We either explain them away so that it fits our whims or we completely reject it. Many have now rejected Hadith because they feel it is contrary to their commonsense or values. If a khalifah were to establish shari’ah in contemporary time the general masses would feel oppressed.

salamu alaykum

Nur,

‘A spare part for a Ford may not’ literally ‘work on a GM’, but could we tweak it and somehow make it fit? Could we reconfigure it so we could use it till our sole GM gets to the next mechanic place? How long could we wait for a spare part whose factory has long ceased? And how big should the embracing community be, yaa Nur? What say you about the makeshifts courts in Mogadishu? Do they not have a legitimate purpose to serve? These are not rhetorical questions walaal. They are valid queries that need answers.

But one thing I agree with you; the challenges of reestablishing Islamic government largely emanate from within, and not from without. External challenges are not that big a threat compared to the lack of leadership that this sahwah suffers. It’s the tradition of Allah to withhold tamkiin (enabling factor to successfully and justly administer the divine objectives of Allah’s message and manage its political and economic complexity) from those whose managerial capacity is inadequate to the task, and whose spiritual readiness is not at the desired level. Those who work toward its end may as well be eligible, and perhaps get, His support and help but the grant of tamkiin may be postponed. That much I can understand. But I could not swallow the suggestion, from your piece, to stay put and suffer until a comprehensive Islamic government with a global reach is borne. It must start from somewhere, maaha yaa Nur?

Come back yaa sheekhii, and lecture more. This is very interesting thread. Thanks much, and as always may Allah credit to your xasanaat account!

Nur   

Xiin Bro.

Let say that you are Genral Motors CEO, would you accept, from the standards and quality point of view, the use of non genuine parts on your car models? specially when its brought to your attention that customers are running their cars with a reconditioned Ford engine not designed for its use, a rigged elictrical wiring from Mitsubishi, a Chrysler power train?

When we say Islamic, we have to make sure that we are branding it as genuine Islam, not a rigged system, otherwise, the damage to the brand name will be irreversible.

As for applying parts of islamic Sharia in Anarchist communities such as Mogadishu, we must recogocnize that Islamic Sharia is best applied when the ground work is done for its application, In Mogadishu, the foundations are not in place, the staff is not trained, triabalism remians to be a driving force ( Faqiih tolkii kama janno tago, meaning, a religious scholar does not enter paradise alone without his tribe, he is normally expected to go wherever they go, hell or heaven).

The Sharia courts in Mogadishu may not be conviction driven which is necessary but not sufficient condition for its success, in reality they are need driven, and for that matter the same courts can work in Watts, Los Anegles, Haarlem in New York, and in deadly Southeast Washington DC. Just approach mayors in these cities and you may be given the approval, once you weed out the criminals, the credit goes for the mayor in next election, and the selective Sharia clauses that bhelped him get votes is discarded.

The Sharia law is the culmination of many processes that should all be in place before it can be applied. Beginning with a sovereign territory, an educated citizenry who subscribe to it, a wise judicial system, and an ethical executive branch of government to enforce it. We must recognize that if majority of people are looting, its due to failure of governmemt to educate, lack of planning of resources for their needs or a general breakdown of law and order. To rebuild, we need peace first, so these Mogadishu courts are doing a good job only if they would not use Islamic banner since there is nothing Islamic about what is going on in Somalia. ( Peoples Courts would be a catchy logo) Secondly, work with Dawa groups that are successfull in converting Moriyans to a Muslim, and thirdly educate the masses through media.

Nur

Jamilah   

Asalamu Calykum,

The sharica law is meant to govern our lives (as Muslims) and thus it is should not be a questionable matter whether or not it should be applied, let alone whether or not we are prepared for it. However, as we have established in prior posts unfortunately there is no Muslim nation which currently has it put into service in its entirety. Although this is slightly worrisome it shouldn’t burden us too much considering as brother Nur put it “Islam today governs the individual, not the communityâ€. So we may not be able to punish the adulterer accordingly we can stop ourselves from committing such a sin.

Originally posted by Salafi da'wa:

Shari’a law are we ready for it? From my experience,regrettably, Muslims are not prepared for the Islamic shariyah or the establishment of the Khalifa. The general people are so far from understanding the beauty of Islam; its establishment would offend us. Most of us are indoctrinated by secular values; many laws in Islam offend us, the prohibition of music and prohibition of women travelling alone, the subjugation of the people of innovation. We either explain them away so that it fits our whims or we completely reject it. Many have now rejected Hadith because they feel it is contrary to their commonsense or values. If a khalifah were to establish shari’ah in contemporary time the general masses would feel oppressed.

salamu alaykum

Although brother some misguided folks may feel that way , it should not influence the rest of us who long for the full implementation of the Sharica law. Afterall quality of the individuals and not quantity should be our priority.

