Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

History is made. Abdi Warsame wins Minneapolis City Council seat

Baashi   

Hambalyo to Abdi Warsame. Somalis in Minneapolis have shown that they do count and they want to be represented in the city hall by one of their own who understands their needs. Abdi showed the way and Insha'Allah others will follow suit.

That's how to run and win campaigns. Well done.

Baashi   

Abbaas;984770 wrote:
Yaa ii'sheegi kara halka aan ka heli/akhrisan karo, taariikh nololeedkiisa oo dhamaystiran, Mahadsanid.

Check the city website. I am sure they will post a brief bio of each council women or man.

Very important for East African community, for Migrants and particularly for Somalis in Minneapolis.

Congrats to Abdiwarsame. Late Samatar broke a barrier, and Warsame followed suit.

For those who were proved to be small in their attempts to block Warsame from being elected for clan reasons are proved that they are, well , small both in thinking and fortunately in numbers as well.

What a great moment, congrat to the Brother Mr.A Samatar, this is not the end of it but the begining of more Somali Americans running for offices across USA.

Rahima   

Of course living half way across the world in Australia i would know who Abdi Warsame is and what he stands for. Similarly, i guess I'm supposed to know who he is on SOL- although I can now see why some are loosing their heads, illeen he is our resident politician (the original).

Che,

I'm not familiar with the American system, but here in Australia we have a billion and one Somali organisations with some of their leaders vying for political positions. Most are dormant but the few active ones (bar a few religious ones) only serve the interests of their qaraabo- hence my comment.

Rahima. It's very hard for anyone to make politics into family enterprise, one with economic benefits. Politicians make more money as lobbyists once they leave office.

Rahima   

No one in Australia has really gotten that far yet,lol but everything here is a family affair. Folks will support or oppose you based on lineage. Perhaps they will forsake that if they actually make it. Anyhow, ilaahay ha u fududeeyo.

Rahima   

Che -Guevara;984886 wrote:
They fight over peanuts, very sad business, but there is new generation in the making.

Hopefully a new generation with different views and new ideas. It's a tough business dealing with our people, especially when it comes to politics.

Safferz   

I'm interested to know more about what work was done to mobilize the Somali community in Minneapolis to go out and vote. In Toronto, we've had a number of Somalis go for positions in municipal and even provincial governments in heavily Somali wards/ridings, but it seems those demographic numbers don't quite translate into voting numbers. A successful campaign in Toronto would require a grassroots voter registration/education campaign for the Somali community as well, I believe.

Miyir   

Warsame is the man to ask, Somalis big in numbers but lacking in organization, we can easily duplicate Warsame's dynamic campaign ,new era for Somalis in diaspora.

Thank You Warsame