Sign in to follow this  
Ashkiro

How to know which products are halal?

Ashkiro   

I came across an article on a muslim website (strangly enough this late). A while ago I had a conversation with a friend, her make-up and the "stress" of making wudu. I use the word strange because I never even stopped to think about the little things, such as "hidden" ingredients which are contained in everyday items we use, such as lip gloss, moisturizers, hair gel, and so on. So I dig in my purse pull out my lip gloss, read the ingredients and found this: oleyl alcohol, afterwards I search dear google and was unable to find a discussion on the web on this topic, except for the website below, which gave me more questions than answers. The website stated, it's halal only if from plant base and not animal base, well there is no number on the back of my lip gloss to call and gain access to that information. Just wondering anyone ever have these concerns? Hopefully I will get to the bottem of this sooner rather than later, but It's very important to perfect our deen. And there just seems to be so much misinformation. Another point that has been bothering me and I've come across conflicting views, is making wudu and afterwards if the wudu becomes broken, it's permissible to just wash over your socks, some people say it must be leather and not just the regular socks or your wudu will be void.

May Allah forgive us. smile.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oleyl_alcohol

http://www.yanabi.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=68&threadid=1787&enterthread=y

N.O.R.F   

So I dig in my purse pull out my lip gloss, read the ingredients and found this: oleyl alcohol

Does it make you intoxicated? There are many products with alcohol content (fragrance, doedrants etc)

making wudu and afterwards if the wudu becomes broken, it's permissible to just wash over your socks, some people say it must be leather and not just the regular socks or your wudu will be void.

I do the above myself. There is hadith wherein the Prophet (peace be upon him) brushed water over his footwear (a sock or similar).

Will get back

Ashkiro   

Is it really a matter of getting intoxicated or not? For example, touching a beer can/wine or even being involved in such work dealing with alcohol, one will not be intoxicated, but still deep down there is something there which says it's rather wrong and on the haram side even to come near it, forget putting it on a part of your body. Of course there are many products which contain these contents, the dilemma is being sure what is what, if there ever can be clear certainty that is. I know of that hadith, but scholars have been divided on the issue, I still follow it myself when pressed for time, but there is a little voice of doubt there that I can't seem to get rid of. And Allah Knows Best.

N.O.R.F   

You obviously can't be touching alcohol bottles and entering such establishments.

As for using cosmetic and medicinal products with alcohol content, that is a lengthy discussion with varying views.

I'm trying to find an article on it.