Nur   

Jamilah Sis

Good points, JZK. My question to you is, Since the application fo the sharia is the soul of the Ummah, and without it we are a dead Ummah, then, to get our soul back what are the steps?

Nur

Originally posted by Jamilah:

The sharica law is meant to govern our lives (as Muslims) and thus it is should not be a questionable matter whether or not it should be applied, let alone whether or not we are prepared for it.

Everything we humans do is open to scrutiny. To assert otherwise is pure malarky. How can you seriously posit a law system enforced and interpreted by humans is not open to questioning?

With regard to the current readiness of somalis for Sharia, I'd have to say no go. From what we have seen of Sharia law in practice -- in Afghanistan, Iran, S. Arabia, Nigeria and other places in the world -- I fully object its imposition on any people. Lets be realistic, the Sharia law would have to be imposed since personal freedoms and rights of many citizens will be curtailed.

Khalaf   

Salaamu lah

"The rule is to none but Allah ." [6: 57]

"If anyone rules by other than what Allah has revealed they are kafiroon (unbelievers)." [5:44] similar ayats are [4:58-60, 4:65]

My question brother Nur, since Muslims today are not following the sharia are they Kafiroon as the ayat above says? just confused, can't classify someone kafir who says the testimony I know. transgressor-but not kafir. As another hadith says one amir is required:

Imam Ahmed reported on the authority of Abdullah Ibnu Amru that the Messenger of Allah (SAW) said: "It is forbidden for three persons to be together in a secluded place without appointing one of them as their amir". (Sahih)

"The knots of Islam will be undone one by one until when everyone of them is undone, and the first one to be undone is the ruling and the last one is the prayer."

This hadith confused me, thinking sharia won’t come about until the end of times with the coming of Mahdi and Isa ibn Maryama. Allah Knows best.

But let us not lose hope Allah and our Rasul (saw) has given us glading tidings:

“Allah has promised, to those among you who believe and work righteous deeds, that He will, of a surety, grant them in the land, inheritance (of power), as He granted it to those before them; that He will establish in authority their religion - the one which He has chosen for them; and that He will change (their state), after the fear in which they (lived), to one of security and peace: 'They will worship Me (alone) and not associate aught with Me. 'If any do reject Faith after this, they are rebellious and wicked.â€[sura Nur]

"This affair[islam] will reach what is reached by the night and the day; and Allaah will not leave a dwelling of brick, nor fur, except that Allaah will cause this Deen to enter it bringing honour or humiliation. Honour which Allaah gives to Islaam and humiliation which Allaah will give to disbelief" [saheeh Related by Ahmad (4/103) and Ibn Hibbaan in his Saheeh (no.1631). ].

Narrated by Ahmed ra, where the Prophet (sallAllahu ‘alayhi wasallam) said, "Prophethood will remain amongst you for as long as Allaah wishes it to, then Allaah will raise it up when He wishes to raise it up. Then there will be Khilaafah upon the manner of Prophethood and it will remain amongst you for as long as Allaah wishes it to, then Allaah will raise it up when He wishes to raise it up. Then there will be harsh kingship which will remain amongst you for as long as Allaah wishes it to, then Allaah will raise it up when He wishes to raise it up. Then there will be tyrannical kingship and it will remain amongst you for as long as Allaah wishes it to, then Allaah will raise it up when He wishes to raise it up. Then there will be Khilaafah upon the manner of Prophethood. Then he was silent"

"Indeed Allaah gathered up the earth for me so that I saw its east and its west; and indeed the dominion of my Ummah will reach what was gathered up for me from it." [Muslim]

Inshallah if i said anything wrong, please correct me, and to Allah is our final return. peace out.

Nurow, I envy your caution (a sign of a judicious man) and appreciate the distinction you made (need vs. conviction) as to the approach and the nature of Mogadishu Islamic courts. I also have no doubt that they are working on a hazardous ground; shaky foundations, inadequate religious training, and, above all, chronic tribalism. But I am still not convinced (though admittedly I am fleeting with more questions than answers) about the rigidity of those processes you cited. I always viewed the process of implementing Sharia to be in the form of a gradual contract between a certain consenting community and the leadership of the dacwah. If a certain community, say Hawlwadaag in Mogadishu, decide to have Islamic Shariica served on them, I fail to see a reason to have their wishes not honored. Clearly it is not an easy task to enforce a Shariica penal code on a society whose sole source of legitimacy is the clan. But trying it nevertheless is not only a noble cause, but practical as well. Perfection should never be the goal, yaa Nur. Genuine but inexact deed is acceptable, I thought.

As for the confusion or the potential misrepresentation which imprecise implementation of the Shariica could cause, that’s a very legitimate point with which I would agree absent of my belief that reasonable people would assess these Islamic courts holistically. Every great empire had a humble beginning, I am sure you would agree, and as long the course is right, minor mistakes are both expected and negligible relative to the larger picture of the process. The chickens are not going to come home to roost, I insist, for a slight jurisprudential deviation or a questionable alliance those courts might undertake in the process of reintroducing Shariica to the masses.

While the warlords are fighting it out, a slow but sure appearance of a new system is beginning to peek. Imperfect as it may be, it is an alternative to what has been the norm for a decade and half. Granted that it is now both in its infancy and in the hands of men who have a very limited background as to how to manage a complex institution like the one they are trying to erect. But don’t you think their effort is justified (hence, the usage of the brand) as the masses suffers for the lack of government? Should the masses live in this void till a central government emerges, and forgo the service of these courts? What is the maqsidu shariicah in this one yaa Nur? Does the harm (potential misrepresentation of Islamic brand) outweigh the benefit (providing alternative governance for the Mogadishu residents and honing judicial and administrative skills of wadaada) of the service these courts provide? Could partial (gradual) implementation of the Shariica ever be permissible?

PS:- My views are based on Somalia’s failed state reality otherwise the question of sovereignty would have been relevant one to discuss.

Nur   

Xiinfaniin walaal

You write:

But I am still not convinced (though admittedly I am fleeting with more questions than answers) about the rigidity of those processes you cited.

Answer:

Walaal Xiin , Sharia of Allah is a sacred ordinance, conforming to it is a sign of surrender to Allah, rejecting it is a sign of kufr, as such we must be diligent when presenting it for appication into our lives.

Sharia is applied after those whose affairs are in their hands ( Sovereign) have suurrendered to Allah in deed , as a mean for establishing an Islamic State to fulfil its duties entrusted to it by Allah SWT on earth to uphold justice, enjoing what is right and forbid what is evil. An Islamic state in turn has its requirements.

Adherence to Sharia law is a form of surrender to Allah's authority, its thus a from of worship, Allah SWT says : inil xukmu illaa lillah, amara allaa tacbuduu illaaa iyaah dhalikal diinul qayim, walaakinna aktharunnasi laa yaclamuun : Meaning; Law making is reserved for Allah SWT, He has ordered that you shall not worship other than Him, (because) that is the right way of life ( Deen) but most people do not realize (the fact) ( since any other judicial power constitutes to be a sovereign, other than Allah, adherence to its law is tantamount to worship othet than Allah )

Such a sacred ordinance can only be carried out by a competent entity like an Islamic State. The state has to be defined in terms of the Sharia auspices from which it will draw its legitimacy, in light of the Quraan and Sunnah.

The best definition of an Islamic State in modern times was the one adopted by the delegates of 31 Muslim scolars that convened in Karachi, Pakistan during the conference of ( Establishment Of An Islamic State ) held on the 21 - 24 of January 1951. Here are the set of conditions they have agreed upon as a consensus to be met before a state can be an Islamic State. ( below is my rusty translation from the original document in Arabic ):

1.The Real Power, behind legislation and establisihment of state should belong to ALLAH alone. ( TASHRIIC+ TAKWIIN) in Somali ( Maxaa la isugu tagay ( Qarannimo, Qabiil, Dhul?), maxaana la isku xukumayaa?)

2. There should not be any law, ordinance or a directive that conflicts with the Quraan and Sunnah.

3. The State should not be a geographically, ethnically, regionally, defined state. It should be established on a globalist scope for all mankind, transcending all temporal boundaries.

4. The state must work toward establishing good, and provide all of its means, and prohibit evil, and deter aginst it by all means.

5. The State must work toward the unification of all Muslims all over the world, in deed, and to feel their plight similar to how the human body senses its self , the whole body feeling pain when part of it is in pain. ( Hadeeth)

6. The state must provide for its citizens basic needs of shelter, food , education, healthcare, and specially for the physically or mentally disabled, or the unemployed, State shall not differentiate beneficiaries by social status or ethnic previllage.

7. All citizens without distinction are equal under the Sharia, such as protection of life, property, dignity, freedom of worship, personal freedoms, freedom of speech, freedom to travel without hindrance, freedom of association, freedom of trade, equalm opprtunity for employement and advancemenmt, and equality for reecieving public assistance.

8. No citizen should be denied any of the above rights without a legal decree from Islamic Sharia, no one should be punished without due process of law in an impartial court applying the sharia and extracting its legitimacy from Quraan and sunnah, and allowance for self defense aginst charges.

9. The head of state should be Muslim, Male, Dependable,with clean record, Credible, just, known for his piety, thoughtful and careful decision making method.

10. The head of state should be the Chief Executive of affairs, with previllage to delegate parts of his duties to a person or an institution that he trusts.

11. Head of state should consult according to Shuraa principle with people of knowledge in the specific fields, Ahulul Xal wal caqd (Those most knowledgeable in the Sharia) He should not dictate without consulting them.

12. Head of state should not make any law ineffective, partially or as a whole, and he should not dictate without first conferring with the shuraa committee.

13. The public represented by the ahlul Xal wal caqd ( Those most knowledgeable in the Sharia) reserve the right to elect the head of state, or to relieve him of his responsibility with a majority as Islam has prescribed.

14.Head of State has no immunity against the Sharia law, he is equal with all citizens in right and responsibilities.

15. Members of government, its employees and the public should follow a single process and system, and should equally stand before a public court in the land.

16. The Judicial branch should be separate and independent from the executive branch for passing judgements.

17. No interpretation of any law is allowed if its not in line with quraan and sunnah.

18. State will not tolerate any advocacy activity that clearly opposes Islamic principles, threatening the very existence of the nation.

Questions:

1.Based on the above, which comes first the state with its conditions, or the Sharia?

2. We have seen Sharia declared all over the world, from States in Nigeria to Indonesia, where in the spectrum of above are they fitting?

3. You say, that perfection should not be the goal, how much of the above conditions do you see important?

4. I am sure that you agree that Walaa ( allegiance) should be for Allah ALONE, what happenes when its for the Tribe? the rescent clash in Mogadishu was immediately switched from Jihad to targeting a tribe. Walaa being part of tawheed, is it well understood that its for Allah? is it a minor thing in your opinion?

Now, my answers to some of your questions.

I believe that residents of mogadishu have every right to defend themselves, properties and dignity and faith, if they choose islam as their faith, its should not be for convenience, its a complete set of a devine regimen, applying parts of it and discarding parts is more damaging to Islam as a brand as it makes it ineffective. ( The Sharia will only be applied on common thiefs, not on powerful head of Qabiil)

From architecture point of view if you will ( or Anarchitecture in our case), the question that bounces back at you for your suggestion is, if we have to build a wholesome house, shouldnt all parts of the house be designed in a way that will complemet each other? shouldnt they all conform to a standard upon which they will all aspects seamlessly fit?

As for your theory of gradual application, in a way I find it conflicting with your previously held stand ( Qowlul Qadeem) that we should stick with Quraan and Sunnah to the fullest without compromise, for which I have shifted my views of gradual change and preferred yours to my old view, its precisely the same argument that will accomodate a female head of state as a need based solution for the Ummah at these troubling times, if we indeed open the door to this gradual change theory, like science of genetics, no one will know where it will lead, its scary at best, we need either a past history of success following this method, or a detailed strategy of how it will happen, you know me, I am flexible, I dont have a permanent position on any issue, just a permanant search of Allah through the guidance of His prophet SAWS Sunnah.

Finally about your question on Maqaasidul Shariica on this issue?

You see Xiin walaal, Fiqhul Usuul and Maqaasidul Shariica are two complementary disciplines in islamic Jurisprudnece:

1. Fiqhul Usuul, deals with how things are. Its based on proofs ( addillah). In other words, the letter of the law.

2. Maqaasidul Shariica, deals with how things can be. Its based on what the lawmaker intended behind legislation. In other words, the Moral of The law

In the application of Sharia law, Maqasidul Sharia places the protection of the Sharia in the first priority level, one notch higher than the protection of life, as you have seen, if Sharia is in place human life, property and dignity can be protected, if its not, then we shall continue in the anarchy in Somalia.Ù therefore, in order to apply the sharia fully, as first priority, all necessary means must be considered, however, it should never be compromised expediciously due to a passing need.

Nur

Nur   

KHALAF Bro.

You ask:

My question brother Nur, since Muslims today are not following the sharia are they Kafiroon as the ayat above says? just confused, can't classify someone kafir who says the testimony I know. transgressor-but not kafir?

Answer:

The testimony is like signing a rental contract for a property, once you sign, you are bound to execute what you have committed to, if on the other hand you sign a rental agreement, without reading it, or understanding its contents, then we have another Aqeedah discussion froum. If you are the landlord, and one of the tennants who signed the tennant contract breaks the contract, and then claims that he does not understand it, what would be your response?

Nur

Bro Nur, as much as I support those religious men in Mogadishu and like them succeed, the argument you presented is insurmountable, and therefore, for now, I am forced to agree with you on the basis of the lack of full sovereignty of these courts. It is apparent that these Islamic courts apply the shariicah law selectively. Though I will always support them politically, till I do more research on this issue, I will have to have reservations on the legal binding of this need-based-shariicah-implementation . As for my theory of strict adherence to the dictates of the divine law and my loyalty to the salafi approach of interpreting it, that I still hold and I did not depart it walaal.

I always apposed armed dacwah in the house of Islam, but I thought the intractable political and security circumstances in Mogadishu warrant some exceptions. In the light of your analysis however I realize the wind behind your argument, and till I do more research on this issue I have to control my personal desires for a speedy reestablishment of shariicah in Mogadishu. Perfection should not be the goal, I still hold, but we shouldn’t lower the quality bar in favor of expediency, I concur.

So we are not ready for it yet, I agree. But what shoud we do in the meantime, I ask?

PS: To continue this discussion I will come back for the questions you posed.

Nur   

Dear Brother Xiin

I pray that Allah make us all Xunafaa ( plural of Xaniif), Abraham was a Xaniif, Xaniif is one who has his sights on his Lord, and always seeks Him, because from time to time we drift away by the tide, but then, we home-in back to our Lord, leaving all other things for His sake.

Al Xanafiyyah which is the nickname of Islm, thus is teh faith who adherents always seek their Lord, by requesting guidnace 17 times a day for the straight path ( 4 rakcah for Zuhr, 4 asr, 3 Maghrib, 4 isha and 2 fajr) with Sunnah, it jumbs to 40 times a day ( including the Qiyaamulleil prayers).

Now, being a Xaniif means that we shoud never have preconceived positions on issues except for readiness to align our positions with any proof that is supported by Quraan and Sunnah.

I pray for Allah's guidance, and Xusnul Khaatimah.

Nur

Jamilah   

Originally posted by Socod_badne:

quote:Originally posted by Jamilah:

The sharica law is meant to govern our lives (as Muslims) and thus it is should not be a questionable matter whether or not it should be applied, let alone whether or not we are prepared for it.

Everything
we humans do is open to scrutiny. To assert otherwise is pure malarky. How can you seriously posit a law system enforced and interpreted by humans is not open to questioning?

With regard to the current readiness of somalis for Sharia, I'd have to say
no go
. From what we have seen of Sharia law in practice -- in Afghanistan, Iran, S. Arabia, Nigeria and other places in the world -- I fully object its imposition on any people. Lets be realistic, the Sharia law would have to be imposed since personal freedoms and rights of many citizens will be curtailed.
Based on that mentality SB you will never go far both in this world and the hereafter. I mean that’s equivalent to saying the words from Allah (SWT) in the holy Quran are nothing more than words interpreted by man :eek: You think that implementing the sharia law is a “no go†zone…since you are so wise and knowledgably (I hope you can pick up on the sarcasm) what do you suggest? And by the way your justification for not employing the sharia law in Somalia due to the problems evident in the countries you have identified only demonstrates the error of man and nothing more. If you honestly believe that the sharia law restricts on personal freedoms I suggest you reassess your definition of freedom.

Nur, thanks for the clarification. In regrads to the question you were asking for the time being I will stick to reading the exchange of ideas between you and xiinfaniin.

-Lily-   

Good topic, I think the fact that most Msulim ppl I come across WANT a Sharia state is a good start. I don't think the right mechanisms are in place yet. It will be a more powerful movement when it comes from ppl's hearts and spreads outwards. Individuals don't to depend on a state to tell them what's right or not. If Allah's law is practised at home, in the community, surely it will spread to the country, willingly.

Jawahir, I think JB is one of thsoe ppl who have rejected the Islamic faith and seeks spiritual fulfilment elswhere.